Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What is the hardest thing about making aliyah?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

jerusalem-girl

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 12:36 pm
I agree with amother above that it's sometimes the little things that make you feel inadequate, frustrated and moronic.

What worked for me was writing about the little frustrations, in a humorous way.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 12:48 pm
ITA -- It is all the little things that are hard! I remember the first time I went shopping for school supplies, I came home and called my BF in the U.S. crying! I couldn't figure out all the different types of notebooks on the teacher's list (14 shurut, 40 daf, 10 shurut 20 daf-- when it just said "shurah" was that a typo or a different type of notebook?), couldn't find the type of folders I was used to, etc. The store was mobbed so I couldn't really get help from the employees, etc.

And yes, a sense of humor is indispensable!!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 12:55 pm
Thank you so much for all of your replies!!!

I will be sure to bring BOTH sponges and ziploc bags Wink

And, no you did not scare me away Smile We are going into this with our eyes wide open, knowing it is going to be tough. We are working on our hebrew - just got rosetta stone! We don't have any children right now but iy"h soon. We are going to start out near my husband work so he can be near by and from there visit friends and family to check out different neighborhoods and easy into the transition (hopefully).

We have actually moved twice since we have been married to 2 different communities so I am used to the difficulties (and the loneliness that comes along with it). I am assuming that israel will be like that times 100!

Thanks so much everyone!

Marion

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 1:07 pm
You won't be lonely; you have all the Israeli Imamothers waiting to meet you!

jerusalem-girl

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 1:09 pm
Marion wrote:
You won't be lonely; you have all the Israeli Imamothers waiting to meet you!

Yeah! Remember to join the LII forum as soon as you land.

Klita Kala!

Sanguine

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 2:07 am
BAND-AIDS!!! - That's what's inferior in Israel. Maybe they stick on your knee,but put one on your hands and get it a little wet - Slides right off. American bandaids stay even through showers - Even the cheap brands. - Bring band-aids

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 2:10 am
ChangedMyAvatar wrote:
BAND-AIDS!!! - That's what's inferior in Israel. Maybe they stick on your knee,but put one on your hands and get it a little wet - Slides right off. American bandaids stay even through showers - Even the cheap brands. - Bring band-aids
There is a brand called nexcare (or something like that) which are great and dont come off in water.

smss

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 2:16 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
ChangedMyAvatar wrote:
There is a brand called nexcare (or something like that) which are great and dont come off in water.

shabbat - lol - isn't nexcare an american brand?? I thought they were imported no? Very Happy

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 2:23 am
smss wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
ChangedMyAvatar wrote:

shabbat - lol - isn't nexcare an american brand?? I thought they were imported no? Very Happy
Probably LOL I never saw that brand in america. But my point was that no, you dont have to bring plasters from america. You can get them here. And the band aid brand is also sold here, also good, but I find nexcare better.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 2:33 am
Nexcare... Good to know. Now my life is complete in Israel

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 2:41 am
ChangedMyAvatar wrote:
Nexcare... Good to know. Now my life is complete in Israel
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 2:54 am
OK, two things I really, REALLY need for my apartment. A dishwasher, and a landlord who will allow dogs.

I wonder what my odds are of finding both in the same place? Scratching Head

lst

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 3:08 am
amother wrote:
I just made aliyah in July.

Besides for the big things, which you seem well prepared for, and I did as well, what I find the hardest are the little things which trip me up.

For example in the US I was quite competent at getting a shopping cart at the supermarket, here it took me 3 trips to figure it out (put a 5-shekel piece in the slot to release the cart, which you get back when you return the cart). The problem was, I didn't understand the hebrew instructions and the translation was in french.

For example in the US I was quite competent at filling gas at the station. Here it took a few tries to realize that the fuel nozzle goes into the tank before you put the credit card in the machine.

I bought a rav kav card (equivalent to metrocard) and paid for 20 rides. It turns out the same card can be used on all different lines of transportation (yerushalayim local, beitar, gush etzion), etc, but you need to load the card up with different rides for the different lines. The funny thing is I got quite a few free rides where the driver was yelling at me, but I had no idea what he was yelling about.

It's little things like that - 100 times a day which is the stuff you don't plan for, but makes you feel like a total moron, whereas you used to be a successful, happy, well-adjusted and independent adult.

You need to be able to laugh at yourself, and have thick skin. It's a fun adventure. Some days is amazing, some days I'm an emotional wreck, but then I get on the highway and see signs that say "kever rachel", "yerushalayim", etc, and I remember what a gift this is and how absolutely fortunate I am that I am here.

Klita Kala and best of luck!

I don't think I ever put the gas nozzle in the tank before putting my credit card in, I always put the card in first, just like in america.

Also, if you happen to have quarters, those also work in the shopping carts Smile

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 3:16 am
We always bring band-aids (incl Nexcare) from the US. Glad you reminded me -- a relative is coming to visit in a few months and wanted to know what to bring us from the US.

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 4:49 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
OK, two things I really, REALLY need for my apartment. A dishwasher, and a landlord who will allow dogs.

I wonder what my odds are of finding both in the same place? Scratching Head

Just want to make you feel better - every place we've lived in has had a place for a dishwasher, and some of these places were over 30 years old.

Not sure about the dog though! You will probably have more luck if you rent a place with a little yard. Also, sometimes if you offer to pay a bit more that will work too.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 6:34 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
Not sure about the dog though! You will probably have more luck if you rent a place with a little yard.

For years my son was dying for a dog. We never bought him a birthday present cause all he wanted was a dog and I said "NO" (we live in a private house with a yard too). So when he was in 12th grade he and a friend went out and bought a horse!! - He said - See, you should have gotten me a dog all those years. Banging head

smss

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 6:36 am
ChangedMyAvatar wrote:
Tablepoetry wrote:
Not sure about the dog though! You will probably have more luck if you rent a place with a little yard.

For years my son was dying for a dog. We never bought him a birthday present cause all he wanted was a dog and I said "NO" (we live in a private house with a yard too). So when he was in 12th grade he and a friend went out and bought a horse!! - He said - See, you should have gotten me a dog all those years. Banging head

shock shock shock

don't tell me you have a horse in your yard now!! Very Happy

Sanguine

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 6:45 am
smss wrote:

shock shock shock

don't tell me you have a horse in your yard now!! Very Happy

No, it was just a 1 year craziness. We live on a Yishuv, not on a farm. They put it behind his friend's yard cause there was room. They built a really nice place for it and found out a horse "eat's like a horse" and was costing them a fortune. Also the neighbors complained that their house smelled like they lived on a farm.

The next year the boys left for Yeshiva and then life and no one's mother was willing to take on horse feeding (and riding) during the week, so they sold the horse

Sanguine

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 6:51 am
PS - OP- That's one of the easiest things of making Aliya- Life is less formal and more relaxing and 12th graders can own a horse (not a car, their parents can barely own one) but 12th grade is a year for fun since it's way too early to think about getting into university. It's great being a kid in Israel

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 7:06 am
Um, as laid back as Isreal is, my children cannot own a horse, at least not one that lives in our apartment!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions