Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tevere 84 was empty and snubbed us....we didnt spend enough
Previous  1  2

flowerpower

Post Fri, Jul 26 2013, 12:46 pm
Most upscale places expect you to order a certain amount and if not they can act not so nice. All restaurants should be pleasant and give good service. Like a poster said, the ones that are nice get recommended to friends and family members. Sorry you had that experience.

Sherri

Post Fri, Jul 26 2013, 12:50 pm
I have heard of places that have a minimum.

abby1776

Post Fri, Jul 26 2013, 12:54 pm
This was a long time ago, when I was in College - perfecting my grunge look and dating my DH. We had been out walking around NYC on a Sunday afternoon when we came across Tevere 84 and decided to try it.

They could have hidden us, in light of my poor appearance (its a miracle my DH married me) but instead sat us and were very nice, even though it was pretty clear we were poor college students. Granted this was in 1993, but the fact that the place has been around that long shows that they do know something about customer service and they do have repeat business.

I am sorry you felt snubbed.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 26 2013, 5:43 pm
test

amother

Post Sat, Jul 27 2013, 10:12 pm
abby1776 wrote:
....They could have hidden us, in light of my poor appearance (its a miracle my DH married me) but instead sat us and were very nice, even though it was pretty clear we were poor college students. Granted this was in 1993, but the fact that the place has been around that long shows that they do know something about customer service and they do have repeat business.

Hee hee! The attitude we felt might have come from management's instructions (subtly or not subtly) or the waiters themselves, BUT management and certainly waiters might have had tons of turnover since 1993! I cant believe that we were unique in being treated this way. Its got to be in the air there.

BTW, do you remember what you two spent there in 1993?

Barbara

Post Sat, Jul 27 2013, 11:25 pm
OP, you seem to be looking for an excuse to be insulted.

Yes, it is odd to go into a very expensive restaurant and ask if there is a minimum. Most people who are looking for a really cheap meal go to Soom Soom, or some equivalent. They don't got into Tevere 84 looking to spent $15. But the fact is that they still served you, and you haven't complained about the food (yet) or service (yet). Hint for the future: you can say "we're looking for a light meal, and will probably only order appetizers, is that going to be a problem?" It doesn't peg you so much as a cheapskate.

Still and all, there could be reasons for the waiter to have repeated your question. Maybe he didn't understand it (I've been served there by people whose first language is clearly not English), or didn't know the answer.

As to the table, you're acting as if they dragged out a folding table and chairs for you, and said "good enough for you!" They didn't. They gave you a table that they give many other patrons. Probably because it was a table to be served by the next server "up." You didn't think that they should sit you at a larger table, and then turn away a larger party if they came, so that you could spread out, now did you? But for the future, FYI, if you don't like your table, you can say "we're a bit cramped here, would it be possible to have a different table?"

The fact is that you have no reason whatsoever to think that the management, or anyone else, turned up their noses at you. FACT: They seated you. FACT: they served you. FACT: you have no complaints about the level of service or the food. But your repeated complaints could very well hurt the business and reputation of a kosher restaurant.

Why do you want to do that?

Do you think that there's something so special about you that a table that is regularly used for other patrons is beneath you?

Do you thin that there is something so special about you that the waiters or owners should tell you how much they would love you to come back, although that is not regularly done in high end establishments?

What is it that you want from them?

curiousgeorge1

Post Sat, Jul 27 2013, 11:47 pm
I ate at tevere 84 once recently and did not find them to be snooty at all. First of all, I was completely under-dressed (I was wearing a tichel and denim skirt) because my husband surprised me, and no one treated us poorly at all. They actually were really nice and seated us at a table in a more private area when dh mentioned it was our anniversary. We don't ever eat at such expensive restaurants UT I do know that asking if there is a minimum is just not done at a classy place. Obviously it caused them to think you were cheap, would probably order very little and not tip at all. So it is understandable that they didn't provide the best service. However, I do think it was rude for the waiter to repeat it and laugh in front of you.

I don't think it is a NY thing, I think that all upscale restaurants cater to a certain clientele and have a certain classy atmosphere that is part of what attracts ppl. And they certainly would not say come back soon! I think you may have just not been used to this atmosphere felt uncomfortable and therefore a little oversensitive that ppl were looking at you differently.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 12:06 am
curiousgeorge1 wrote:
.... I think that all upscale restaurants cater to a certain clientele and have a certain classy atmosphere that is part of what attracts ppl.

Absolutely, especially when they childishly laughed at an innocent question, loud enough for us to hear! Very classy indeed!

amother

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 2:00 am
amother wrote:
curiousgeorge1 wrote:
.... I think that all upscale restaurants cater to a certain clientele and have a certain classy atmosphere that is part of what attracts ppl.

Absolutely, especially when they childishly laughed at an innocent question, loud enough for us to hear! Very classy indeed!

OP, are you perhaps a competitor, trying to run them out of business?

I'm trying to figure out why on earth you would go on and on and on whining about a named restaurant, with ridiculous niggling little comments.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 2:45 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
curiousgeorge1 wrote:

OP, are you perhaps a competitor, trying to run them out of business?

I'm trying to figure out why on earth you would go on and on and on whining about a named restaurant, with ridiculous niggling little comments.

Yes this thread is pure motzei shem rah, and should be deleted IMO. OP, yes you're question was gauche and I get the feeling you are leaving out part if the story. If you don't like that place just go somewhere else, several other posters have reported good experiences there. Maybe it was just your behavior.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 6:55 am
Definitely right. We must have done something terrible to deserve being mocked, just as all of you, when you have been meanly mocked! Theres always a reason.

Sorry, Tevere84. Our apologies.

watergirl

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 1:19 pm
I think its a NY thing. I have been to many places in NY, good and bad and horrible. Waiters are on their phones and don't check in with me. Maybe I need ketchup? Maybe a napkin? Too bad for me! I have left places before with almost full plates because the food was so disgusting, and the waiter never asks how it was, or why I didn't eat it, or why I don't want to wrap it up and take it home. I don't think its an expensive restaurant thing.

solo

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 2:50 pm
I'm sorry bout ur bad experience. So disappointing when u plan an evening and...
Just cuz ull probably go out again sometime I thought I'd let u know that it does seen odd to ask about a minimum at a restaurant. And where a waiter seats u is probably based on logistics. But if ur unhappy with ur table u should not feel uncomfortable asking to be switched. Also I am almost never invited to "come again" and I never take it personally.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics