Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Daily routine according to Halacha
Previous  1  2  3

motheroftwo

Post Thu, May 12 2005, 7:08 pm
talking about r' Aryeh Kaplan. I think he has great books and pamphlets about different aspects of Judaism. He delves into the deeper meaning of certain mitzvos - like mikvah, tefillin etc. I find him fascinating and very educational.

Pearl

Post Thu, May 19 2005, 7:14 am
CanadianChana, thank you for starting this thread, I find it highly inspiring!

and thank you very much freilich, for sharing your personal experience with us!

Thumbs Up to both!

Pearl

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 8:01 am
well, one thing we do is that dh and I sit on shabbos and learn together. about parashat hashavua or anything else. we do this in front of the children, so they sometimes join and ask questions.

btw, re books: " the secret of jewish femininity" is really lovely!

amother

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 11:45 am
If you are looking for inspiration I highly reccomend Nviim (Prophets) - they are overlooked a lot, however, they contain many moral and halachik lessons.

Neviim also talk about how and why the Batei Mikdashim were destroyed and what we must do to bring the geula.

meesi

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 5:59 pm
Pearl,

Thank you. I actually just read that book! The rebbetzin who is teaching me T'H gave it to me and I read the whole book the next day!

I try to do the weekly Parsha myself and with the kids, I like to print it off "Aish"-the family parsha- the kids love it.

Keep the info coming, please!

Todah!

Chana Very Happy

gryp

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 6:07 pm
CC- seems to me you know as much as any of us do Smile

meesi

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 6:40 pm
RG, thank you, but I certainly don't feel that way. I was raised in a traditional, but not observant home, and now I really feel that I want to do more. I am still trying to figure out if I need a blech, how to time everything to be ready for Shabbos, not to pass things to my dh during certain times of the month, etc.- in other words, all the "practicalities" of being observant that come so naturally to those of you who have the good fortune to have been raised FFB. I wish I had had that upbringing (not that my parents were not wonderful parents who sacrificed everything to give their children a Jewish education) so that I could know all of the "how-tos" now. Please, everyone, keep teaching me anything you think I need to know!

Thank you so much!!!!

Chana

chavamom

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 7:26 pm
CC - I don't know if you are in Toronto, but if you are, there are lots of classes availble both through aish ha torah and ohr someyach there. If you aren't near/in Toronto, there is something called 'partners in torah' where they make a 'match' for someone who will learn with you by phone for 1 hour a week. That might be a good idea for you, esp. since you aren't starting from ground zero.

gryp

Post Thu, May 26 2005, 7:42 pm
CC- im sure your parents were wonderful parents. all of us wish our parents had just __________ (fill in the blank) and still recognize that our parents really did the best they knew how to in raising us. the next steps are our own responsibility, to take what they taught us and further it as we see fit.
I would be happy to answer any question you have, seriously, and im sure a lot of people would be happy to. but we all have different stringencies and leniencies, and our own Rav that we follow. the best one to answer your questions is of course, your own Rav.
if you ask a question here, you will probably get a few different answers which will be very confusing. if you dont mind that, feel free to ask whatever question you have, and once you get all the answers you can ask your Rav which one you hold by.

amother

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 9:16 am
does anyone know where I can get a poster with al hamichya & borei nifashos? I'm ordering the asher yatzar one that motek posted. I've been saying all of these for many many years & still mess them up!!

newu

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 5:32 pm
Chana, thanks so much for starting this topic. Our backgrounds sound SO similar. These are things that I've always wanted to ask but felt like I should already know. It's been so helpful and interesting!

Motek

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 6:13 pm
amother wrote:
does anyone know where I can get a poster with al hamichya & borei nifashos?

Judaica stores may have them or stores catering to teachers that carry posters etc. like the Torah Umesorah store

Long ago I bought small laminated two-sided bentchers that also have al ha'michya (no borei nefashos though)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions