Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Milchig or fleishig?
Previous  1  2

What do you serve for Shavuot?
only fleishig seudot  
 16%  [ 16 ]
only milchig seudot  
 25%  [ 25 ]
we have both milchig and fleishig seudot  
 57%  [ 56 ]
Total Votes : 97

spring13

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 3:46 pm
We alternate. My husband does prefer meat but to show me and the children that I'm chashuv to him, he lets me enjoy making some delicious pasta and dairy desserts FOR ONE FRIGGING HOLIDAY OUT OF THE ENTIRE YEAR'S WORTH OF YOM TOV AND SHABBOS.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 4:17 pm
Dairy for the day meals (usually with fish) and meat for the evening meals.

myself

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 4:25 pm
animeme wrote:
We do all fleishig because that's what my husband holds.

So I set the table and then put a plastic over it. We make kiddush, do hamotzi, eat cheesecake and blintz casserole with roll number one, then clear the tablecloth and wash out our mouths and then eat our fleish meal with the other challah roll. Sometimes we do the milchig part at the kitchen table.

Weird, but it's how our rav said to do it.

This is so interesting. I always thought it was assur to eat milky and meaty in one meal. I guess we always here of new shitos!

Barbara

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 4:31 pm
We do all dairy. I'd never heard of eating any meat on Shavuot until I came here. Lasagna. Eggplant rolatini. Quiches. Blintz casserole. Macaroni and cheese. Salmon. Cheesecake. Ice cream. Trust me, no one feels deprived.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 7:44 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Marion wrote:
Milchig. Everyone here except DH prefers it and it's a whole two meals anyway.

Sometimes it's nice to put our husbands first, to show them and the children that they are chashuv to us. Just sayin'.

In Chez Bissli, my DH is shown enough kavod that he is served what his wife cooked. Since I'm the chef, I choose what I serve. DH is more than welcome to cook the types of food he wants to enjoy.

Not criticising or value judgement here, just different perspectives.

sped

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 8:02 pm
My DH grew up with pnly besari, but when we married I told him that without milchigs it just isn't Shavuos. We do milchig nught because it makes him less tired + he can have coffee with milk all night.

saw50st8

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 8:40 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Marion wrote:

Sometimes it's nice to put our husbands first, to show them and the children that they are chashuv to us. Just sayin'.

My husband does a lot of the cooking. Does that mean he should honor me?

etky

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 12:07 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Marion wrote:

In Chez Bissli, my DH is shown enough kavod that he is served what his wife cooked. Since I'm the chef, I choose what I serve. DH is more than welcome to cook the types of food he wants to enjoy.

Not criticising or value judgement here, just different perspectives.

I like your approach Mrs. Bissli. I'm sure Chez Bissli has many satisfied customers.

ROFL

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 1:31 am
Can we have the recipe for the killer cheesecake.

shabbatiscoming wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Marion wrote:

Shalhevet, just because her DH does not prefer it does not mean he does not like it.
Ill give you a different perspective: Every week, almost all week, I make things that I know my husband will like to eat for supper, no matter if I love them or not. Shavuot, I love as I looove dairy. My husband is not crazy about dairy, but will be fine. So just because marion wrote that everyone but her husband prefers it does not mean that she is not thinking about him.

We only do dairy and have a killer cheese cake (my mother in law's recipe, it is gone half way through the chag - which is only one day here)

moonstone

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 6:28 am
shalhevet wrote:
Marion wrote:

I think this was uncalled for. How do you know she doesn't do lots of other things to show DH he's important to her? How do you know that although he prefers meat, it really doesn't bother him to eat chalavi for 2 meals, and that it makes HIM feel good to see his wife and kids enjoying it? Just so you know, it's OK for our husbands to put us first sometimes, too.

Marion

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 10:15 am
Allow me to clarify:

My DH certainly doesn't mind the ice cream and cheesecake he gets at the end of a milky meal. He doesn't mind the fish, bourekas, or pasta. He could happily skip the quiche (and I rarely make one). To balance that, my kids rarely eat Shabbat (fleishig) lunch and are often hungry between meals. On Shavuot they eat with us, often MORE than us, and can keep on going until the next meal without even a snack. If DH is desperate he can have fleishigs after we've all left the table, but it's in everyone's best interests to have the kids well fed and happy. We eat fleishigs almost all the rest of the yamim tovim and Shabbatot (the exception is a 3-day YT where we'll have a couple of milky meals just to break things up); this is win-win for everyone.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics