Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Why are frum people's business websites so heimish
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

jflower

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 8:57 pm
I'd like to give a shout out to koshervitamins.com and doubleheaderusa.com. Both websites are a breeze to use, have free shipping if the order is over a certain amount, and super-fast shipping. I place my order & it's at my door a few days later. Easy shmeasy. I'm a repeat customer because I'd rather order online than look for parking, go into the store & search for what I want. It's defitinitely a timesaver.

IMHopinion

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 8:57 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
Twizzlers wrote:

Please feel free to send us your comments and suggestions, I'd love to hear it!

I think you should hire my 3 sons to model your inventory for photos on your site. I am certain that you cannot find better looking boys anywhere!

Another thing I always wonder about, why our Heimish sites don't display clothing on models? Gives so much of a nicer impression and makes the clothes look so much better and neater.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 9:01 pm
I have found very backwards websites in the secular world too, when I was looking for obscure items.

For common products, the sites that will generally come up when you google the product name (I.e. 'coffee maker' or 'blender' or 'stroller' etc.) will be Amazon, Walmart, Target, Ebay, and other well known merchants. Obviously, those merchants have stellar sites.

Although, truth be told, look at how craigslist is putting newspapers everywhere out of business -- and that site is UGLY! No tagline, no logo, no colors, no warmth, no graphics... sometimes it's profitable to be ugly!

If you're googling uncommon products such as very specific parts for hobbies, then you're bound to come across homemade sites hosted on geocities or otherwise half-baked sites for our year-2013 perspective.

September June

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 9:01 pm
IMHopinion wrote:
Twizzlers wrote:

Please feel free to send us your comments and suggestions, I'd love to hear it!

I think you should hire my 3 sons to model your inventory for photos on your site. I am certain that you cannot find better looking boys anywhere!

Another thing I always wonder about, why our Heimish sites don't display clothing on models? Gives so much of a nicer impression and makes the clothes look so much better and neater.

Tznius reasons probably.

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 9:19 pm
jflower wrote:
I'd like to give a shout out to koshervitamins.com and doubleheaderusa.com. Both websites are a breeze to use, have free shipping if the order is over a certain amount, and super-fast shipping. I place my order & it's at my door a few days later. Easy shmeasy. I'm a repeat customer because I'd rather order online than look for parking, go into the store & search for what I want. It's defitinitely a timesaver.

Yes! I buy from koshervitamins.com - the best site & service.
Ditto for doubleheader.

saw50st8

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 9:21 pm
I agree about the websites.

What I do think is funny is that I buy things off ebay or random places and it turns out its a frum business. And they do great.

Also, big businesses like B&H or AJ Madison have exccellent websites, but those are huge businesses.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 11:06 pm
http://www.Rivkasmom.com

Anyone want to do a critique?

cbsmommy

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 11:36 pm
Lots of frum businesses are still in the 1996 mentality of the Internet - that it's a nice thing, but not all that important for business.

I also see frum businesses on FB that post 5 status updates per day for 3 weeks, and then disappear for the next 5 weeks, on and off again... really unprofessional!

Recently, I had a consultation with a large frum business. They were interested in hiring me to re-vamp their website and integrate an online marketing strategy. A week later, they told me, "We decided that we don't want a large web presence because the rabbonim are against the Internet."

Then, they recently contacted me again and said, "Can you build us an app? An app is not really online the way a website is, so we're more comfortable going that route." Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

ROFL!

Unfortunately, you hit the nail on the head with regard to the fact that their is a lack of knowledge and a (stubborn) mentality. In the non-frum "velt" business owners typically have a degree in marketing, sales, advertising or management. Minimum of a BA. Typically though an MBA. As such, they've had business 101 drilled into them.

In the more frum velt, often the CEO does not have a strong education in business. He/she learned on the job. While that's not inherently bad, it places someone at a disadvantage when considering planning. For example, I've found that many times the business lacks a plan for growth or there is no customer satisfaction tracking method.

And yes, the old motto of face-to-face shopping and having the client "come back tomorrow" was ok enough for the 70's, when women frequently ran errands in between carpools and didn't work outside the home. But in the current global economy (er...recession), it is most certainly no longer applicable. People no longer have the ability to return to a store 4-5 times, or "waste" time talking on the phone while someone speaks to the people who have just walked into the store.

I'll even take this one step further to say that it's not just the websites. It has been my experience that frum stores typically have hours that change willy-nilly and you need to call ahead in order to determine if they are open, voice mails are often not returned, many places believe in wishy-washy deadlines for advertising, etc. It makes me want to Banging head

Last edited by cbsmommy on Sun, Jan 27 2013, 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 11:40 pm
Just btw, an app is actually the go to for many jewish frum businesses because you do not need to have unlimited internet browsers for it.

Dh had on his ipad all kinds of apps but no actual internet browser.

GreenEyes26

Post Sun, Jan 27 2013, 11:51 pm
Pishposhbaby!!! I LOVE them. Amazing. I had no idea they were frum until my cousin told me (she lives in Lakewood) - and that is a MAJOR compliment Smile

wereafamily

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 1:55 am
You cant compare a multi million dollar company to a heimisha company

ewa-jo

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 2:51 am
I think a big issue is MONEY... most people don't have so much money when they're just starting out and they are reluctant to spend money on hiring a web designer or programmer to do a proper job.

DH is a programmer (so, I got my website and business applications for free) and he has been approached by several Jewish organizations here in Israel who want a web presence, but had little-to-no budget for building a website or maintaining it.

If you're not an 'online' person, it might be difficult to grasp that your customers are online and that you have less than a minute to "sell" them on your business once they find your website. If something is confusing or unclear, most people don't have the patience to click around and hunt for what they're looking for.. they go elsewhere. I don't have the prettiest website ever, but the 'buy' buttons are very obvious.

(this is my website, btw...any criticisms are welcome)
http://www.pregnancytestsisrael.com/

cbsmommy

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 3:20 am
wereafamily wrote:
You cant compare a multi million dollar company to a heimisha company

You are correct; you cannot compare macy's with a frum maternity store (just an example not trying to bash anything or insinuate). BUT you can compare small businesses with other small businesses. I have worked alongside many of my non Jewish contemporaries -- I have seen many DIY websites that are functional, user friendly, and constantly updated. Sadly the same cannot always be said for the "hemishe" company. Are there exceptions? You bet! But they are the exception rather than the norm in certain industries.

With regards to the not-on line prescence there is no additional/low costs to certain customer services. It isn't right that many hemishe businesses still have not mastered learning how to quote a price, arrive on time, set store hours, or meet an advertising deadline.

voira

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 3:42 am
I find that LOTS, not all jewish websites look heimish, meaning they may be uptodate about the stock and images, but they are very backward in design.
I think this is because the designers are usually some girls who just finished one of these 6 week web design courses, and really have no clue how to properly design a website.

sarahd

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 3:55 am
ewa-jo wrote:

My filter is blocking your website because it has it categorized as "abortion". shock shock Question Question LOL

e1234

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 4:37 am
Quote:
From my experience, it's because they are unwilling to put in the money needed to build and upkeep a website. They don't realize how big internet shopping is these days and fail to see the need to put capital into it.

I create online stores and see this often

if a website will cost them it will take a long time

There are exceptions and I have some clients doing very well with their online stores but they will spend time needed to update it.

kalsee

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 4:58 am
ewa-jo wrote:

Your Hebrew site needs fixing up.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 8:45 am
sarahd wrote:
ewa-jo wrote:

My filter is blocking your website because it has it categorized as "abortion". shock shock Question Question LOL

Mine too! Maybe see if you can do something about that. . .

spinkles

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 9:38 am
Frantic Frummie--I really like that you have a well-written "About" page that tells me there's a real person behind the site, who's passionate about what she sells. Your item descriptions are really nice--again, there's that sense of a real person behind the words.

Your site looks good. If you wanted to take it to the next level, I think pictures of real people wearing your designs would add a lot. And a picture of you on your About page. A blog connected to your site would be wonderful--showing works in progress, etc. Again, just building a connection with your customers.

----

Re: the pregnancy test site.

Your site is well organized, easy to use. But if I wanted to buy home pregnancy tests, I would want more details before ordering.

I would want to know what brand of pregnancy test I'm buying. Why is there only one type? If it's because the brand you're selling is better than the others on the market, then tell me so. Explain why. And I'd like to know what type of test it is--is it those little strips that you dip into a cup of urine, or is it the wand style that you hold in your urine stream while using the toilet? How does it indicate a positive and a negative? I've bought the cheapo tests before and some of them have been great, but some haven't--so I'd want more info before buying. Pictures--I absolutely would want pictures so I know what I'm ordering.

Your site would also really benefit from a good About page, talking about you and why you started your business. Quotes from happy customers would add too. Right now it's taking a leap of faith to order from your site--I don't know who you are, I don't know what type of tests I'm getting, I don't know how reliable they are, bottom line is I don't know if you're legit or not.

Again, the basics of your site are very good. It's easy to navigate. But I think it could be made better with just a few quick changes.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 28 2013, 11:33 am
I am actually an SEO, and currently all my clients are frum. I meet frum people people from all ends of the spectrum - some have not a clue, and some are very knowledgeable about online marketing.

I think that when people think 'frum' sites, they think sites that sell frum products. In this niche you are all right, very few are well optimized because they find that most of their traffic comes from brick-and-mortar sales, not online. They may be right or wrong, but that is the general consensus. (I, personally, don't like to order online from Jewish clothing stores because many of them have bad return policies, so I want to see it in person before being stuck with 7 days to return it.)

However, as some of you pointed out, there are countless sites that are extremely professional and you don't even know that it's run by a frum Jew. It doesn't occur to you because the site does not cater to the frum market.

For example, here is one of the sites that I promote: http://www.captaincashforgold.com
Would you think that it is run by a frum Jew?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics