Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Why do kids have to get new shoes for summer?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

watergirl

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 1:04 pm
I don't buy the kids new summer shoes. For school they wear sneakers and that's what they wear during the summer as well. I totally don't get the fad with those venetinnis. My kids would much rather wear shoes made for running around in, they are more comfortable. They wear their sneakers to camp and I don't mind of they get trashed by the time camp is over, which WILL happen.

freidasima

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 1:10 pm
I am plotzing at these prices.
Anyone ever hear of $10 shoes for kids? They outgrow them so fast anyhow. Who ever spent money on shoes until kids were in their teens? And even then sneakers? Only the cheepies, if they were into athletics that's a different story. But stam sneakers for running around the neighborhood?
Vey is mir. People cry poverty and then spend $100 on a pair of shoes??

And there I was as a 45 year old feeling absurd that I was willing to spent 35 pounds sterling (think 50$) on a fancy pair of "court shoes" once in a lifetime in marks and spencers...

saw50st8

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 1:16 pm
FS, the cheap shoes in the US are often garbage. I spend about $35-40 on my kids shoes. I want them to get proper support.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 1:28 pm
I'm confused about shoes in general. Do kids (toddler and preschool age) need at least one pair of leather shoes from a company like stride rite or pediped or can they just wear any kind of shoe from Payless or target?

enneamom

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 1:30 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I'm confused about shoes in general. Do kids (toddler and preschool age) need at least one pair of leather shoes from a company like stride rite or pediped or can they just wear any kind of shoe from Payless or target?

Oh please! Buy them Payless. Do yourself a favor. They grow out of them so quickly anyway. I'm always hearing stories about this expensive shoe and that expensive shoe that broke right away.

My pediatrician even claims that you can buy them Payless shoes straight from their first pair and on.

yksraya

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 1:33 pm
EmesOrNT wrote:
Why would anyone buy venetinnis for an everyday shoe anyway? Even the people at the shoe store tell you that they won't hold up. They are cheap;y made in China. Maybe as a shabbos shoe, if you have spare change, but otherwise? I stick to Geox sneakers for my boys.

I have to disagree with you on this. My dd had venettini shoes twice and only once did only the bow on top get loose but the shoes remained in good condition till she outgrew them. My son is the type to tear shoes quickly and he had a shabbos shoe from vennettini that he also outgrew without tearing them. Yes geox is great too I buy it sometimes as well.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 1:39 pm
enneamom wrote:
gp2.0 wrote:

Oh please! Buy them Payless. Do yourself a favor. They grow out of them so quickly anyway. I'm always hearing stories about this expensive shoe and that expensive shoe that broke right away.

My pediatrician even claims that you can buy them Payless shoes straight from their first pair and on.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I'll ask my ped. So your kids haven't had any foot or posture problems due to cheaper shoes?

zigi

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 1:43 pm
stride right holds up well. they are not that expensive. payless isn't always so cheap anymore. you can get good shoes on sale at macys.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 1:45 pm
My little kids wear their shoes for about 5-6 months each. Their feet grow in spurts.

Barbara

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 1:55 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
enneamom wrote:
gp2.0 wrote:

Thanks, that's a good idea. I'll ask my ped. So your kids haven't had any foot or posture problems due to cheaper shoes?

When DS was little, a podiatrist acquaintance told me that he buys all his kids' shoes at Payless, and that they were excellent. DS, however, was hard to fit, so we stuck to Stride Rite.

Barbara

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 1:58 pm
freidasima wrote:
I am plotzing at these prices.
Anyone ever hear of $10 shoes for kids? They outgrow them so fast anyhow. Who ever spent money on shoes until kids were in their teens? And even then sneakers? Only the cheepies, if they were into athletics that's a different story. But stam sneakers for running around the neighborhood?
Vey is mir. People cry poverty and then spend $100 on a pair of shoes??

And there I was as a 45 year old feeling absurd that I was willing to spent 35 pounds sterling (think 50$) on a fancy pair of "court shoes" once in a lifetime in marks and spencers...

[Hiding under staircase lest FS find out what I pay for DS' team uniforms on an annual basis.]

But we always spent a good sum on everyday sneakers (all of the boys at the elementary school wear sneakers every day; I think most of the girls do as well), but less on Shabbat shoes, which are not worn as much.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 2:05 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
My little kids wear their shoes for about 5-6 months each. Their feet grow in spurts.

Mine too. They wake up one morning and we can't get the shoes on anymore! I usually make sure to have the next size in stock by 5 months after they've gotten the last pair since I don't like to be caught unawares!

enneamom

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 2:47 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
enneamom wrote:
gp2.0 wrote:

TBH, we've had the first pairs sponsored at a semi-expensive store by Bubby, so far. But after that it's mostly Payless-type shoes.

I haven't noticed any foot or posture problems so far, bli ayin hara.

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 3:15 pm
But we always spent a good sum on everyday sneakers (all of the boys at the elementary school wear sneakers every day; I think most of the girls do as well), but less on Shabbat shoes, which are not worn as much.[/quote]

This is what my mother always did and it makes a lot of sense. Everyday shoes need to be comfortable all the time, and supportive. Shabbos shoes don't need to be, as they are only worn once a week.

funkygirl

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 4:06 pm
I'm still trying to figure out how friend of mine, that have large family's (7-9 kids) can afford to buy their kids venettini shoes ($79 each) twice a year! First pair for school, and the second one after Pesach. Even though their kids didn't grow out of them. And to top it all they wear them for school (the second pair) just for 3 month, then comes the summer and they wear crocs or toms. I think this is really gotten out of proportion! Don't u think?

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 4:32 pm
gp2.0 wrote:

Dr. Susan Shulman says that Payless shoes are perfectly fine for little kids.

Raisin

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 4:38 pm
I don't think it is the cheap shoes that are the problem, its not getting them fitted properly. So you may end up getting the wrong size.

Simple1

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 4:40 pm
A lot of the frum shoe stores have clearance sections where you can get shoes at reduced prices. It's harder because you can't always get what you want in the right size, but if you try a few stores, you can find something good.

But I know what OP is talking about, and one of the amothers described it well! I also don't like the pressure that it has to be a certain style, because it's easier to find other styles at lower prices.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 5:22 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
gp2.0 wrote:

Dr. Susan Shulman says that Payless shoes are perfectly fine for little kids.

So does Dr. Shanik. He was furious when I told him I spent $69 on my son's first pair of shoes. embarrassed

gp2.0

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 5:32 pm
So the expensive shoe thing is just a myth? Thanks, good to know! Now I can get DD sandals, sneakers, boots, crocs and shabbos shoes for the price of one stride rite shoe. I suddenly feel richer. Smile
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics