Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
What do seminary girls do for Pesach vacation?
Previous  1  2

ruth

Post Sat, Dec 29 2012, 10:23 pm
[quote="amother]....when I did a year abroad in a place I had no family (in a city full of frum ppl) as an exchange student Shabbat and Chaggim were a nightmare- noone invited me ever or even knew abt me- and almost pushed me to go completely OTD.[/quote] That is so sad. You didn't have a kesher with a shul or rav? I thought the definition of being an exchange student is to be with a family. I am sorry you went through this.

ruth

Post Sat, Dec 29 2012, 10:27 pm
c.c. cookie and isramom8, it is about my dd. Can you pm me with more details? She just started a program and I don't know yet what is the schedule and so forth. I emailed the rav.

I will propose the various ideas to her.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 12:54 am
It all depends how much money they have. And the values that they were raised with. There was a blog called Semstory hat I used to read years ago. It was quite interesting and eyeopening...

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 4:51 am
As a person that spends sukkos in Israel the only thing I can tell you please dont try dumping her on a neighbor that is going for yom yov. You will be throwing a financial burden on your neighbor. Trust me the food adds up and you are not the only ones that will be putting them in an awkward situation to say no. They come to Israel for yom tov to spend time with their family and be on vacation and not coming to worry about your dear daughter.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 4:52 am
(1) There is the 2-day chag issue. I am sure that in American enclaves it's not a problem to find someone to host for a 2nd day but for the rest of Israel - what are we supposed to do with her during our Chol HaMoed?
(2) Chol HaMoed is family time. People with cars like to drive around, go places. What do you do with an extra if your car isn't big enough?

Anyway, I think the seminaries should be addressing the issue, and not making the parents worry.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 4:56 am
I would call the sem and ask what arrangements they offer for the girls as well as ask how many are staying.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 5:48 am
Fox wrote:

This is part of the reason that DH and I decided that seminary is not for our family. Extended time in Israel? Yes. Yomim Tovim on a catch-as-catch-can basis? No.

Seminary in Israel or seminary at all?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children