Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Monsey residents - What do you think?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Thu, Dec 27 2012, 11:07 pm
and also, I agree with merrymom's advice of good blocks in new hempstead with younger families, I think those blocks she mentioned are supposed to be really nice blocks....

amother

Post Fri, Dec 28 2012, 10:33 am
op here. I wanted to thank everyone for their input. I really value every piece of information as it does add up and gives me a sense of each neighborhood.

Please keep the info coming. Any musings or opinions about a street and area is most welcome.

Also how did you figure out which neighborhood to settle in and are you happy with your choice?

And of course...Good shabbos to you all!

amother

Post Fri, Dec 28 2012, 1:34 pm
amother wrote:
to the ex-chassidish amother: I am sorry for hurting you.... and I am sorry for what you went through....

when I refer to chassidish bums, I mean a very specific crowd. my brother in law is ex-chassidish, and he is very frum and spiritual and not at all a bum. he and my sis (who was never chassidish) plan to send to litvish yeshivas and stuff like that- which means he is ex-chassidish, as in not chassidish anymore. trust me, nobody thinks of him as a bum, even though he went to viznitz as a child and now lives a very litvish lifestyle. he is very frum but not at all chassidish.

then there are the chassidish bums. they are more like rebellious, confused, more frum in public than in private..... you must know what I am talking about.... they are just confused I guess. very unfortunate situation obviously, nobody should ever have to feel so confused and disenfranchised with yiddishkeit. but I wouldnt feel comfortable living with that crowd, just cuz we are different types. its kind of a culture of its own, I think?

Thank you. You didn't hurt me but I appreciate your post and agree with it.
I have friends living in Airmont (and in Chestnut Ridge and in Main Monsey and in Forshay and in Concord) who are as you described your sister and bil and thought your post was referring to them. They are wonderful people.

From what I see it, New Hempstead is mostly Yeshivish to modern Yeshivish, Chabad, and growing very nicely. Chestnut Ridge is mainstream Yeshivish, small amount of fine Chassidish maybe some Chabad as well and growing slowly. Airmont is the most mixed. You have ultra Chassidish, fine yet open-minded chassidish, some ex-Chassidish (confused thus rebellious). Yeshivish to modern Yeshivish, some Chabad, Heimish, and some MO. Also growing nicely.

devorahh

Post Sat, Dec 29 2012, 7:22 pm
We're Chabad and line in airmont would be happy to give the the good and not so good about living here.

amother

Post Sat, Dec 29 2012, 10:07 pm
devorahh wrote:
We're Chabad and line in airmont would be happy to give the the good and not so good about living here.

I pm'd you.

amother

Post Sat, Dec 29 2012, 11:16 pm
I'm a long time Monsey-ite and I can tell you from experience that BYCC is not for someone who is accepting of all types of frumkeit. It is a rigid school which makes girls who are not from strictly FFB/Yeshivish backgrounds feel out of place. My younger girls switched to Ateres BY, which is considered practically OTD over at BYCC, and I find them to be so much more "normal" and natural toward their Yiddishkeit.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating