Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Book Recommendations for an 8th grade girl
Previous  1  2

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 5:45 am
spring13 wrote:
Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith.

The entire plot of Crown Duel is driven by a romance... (I think it's a great book but OP specifically asked for no romance.)

chanchy123

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 6:13 am
theoneandonly wrote:
spring13 wrote:

The entire plot of Crown Duel is driven by a romance... (I think it's a great book but OP specifically asked for no romance.)

No she didn't - she asked for no s-x rape or violence.

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 7:43 am
chanchy123 wrote:
theoneandonly wrote:
spring13 wrote:

No she didn't - she asked for no s-x rape or violence.

Sorry, my mistake.

dimyona

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 9:14 am
Also The Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Beyond the Western Sea, and all the other awesome books by AVI.

fmt4

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 9:28 am
When I was in 8th grade, my friends and I loveddd Elizabeth George spears books- the calico captive, and the witch of blackbird pond are the two I remember. They're historical fiction, well written books about strong female characters coming of age. There is some clean romance, at most a kiss or two. I also loved Anne of green gables. Also all the little women books, plus Louisa may alcotts's other series, eight cousins. I also loved the Betsy- Tracy books. Also try the more grown up Beverly cleary books.

Blue jay

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 9:39 am
The Help,
By (forgot the first name Stockett)

Black beauty

Ann of green gables and the whole series. LM Montegomery
Jane Eyre
A tree grows in Brooklyn

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 9:14 pm
QueenBee3 wrote:
The Help,
By (forgot the first name Stockett)

Black beauty

Ann of green gables and the whole series. LM Montegomery
Jane Eyre
A tree grows in Brooklyn

great books. just a warning, a tree grows in brooklyn has a chapter involving a pedophile, and the junk trader pinches the girls in an inappropriate way as they start to mature. you also have the story of the violin teacher who has the girls go barefoot and the candy store owner (I think it was the candy store owner) who took a little girl into his back room. most of these are mentioned fairly lightly, no specific details, but it is a repeated concept in the book.

op, I read pretty much everything at that age. I loved the "cat who" series by lilian jackson braun at that age. they're murder mysteries, but they're quite clean compared to the rest of the genre, iirc. no s ex scenes. read a couple to make sure you're ok with them. I really don't remember anything objectionable in them.

Blue jay

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 9:30 pm
Thank you mummiedearest, for clarifying "A tree grows in Brooklyn'' Its been a long time since I read that book. My apologies OP, for not remembering the exact content of the book. Its definately a rated PG-13 book.

momfrombrooklyn

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 11:23 pm
what about the books by e l konigsburg or sharon creech.

Sherri

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 11:31 pm
Chayalle wrote:

Books by Noel Streatfield (?) like Dancing Shoes, Acting Shoes, Thursday's Child.....those may be for a younger teen but I loved them all.
Wow, haven't thought about those books in a while! Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children