Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Pesach reading material
Previous  1  2

jerusalem-girl

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 1:02 pm
The teaser for Etka Gittel Schwartz's story in the Binah looks amazing.
I wish I could figure out the other serials from reading them once in six months. I guess I'll wait for the books to come out.

motherhen

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 5:09 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I'm finding Goldy Leitner's series extremely aggravating and am - news flash - one of the readers who constantly takes her to task on her articles in Letters to the Editor. she really riles me up.

I get the impression thats the point of her column each week...

the Pesach one got passed around the couch at my moms house and each sis in turn had fun laughing at it...and then we did it with the one in the mishpacha abt mommying marrieds...but I liked that one cuz she wasnt terrified to open her mouth to her married children and let them know how she felt instead of giving in to their every whim and then griping about it to the world at large...honestly, sheesh...

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 7:28 pm
Actually her most recent one I didnt even comment on because it was so incredibly stupid. This woman simply wants her kids to relate to her on HER terms. Don't come. Come with your super behaved little kids. Tell me every single shidduch that's being suggested, but also accept every single criticism and never do the shidduch they want, only that SHE wants. Call me every day, but dont ask me chit chat questions. Only ask me BIG things, like shidduchim. I mean, cmon. The woman couldnt be more critical and controlling. If this were my motehr I'd stay far, far away away from her and never share a thing with her. She really gets under my skin!!!!!!!!

Striver

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 7:37 pm
Yitta Halberstam's article on heart transplants in Ami Living was fascinating.
And Dov Haller did a superb job once again with "Raising Ushy."
I actually enjoyed the Ami Collection very much, more than the other two mags' supplements.

esty2

Post Wed, Apr 03 2013, 8:56 pm
[quote="Striver"]Yitta Halberstam's article on heart transplants in Ami Living was fascinating.
And Dov Haller did a superb job once again with "Raising Ushy."
I actually enjoyed the Ami Collection very much, more than the other two mags' supplements.[/quote I agree!

jerusalem-girl

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 12:18 pm
Did anyone read this week's Mishpacha? did they have any letters to the editor about the "Snapshot" supplement?
I found several articles there really offensive, but couldn't think of a way of writing to them respectfully.

I was very annoyed with all the talk about taking pictures of people who don't want to be photographed- without the slightest hint of an apology and even with some bragging- Look! He got a picture of Toldos Aron, right there, with a huge sign saying that you shouldn't take pictures! What a celebration! Great to violate peoples' preferences!
And there was this picture of a little boy lighting a menorah which the photographer said must be the only picture of this little boy because "they" don't have cameras. Anthropogist stereotype alert. Every Yerushalmi family I know owns a camera, and many of the teenage girls have cameras too. And they take professional pictures at chalakes and bar mitzvas and weddings.
And the interview with the photographer of the bochur and the tractor was beyond disgusting. He respects the people for only throwing little stones (which is great- it could be big ones)and doesn't feel he has to do teshuva because his pictures are his teshuva! His friends respect him the way he is and don't pressure him to become frum. Well, of course they don't. Who's gonna sell their pictures to the world if he becomes frum?

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 12:41 pm
jerusalem-girl wrote:
Did anyone read this week's Mishpacha? did they have any letters to the editor about the "Snapshot" supplement?
I found several articles there really offensive, but couldn't think of a way of writing to them respectfully.

I was very annoyed with all the talk about taking pictures of people who don't want to be photographed- without the slightest hint of an apology and even with some bragging- Look! He got a picture of Toldos Aron, right there, with a huge sign saying that you shouldn't take pictures! What a celebration! Great to violate peoples' preferences!

And there was this picture of a little boy lighting a menorah which the photographer said must be the only picture of this little boy because "they" don't have cameras. Anthropogist stereotype alert. Every Yerushalmi family I know owns a camera, and many of the teenage girls have cameras too. And they take professional pictures at chalakes and bar mitzvas and weddings.
And the interview with the photographer of the bochur and the tractor was beyond disgusting. He respects the people for only throwing little stones (which is great- it could be big ones)and doesn't feel he has to do teshuva because his pictures are his teshuva! His friends respect him the way he is and don't pressure him to become frum. Well, of course they don't. Who's gonna sell their pictures to the world if he becomes frum?

I found this very offensive.
I absolutely agree with you.

jerusalem-girl

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 3:08 pm
motherhen wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
I'm finding Goldy Leitner's series extremely aggravating and am - news flash - one of the readers who constantly takes her to task on her articles in Letters to the Editor. she really riles me up.

I get the impression thats the point of her column each week...

the Pesach one got passed around the couch at my moms house and each sis in turn had fun laughing at it...and then we did it with the one in the mishpacha abt mommying marrieds...but I liked that one cuz she wasnt terrified to open her mouth to her married children and let them know how she felt instead of giving in to their every whim and then griping about it to the world at large...honestly, sheesh...

What's the name of the series- I couldn't find any author named Goldy Leitner?

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 3:16 pm
It's by viewpoints-I think moms of marrieds-s/t like that.
I don't usually get the Binah, but I read it over Yom Tov and thought it was weird.
Like why are you broadcasting how your kids get you nervous....?

motherhen

Post Thu, Apr 04 2013, 8:45 pm
one can only hope shes using a rly obscure pseudonym and any other identifying details...

I wish id had more time over yt to read some more of the mags and their supplements cuz some of these comments are making me drool...when had spare time I was too immersed in Thicker Than Water
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room