Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Why do kids have to get new shoes for summer?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Barbara

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 5:35 pm
Raisin wrote:
I don't think it is the cheap shoes that are the problem, its not getting them fitted properly. So you may end up getting the wrong size.

Some cheaper stores do measure.

Gosh, but I miss the store we used to go to when DS was little. Once, for sandals, the owner told us that none of the sandals he carried fit DS properly, and wouldn't' sell them to us. He gave us the address of another store. Another time, a woman wanted to buy 4 or 5 pairs of shoes for a toddler, and he told her that it wasn't necessary, because she should have the child refitted ever 3 months or so at that age, and he'd rather make less on one sale and have the child wear well-fitted shoes, than make a lot of money one time.

imaamy

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 5:38 pm
zigi wrote:
stride right holds up well. they are not that expensive. payless isn't always so cheap anymore. you can get good shoes on sale at macys.

Payless isn't that cheap when they aren't having a buy one get one half off. Also you get a few dollars off your next purchase if you take their survey. Our Macy's doesn't sell kids' shoes. Here it is either Walmart, Target, Payless or the specialty stores. Our son threw his shoe at Sea World and we were unable to find it, no one turned it in. I'd be very upset if it had been expensive!

MimiMommy

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 5:39 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
So the expensive shoe thing is just a myth? Thanks, good to know! Now I can get DD sandals, sneakers, boots, crocs and shabbos shoes for the price of one stride rite shoe. I suddenly feel richer. Smile

I get my kids stride rite shoes for their first few pairs and never spent more than $35 each - usually I find them on sale at shoebuy.com or the like. I have compared them to Payless and find the Payless shoes to be utter junk - I use those for shabbos, but even then at $15-20 a pair I'm not saving THAT much. I heard a flexible sole is most important. My kids also have wide feet so that may play a role in why I'm so much happier with stride rite.

Boys3mom

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 9:22 pm
I feel very bad for the kids I see in cheap shoes. How comfortable can a 15$ shoe be? They run around in it all day, it needs to be comfortable. And im curious if any of their mothers buy such cheap shoes for themselves as well, or they prefer to spend a little more so that they are comfortable?!?!

Maya

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 9:26 pm
Boys3mom wrote:
I feel very bad for the kids I see in cheap shoes. How comfortable can a 15$ shoe be? They run around in it all day, it needs to be comfortable. And im curious if any of their mothers buy such cheap shoes for themselves as well, or they prefer to spend a little more so that they are comfortable?!?!

Is it an automatic rule that inexpensive shoes are uncomfortable? Have you tried all shoes before reaching this conclusion?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 9:43 pm
I have found great prices at Amazon on Jumping Jacks (among other brands)...I got my daughter a pair for 16.20 that barely look used 6 months later. You can pay little and still not sacrifice comfort or quality or flexibility. My boys Jumping Jack sneakers were $25 each pair, and they've been wearing them since school started. I ordered Stride Rite sneakers for them for next year or when their feet grow when their online store had an amazing sale.

My daughter who is currently wearing a Target pair for several months now does not complain at all about comfort. I think I spent $12.48 on that.

I don't buy into the "you must buy $70 shoes, and if they're only $50, what a metzia!" philosophy -- those shoes don't seem to last the kids wearing them any longer than the shoes my kids wear.

I did just have a $20 flop with my middle daughter's shoes, but I think a bit of shoe goo will fix it (the seam opened where there is a little cushioning by the ankle, but the shoe itself works fine).

amother

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 9:53 pm
I shop at 6pm.com or flash sale websites for good quality leather shoes for everyday. Because they use it everyday and some of my kids do not wear their shoes well. I spend on average about $40 a pair.
Shabbos Shoes I don't spend on, they wear it once a week.

Simple1

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 10:00 pm
When it comes to cheap shoes, some are good and some are bad. You sometimes can tell by looking at them how well they are made. Some Target shoes I bought lasted only a few days. I think the same goes for full priced shoes - some are good, some are bad.

I don't know how anyone manages to buy online. I have a hard enough time determining a good fit by trying it on. The frum stores usually help me see if it's a good fit even with the clearance shoes.

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 10:46 pm
Boys3mom wrote:

My daughter loves her $12.99 Payless Shabbos shoes from last year and found them very comfortable.
I spent around $40 this time (Naturino-last year's style) around because I wasn't able to find anything cheaper, and she complains that they hurt her feet so they're at the shoemaker now, to see if he can do something.

I spend different amounts on my shoes, sometimes $100 on a rare occassion(and sometimes $12.99 from Target), but my shoes last. I have a few pairs of shoes that I have been wearing for 6 years so far.
I actually find my Target shoes a lot more comfortable than my $98 Antonio Melani shoes. O well, lesson learned.
I would never spend that type of money on a kid's shoe, when it only lasts for a few months, either because it's "Heimishe garbage" and wears out, or they're constantly changing sizes.

Aetrsnrady

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 10:53 pm
funkygirl wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out how friend of mine, that have large family's (7-9 kids) can afford to buy their kids venettini shoes ($79 each) twice a year! First pair for school, and the second one after Pesach. Even though their kids didn't grow out of them. And to top it all they wear them for school (the second pair) just for 3 month, then comes the summer and they wear crocs or toms. I think this is really gotten out of proportion! Don't u think?

Maybe grandparents are buying or they are running up a credit card

Aetrsnrady

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 10:59 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
So the expensive shoe thing is just a myth? Thanks, good to know! Now I can get DD sandals, sneakers, boots, crocs and shabbos shoes for the price of one stride rite shoe. I suddenly feel richer. Smile

For most children, yes, but some are hard to fit; wide, narrow, pronated.... and the cheaper shoes don't always work. 2 of my DDs are pronated- I'll buy whatever fits! Another dd can fit into anything.

sneakermom

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 11:06 pm
I personally am not comfortable in payless or target shoes. I need well made leather shoes preferably with an arch. The payless shoes are very thin and you feel like you are walking on the ground. I still buy them for shabbos however because it's not an everyday thing.

Barbara

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 11:13 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
Boys3mom wrote:

My daughter loves her $12.99 Payless Shabbos shoes from last year and found them very comfortable.
I spent around $40 this time (Naturino-last year's style) around because I wasn't able to find anything cheaper, and she complains that they hurt her feet so they're at the shoemaker now, to see if he can do something.

I spend different amounts on my shoes, sometimes $100 on a rare occassion(and sometimes $12.99 from Target), but my shoes last. I have a few pairs of shoes that I have been wearing for 6 years so far.
I actually find my Target shoes a lot more comfortable than my $98 Antonio Melani shoes. O well, lesson learned.
I would never spend that type of money on a kid's shoe, when it only lasts for a few months, either because it's "Heimishe garbage" and wears out, or they're constantly changing sizes.

DS has always been very fussy about shoes, and I've never found a correlation between price and comfort for him.

Now me, I've been known to buy Stuart Weitzman and Taryn Rose shoes that can run a few hundred dollars (before discounts). But my most beloved pair of shoes are ones I picked up at Walmart while visiting my father, when the shoes I was wearing gave me bleeding blisters. The cost $8, and I've been wearing them fairly regularly for more than 5 years. I've spent multiple times the original cost on heels and insoles.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 11:18 pm
For those who want to know how to buy online -- buy from stores with free shipping and free return shipping. It's like bringing the shoe store to you.

When I ordered my boys' sneakers, the pair for my younger one was too small, so I simply sent it back and bought a bigger size. I generally stick to the same brands as I know they work with my kids (e.g. Stride Rite they had last year and will have next year).

For my baby, I ordered 3 or 4 pairs of shoes, multiple brands and widths (I knew her general size based on her pre-walkers). I returned what didn't work for us.

goodmorning

Post Tue, Apr 09 2013, 11:31 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
For those who want to know how to buy online -- buy from stores with free shipping and free return shipping. It's like bringing the shoe store to you.

When I ordered my boys' sneakers, the pair for my younger one was too small, so I simply sent it back and bought a bigger size. I generally stick to the same brands as I know they work with my kids (e.g. Stride Rite they had last year and will have next year).

For my baby, I ordered 3 or 4 pairs of shoes, multiple brands and widths (I knew her general size based on her pre-walkers). I returned what didn't work for us.

I've tried that, but I'm terrible at figuring out if shoes fit. Can you provide your fitting tips?

Aetrsnrady

Post Wed, Apr 10 2013, 12:17 am
I don't usually buy shoes online for the baby, but once they are old enough to really describe how the shoes feel, online is my favorite way to shop. I'll buy a few sizes styles and send the rest back

As for the main topic here- OP, I wonder if our kids go to the same school! Wink the peer pressure (junior high age DDs) is out of hand. It's times like this I wish I moved out of NY years ago

gp2.0

Post Wed, Apr 10 2013, 6:56 am
So...it seems that, as usual, imamother can't agree. Smile

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Apr 10 2013, 7:53 am
gp2.0 wrote:
So...it seems that, as usual, imamother can't agree. Smile

Obviously.
We made the thread reach 4 pages so far.
If we ever agreed on something, there would be barely any posts on here.
Very Happy

saw50st8

Post Wed, Apr 10 2013, 8:20 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

I go in store for regular shoes just because my kids are hard to fit and I want a professional opinion. We don't do anything that lights up or is expensive, unless its the only thing that fits. Mostly stride rite.

I'm trying to get my 5 year old shabbos shoes and its proving impossible. We ordered online and went to the store. They just aren't comfortable on him. So right now he wears his slacks, shirt and tie with Captain America shoes LOL.

zigi

Post Wed, Apr 10 2013, 8:54 am
Boys3mom wrote:

it depends on the shoe. I got very cute 7$ ones. they look comparable to more expensive shoes. ds would rather wear them than pediped.

I buy the same kind of quality for myself. if its a cheap shoe I try it on if its stiff or too thin I don't buy it. I do try to get shoes on sale like I get for my kids. dd likes her payless school shoes the same as her striderite.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics