Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Why do kids have to get new shoes for summer?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 10 2013, 9:34 am
Fitting:

I start by seeing if we can easily get the foot in. If it's a struggle, too small.

Once the foot is in, I have the kid stand up and I try to press down on the toe area to make sure there is a 1/4" of space for growth, but some shoes are too difficult to do that. Nevertheless, if they're near the end of the shoe, they usually complain that it doesn't feel good -- I've never had a pair outgrown too quickly.

I then have them walk, run, and jump (if they're up to that stage) so I can see if the shoe is slipping off the foot -- if so, it's too large.

I then ask the kid if it feels good, if they like it, if we should keep it.

nylon

Post Wed, Apr 10 2013, 9:55 am
I have hard to fit feet (wide, high instep). The cheapest brand that fits me is Clarks, and the best is really Munro (they taper at the heel) but they're $200 a pair. A lot of cheap brands do not make wides--and for that matter, a lot of designers don't, either! (Stuart Weitzman is one of the few high end brands that sell them.) So I just don't own a ton of shoes.

I don't spend tons of money on Shabbat/YT shoes either. I buy good sneakers as they get a ton of use, and good closed-toe sandals for summer (required at my dd's camp). I buy the cheapest rip-off crocs for pool shoes.

I dont' buy specifically for summer except for sandals. Sneakers I buy when they are outgrown, still twice a year here.

Barbara

Post Wed, Apr 10 2013, 10:03 am
nylon wrote:
I have hard to fit feet (wide, high instep). The cheapest brand that fits me is Clarks, and the best is really Munro (they taper at the heel) but they're $200 a pair. A lot of cheap brands do not make wides--and for that matter, a lot of designers don't, either! (Stuart Weitzman is one of the few high end brands that sell them.) So I just don't own a ton of shoes.

I don't spend tons of money on Shabbat/YT shoes either. I buy good sneakers as they get a ton of use, and good closed-toe sandals for summer (required at my dd's camp). I buy the cheapest rip-off crocs for pool shoes.

I dont' buy specifically for summer except for sandals. Sneakers I buy when they are outgrown, still twice a year here.

I don' t know if this helps you, but Sierra Trading Post almost always has Munro American shoes at 50% off.

nylon

Post Wed, Apr 10 2013, 10:28 am
That may be a huge help actually! Thank you, I usually buy from Zappos or Nordstrom.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 10:57 pm
Maya wrote:
Boys3mom wrote:
I feel very bad for the kids I see in cheap shoes. How comfortable can a 15$ shoe be? They run around in it all day, it needs to be comfortable. And im curious if any of their mothers buy such cheap shoes for themselves as well, or they prefer to spend a little more so that they are comfortable?!?!

Is it an automatic rule that inexpensive shoes are uncomfortable? Have you tried all shoes before reaching this conclusion?

I wear $5, $7, $9 shoes. The cheaper the better.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics