Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Women who work- Do you work on Fridays?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you work on Fridays?
Yes, until close to candle lighting  
 30%  [ 36 ]
Yes, but only half a day  
 44%  [ 52 ]
No  
 25%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 118

saw50st8

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 1:52 pm
Everyone I know works full time on Friday (if they have a full time job).

I start early (7 am usually) and in the winter I start a little earlier or work a little later so I can leave at 2:30 instead of 3:45.

amother

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 1:59 pm
Yes I do. I actually work in a Jewish school, but not a Yeshiva. They have early Fridays in the winter, but the rest of the year is regular dismissal. I actually just negotiated to get early Fridays next year for the entire year.

My husband works in NYC and he works longer days and leaves about 2-3hrs prior to Shabbat usually. Luckily, his company has always been amazing about it.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 5:10 pm
I always worked full time and yes I work on Fridays. I have enough time to make a simple Shabbos and in trade for a paycheck, we make it work.

chocolate chips

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 6:51 pm
I currently have a temp job. They want me to work fridays a couple hours to check emails and such. The first week I did and I was so bored I told them if they want me to check emails I am not walking 20mins each way to do that on a friday so they set me up to work from home which makes it easier for me.

Culturedpearls

Post Sat, May 11 2013, 11:20 am
I do. It's my own business & some staff are actually not working Friday. It's the most hectic day for me because I need to fill in for others. I leave when I need to pick up the kids usually around 3pm. Later in the summer.
Everything is cooked the night before & early morning Friday. My cleaning help is also there Friday.
So I walk into a clean home & just need to put up an urn & hotplate.

IloveHashem613

Post Sat, May 11 2013, 11:34 pm
I used to work on Fridays at various jobs I had, but now that I started working for myself, I don't work on Fridays anymore...a nice perk of having my own business Smile

Twizzlers

Post Sat, May 11 2013, 11:54 pm
I generally dont work on friday, but I do work on sunday...which I think is harder because I could prepare for shabbos thursday nite, but any errands or shopping I need done can only happen in the hour and a half window I have between carpools on fridays

chanchy123

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 2:06 am
No, but I live in Israel and work 5 days a week, most professionals do not work on Friday in Israel.

persephonefalls

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 2:14 am
I work on Fridays. However, my bosses are great with flexibility, and this past year have let me work from home on Fridays in the winter.

shosh

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 3:50 am
That's when I do a lot of my side jobs. Though in the summer, I try to take some time to make challahs as well. Very Happy

I work from home, so I create my own hours. I usually do about two or three hours on a Friday. And yes, I'm in Israel too. But I have to pay the bills ...

Rodent

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 6:57 am
Yes but the public school I work in finishes at 12.20 on Fridays and I get paid for a whole day so pretty lucky in that regard

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 8:19 am
I also work fulltime on Fridays, as well as erev YT. In spring/summer it's less of a problem, I can leave 4:30 or 5pm and still get home 1-2hours before shabbat (I can even cook one or two last-minute items!). During winter, I leave around 1-2pm as candlelighting can be as early as 3:30pm. With 1hr commute and sometimes unreliable public transportation, it can get VERY tight. Fortunately I do have slight flexibility in actual hours worked in the office so long as I get the jobs done, so I can work motzei shabbat or skip lunchtime on winter fridays. I also block my Outlook calendars so people who set meetings know I'm not available on winter Fridays.

Our nanny picks up the children (schools finish 3:30 or 4pm in summer, 12:30 in winter), I do majority of food preps Wed and Thu nights.

For the record, I find more secular/non-heimische offices are becoming accomodating to telecommute/ work-from-home arrangements. A bit frustrating in my case, as someone else has taken up that slot in my department, as he's junior (ie less responsibility to meet external clients) but has nearly 3 hour commute to his country house.

chavamom

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 6:32 pm
Nope. I got hired with not working Friday/Saturday as a condition of hire. Occasionally I will have to take or teach a class on Friday. But I am a hospital based nurse and have more flexibility b/c we work 12 hour shifts. That means all of us only work 3 days a week.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 7:10 pm
Generally not, but as I have my own part-time business, to a large extent I can make my own hours.

groisamomma

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 8:34 pm
I get home on Fridays the same as every day of the week, all year, close to 4 o'clock. Winters I walk in and bentch licht--I actually like it that way because I'm not domestic at all and by the time I come home everything in the house is ready for shabbos, spring and summer it makes no difference.

INSPIREME

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 8:35 pm
On Fridays, I work until 2 PM in the summer, and 1 PM in the winters. (9 to 5 the rest of the week)

cs1

Post Sun, May 12 2013, 11:34 pm
Nope.
And my staff do not like it that I don't respond to their emails from friday till monday...but that's the only way I stay sane. I beed a break from from the long week.

shanie5

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 12:02 am
Yep. Usually until 2/2:30. Its only a few miles home and I prep and cook thursday night, friday morning and when I gegt home friday. I usually leave a list for the kids to do until I get home.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 4:32 pm
YIKES YIKES YIKES YIKES YIKES!!!

For those of you who work erev YT and Friday (issur chag) and live chutz, how are you going to manage cooking for shabbat?
I've got all groceries and started cooking for Shavuot tonight. We do milky/parve meat for all Shavuot meals. Then DH reminded me that we have meal guests for Shabbat. It would be impossible to start cooking motzei yomtov (Thurs) as YT won't finish until close to 10pm. I'm working tomorrow till 5pm, will just barely have enough time to prepare things for Shavuot only. And I haven't placed order for meat!

Do I either cook extra parve thing and make a non-meat shabbat (not ideal, as I'm sure guests are expecting meats after pretty much everyone does milky meals for shavuot), or dispatch non-cooking DH to a takeout first thing on Fri morning?

busydev

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 4:35 pm
cook extra pareve sides now. planned leftovers type. and make quick and easy for shabbos- chicken straight in the oven (prepare now) etc.

look at it as a 3 day yom tov. with a "breather" (more like a breathless) in the middle.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics