Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
I am a kosher caterer. Ask me anything!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 8:42 pm
amother wrote:
Someone posted about knowing how much food.
People learn in culinary school (or prob online too) an average of how much people ear, take chicken for example. If people eat 4 oz of chicken and your serving 200 ppl you don't have to estimate, just do the math. Caterers do this for all the food they serve.

I know bec I'm married to one

It depends on what the menu looks like. A straightforward menu can work that way but a more complicated one requires educated guesswork .

amother

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 12:30 am
Since you're knowledgeable about kashrus under hashgacha, perhaps you can answer these questions. How would you rate the kashrus of a caterer who has non-Jews doing the cooking at night, with no Jews around except for a yotze venichnas mashgiach who unsurprisingly seldom comes around in the dead of night? How about if the non-Jews are doing the cooking during the day, but the frum caterer is almost never around and again, the mashgiach is yotze venichnas. How about if the owner is there during the cooking process but not during the actual event, so the plating and serving is being done by non-Jews and there is no mashgiach at all, not even yotze venichnas?

My personal opinion is that the food is almost certainly bishul akum and very possibly treif too, but I am a layman. What do you think?

newmom770

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 1:21 am
How do I make my homemade challah not so crumbly? When its warm out of oven its fine but by shabbos day it makes such a mess.

(Edit for spelling)

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 8:07 am
newmom770 wrote:
How do I make my homemade challah not so crumbly? When its warm out of oven its fine but by shabbos day it makes such a mess.

(Edit for spelling)

Your dough needs to be so wet that it is handle able but not dry. Also using soy milk as a liquid really helps. Refreshing your challah with heat the next day also helps but not if the dough was too dry in the first place.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 8:15 am
amother wrote:
Since you're knowledgeable about kashrus under hashgacha, perhaps you can answer these questions. How would you rate the kashrus of a caterer who has non-Jews doing the cooking at night, with no Jews around except for a yotze venichnas mashgiach who unsurprisingly seldom comes around in the dead of night? How about if the non-Jews are doing the cooking during the day, but the frum caterer is almost never around and again, the mashgiach is yotze venichnas. How about if the owner is there during the cooking process but not during the actual event, so the plating and serving is being done by non-Jews and there is no mashgiach at all, not even yotze venichnas?

My personal opinion is that the food is almost certainly bishul akum and very possibly treif too, but I am a layman. What do you think?

I know enough about hashgacha to know that this is a question for the certifying agency since I don't know any of the set up, personalities or arrangements.

With regard to bishel akum there are those who hold that the mashgiach lighting the sto've is enough. I interviewed for a mashgiach position in a fish plant once where the only job I would have if I had to go in Motzei shabbat was turning on the ovens since no deliveries or checking would need to be done at that time and that was with one of the most Machmer agencies out there.

I also know that many restaurants don't have temidus and that the Frum owners are not always on site or in the kitchen. I did not need a temidus but on the other hand I was always there when my non jewish staff were working so on a personal level, I have no experience with that.

I do know that if the non jewish staff are afraid of losing their jobs if they screw up, then that does count as some sort of bond of trust in some circumstances. Again, if you have concerns, speak to the person whose name is on the hashgacha. Either the rav hamachsir or the agency.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 8:27 am
Dini20 wrote:
I actually sell desserts and I'm looking for some of the cool trays and stuff that party planners use. Do you know any websites that sell those?

I don't buy my trays online. Locally there are some wholesaler s and suppliers I use. Also, party stores tend to have things like that as well.

CatLady

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 8:30 am
Are you considering going on Chopped Canada?????

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 8:31 am
CatLady wrote:
Are you considering going on Chopped Canada?????

I have no idea what that is....

amother

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 10:45 am
chanamiriam wrote:
amother wrote:

I know enough about hashgacha to know that this is a question for the certifying agency since I don't know any of the set up, personalities or arrangements.

With regard to bishel akum there are those who hold that the mashgiach lighting the sto've is enough. I interviewed for a mashgiach position in a fish plant once where the only job I would have if I had to go in Motzei shabbat was turning on the ovens since no deliveries or checking would need to be done at that time and that was with one of the most Machmer agencies out there.

I also know that many restaurants don't have temidus and that the Frum owners are not always on site or in the kitchen. I did not need a temidus but on the other hand I was always there when my non jewish staff were working so on a personal level, I have no experience with that.

I do know that if the non jewish staff are afraid of losing their jobs if they screw up, then that does count as some sort of bond of trust in some circumstances. Again, if you have concerns, speak to the person whose name is on the hashgacha. Either the rav hamachsir or the agency.

Yeah, well, that's the problem. The rav hamachshir approved this setup and no one is allowed to question him or else they risk being thrown out of the community. All other rabbonim in town refuse to comment. I was just wondering how common such a setup is.

CatLady

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 10:57 am
Quote:

It's the Canadian version of "Chopped", which I adore. They're not casting now, but I'll keep checking the page for the Food Network and let you know when this opens up again.

Dini20

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 5:49 pm
Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 7:30 pm
amother wrote:
chanamiriam wrote:
amother wrote:

Yeah, well, that's the problem. The rav hamachshir approved this setup and no one is allowed to question him or else they risk being thrown out of the community. All other rabbonim in town refuse to comment. I was just wondering how common such a setup is.

What about asking the Ou web rebbe?

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 7:32 pm
CatLady wrote:
Quote:

It's the Canadian version of "Chopped", which I adore. They're not casting now, but I'll keep checking the page for the Food Network and let you know when this opens up again.

I don't have cable!

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 7:33 pm
Dini20 wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to answer!

You're welcome! Packaging can be the hardestt thing about selling a product!

shanie5

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 7:31 pm
chanamiriam wrote:
Dini20 wrote:
I actually sell desserts and I'm looking for some of the cool trays and stuff that party planners use. Do you know any websites that sell those?

I don't buy my trays online. Locally there are some wholesaler s and suppliers I use. Also, party stores tend to have things like that as well.

if you google "catering supplies" or "party supplies" you should get lots of hits. Thats how I got a lot of supplies when I needed them.

Chanamiriam our stories are eerily similar-from becoming a caterer without previous training to how much work you can get (or not get) in a small town!

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 7:51 pm
That's so cool! Where are you?

mirror

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 7:55 pm
Do you make your own cakes and pastries? I once tried buying minuatures in a bakery in Boro Park and they were selling $1 each for these small nothings.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 8:02 pm
It debpends on what the event is and how specialized. I buy classic petit fours from a bakery but most if the time I do my own baking...

shanie5

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 8:32 pm
chanamiriam wrote:
That's so cool! Where are you?

Scranton Pennsylvania

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 8:42 pm
I would love to hear your story! I will tell mine if you tell yours!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen