Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Need a Hamentashen Recipe?(Can anyone reccomend)?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Are you baking or buying your Hamentashen this Purim?
Baking  
 60%  [ 26 ]
Buying  
 23%  [ 10 ]
Not sure yet  
 16%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 43

Mishie

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 2:27 pm
I REALLY wanted to!!!
Even went out and bought a jar of date filling for them.
But, my day got really busy and hectic....
So, maybe next year....

sarahd

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 3:39 pm
I made today with my 2.5 year old son. All my hamentaschen opened up and all his came out beautiful. I think I'm going to retire and leave the hamentasch baking to him next year. LOL

withhumor

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 3:48 pm
The bakery makes such good ones…

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 3:49 pm
I used the Kosher by Design recipe and was totally disappointed...they came out dense and just mediocre. Confused Surprised

Flowerchild

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 3:50 pm
<---- no bake, buy only

Nicole

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 3:52 pm
I used the Kosher by Design recipe and it took about 3 trays, but eventually I got it right. I found the key to be putting a ridiculously small amount of jam in each one, in the oven the jam spread out and they look beautiful! If I put too much jam in, those opened up all over the place.
To be perfectly honest, I'm quite pleased with how they look! Very Happy
LOL

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 3:56 pm
I thought it would have that crumbly, bakery hamantashen texture...
Anyone know their secret?

lamplighter

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 5:08 pm
shortening.
in my opinion resimans hamnetash are the only ones worth eating!
I eat them all year round!

cindy324

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 11:24 pm
I tried the KBD recipe last year also. Was not impressed either Sad

happyone

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 11:28 pm
Yes. I too, will stick to the bakery.

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 3:03 am
sarahd wrote:
I made today with my 2.5 year old son. All my hamentaschen opened up and all his came out beautiful. I think I'm going to retire and leave the hamentasch baking to him next year. LOL
sarahd, this is the first year I did that, it's a great idea. My nine yr. old son made the dough, and my 12 yr. old dd did the cookie cutting and shaping. She told me I shouldn't shape it, because hers look nicer but she did graciously allow me to drop the filling onto the circles! Very Happy

sarahd

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 3:07 am
Yeah, well, it's one thing if your 12-year old can make better hamentaschen than you...but your 2-year old?!

Ima'la

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 6:39 am
DefyGravity wrote:
I prefer to use the basic cookie dough recipe from Spice and Spirit instead of using most hamentashen recipes.

Had to come back to write that I used that recipe this year instead of my regular one - YUMMMMM!!!! Even my husband, who usually does not much care for hamentashen b/c they're too bland, agreed that these are delicious. Thanks Defy! I couldn't remember who wrote that idea, but once I managed to find this thread again and saw it was you, I thought, "It figures it was the same one of schnitzel-pastrami-mashed potatoes-thing (forgot what it's called) fame!!"

I used 7/8 c. oil instead of margarine, for those who were looking for non-marg. recipes!

shopaholic

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 11:07 am
Jew Gal - I made your recipe. They came out so well & for the first time ever, none of my hamantashen opened up, pouring jam all over! I also liked the fact that you don't need to roll out the dough. I got about 3.5 dozen.

cindy324

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 11:21 am
Jewgal, I just finished your hamantaschen recipe! They are really yummy!!! The dough is delicious (raw and baked embarrassed ) Only one or two opened up. Although the dough was a bit hard to handle at first, but then I realized if I make them a bit thicker, they'll be easier to pinch together without the dough tearing. I made mine bigger in size so I only got about 26 pieces.

Thanks!

Yitta

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 11:37 am
I'm almost embarrassed to ask. I really want to make this recipe, but I need to know, if I don't have sticks of margarine, how much is it in cups?

Thanks!! embarrassed

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 12:00 pm
Both the Spice and spirit and the Heimishe cookbook have pages devoted to equivalents in the back. With the margarine, it never fails that I have to look it up, time and time again embarrassed Here's the equivalents:

Margarine: 1 stick = 1/4 lb = 1/2 cup or 8 Tbsps.

substitution: 1 stick = 1/2 cup shortening

Yitta

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 12:12 pm
Thanks so much TzenaRena for that quick conversion. I'm looking forward to trying this recipe Jewgal!!! Very Happy

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 4:08 pm
You're welcome!

Jewgal, your recipe was awesome! I refrigerated the dough, and it takeh didn't open up. And of course it was delicious! ( So they tell me, I didn't have a chance to taste it Tongue Out ) Iyh this will archived into my YomTov folder. (Don't I sound organized Wink )

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 11:53 am
Okay people...
You all inspired me to attempt to bake my own hamentashen this year. The bakery ones are so insanely overpriced and when we pack/receive hamentashen in shach manos they are ALWAYS broken and crumbling--NOT that it stop ME from eating them... hehehe!!!
Freilichin Purim eVERYONE!! :-)
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus