Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What do you think of this video? "The Latke Song"
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

imasoftov

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 9:12 am
OK, enough complaining about the Latke video. Try this one.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 9:37 am
To the video imasoftov posted. How can I get back a few minutes of my life that I just wasted?? The only part I liked was the ending where they said what it's called. Oh and it was done well

amother

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 10:50 am
amother wrote:
I feel like I know the song. But I looked up Allan Sherman, and it's not his.

Then again, we lived in Scranton, so I may have heard it from Morris himself.

But I don't recognize any of the Epshteyns. I know Vera and her sons. Are these other Ephshteyns, Shani?

I also thought morris tune sounded like allan sherman;s song hello muddah hello faddah

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 11:00 am
Cute clip, imasoftov! I enjoyed it. So there.

black sheep

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 12:30 pm
on the first watching, it was meh.
on the second watching, after the first serving of vodka with latkes, it was okay.
by the third watching, and halfway through the bottle, it might just be the most brilliant song I ever heard.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 4:20 pm
Ah, this must be what I was thinking of:

amother

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 4:28 pm
thanks for posting the chanukah song by the sea ,Imamother
it was the best one so far

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 5:42 pm
Tom Lehrer was a genius.

rainbow baby

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 6:28 pm
shock shock imasoftov what was that meant to be exactly????

Sorry don't understand the first video, meant to be promoting drinking or something?

The most funniest thing is reading all the comments on this thread, had me in stitches. Rolling Laughter

amother

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 6:59 pm
Tom Lehrer song on you tube called ---------- silent e ----------

is a good song on you tube to teach people to speak a good english . Music Music Music

bigsis144

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 6:59 pm
zaq wrote:
Tom Lehrer was a genius.

Not enough to "like"; this deserves Music Not worthy Applause Music

amother

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 8:33 pm
thanks Zak for the poem .
what does the word Tzatzetes mean? is it yiddish ? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 9:51 pm
amother wrote:
thanks Zak for the poem .
what does the word Tzatzetes mean? is it yiddish ? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

You mean tzatzkes? Yes, it's Yiddish, may or may not derive from Hebrew Tzaatzua, a toy. If it's not a derivation thereof, it's an amazing coincidence that the words are so similar.

A tzatzke is a toy. It is also a derogatory term for a person who is any or all of the following: shallow, self-centered, unreliable, flighty, flirtatious, capricious, frivolous or of questionable virtue. The term is also used sardonically to mean "a nasty piece of work" as in "That guy is some tzatzke. You don't want to get on his bad side."

Not to be confused with kazatzka, a Russian folk dance commonly performed at weddings.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 22 2013, 7:30 am
Very Happy Thumbs Up
thank you , for you're answer . and poem

penguin

Post Fri, Nov 22 2013, 12:55 pm
In addition to that Vodka song being an annoying earworm (definition below),
Hidden: 

From wikipedia; An earworm is a catchy piece of music that continually repeats through a person's mind after it is no longer playing. Phrases used to describe an earworm include musical imagery repetition, involuntary musical imagery, and stuck song syndrome.

The phenomenon is common and should not be confused with palinacousis, a rare medical condition caused by damage to the temporal lobe of the brain that results in auditory hallucinations.[13]

According to research by James Kellaris, 98% of individuals experience earworms. Women and men experience the phenomenon equally often, but earworms tend to last longer for women and irritate them more. Kellaris produced statistics suggesting that songs with lyrics may account for 73.7% of earworms, whereas instrumental music may cause only 7.7%.
I am finding myself irritated by the rhyming of "vodka with latke". I wanted to say that LATKE is not a "collective noun" but upon further research I see that what I mean is a mass noun. That's like when you say "we had RICE and FISH" where there is no plural. But generally we eat latkeS, in the plural, right? Cause you probably can't eat just one.

If the author felt compelled to take poetic license, I think he should have just settled for rhyming vodka with latkeS, even though I wouldn't do either.

Or, he could have said vodka with A LATKE. I know, it messes up the meter, he'd have to work on that.

It's one thing to have a well-written song stuck in your brain. Oh well.

Someone told me to try singing The Star Spangled Banner, which is too complex to become an earworm but may get rid of the one you have. Please let me know if you try it and if it works.

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 22 2013, 1:05 pm
penguin wrote:
But generally we eat latkeS, in the plural, right? Cause you probably can't eat just one.

LOL Too true.

penguin

Post Fri, Nov 22 2013, 2:05 pm
For a really cute chanukah video[url=http://www.chabad.org/holidays/chanukah/article_cdo/aid/449769/jewish/Chanukah-Play.htm ]see this[/url]

amother

Post Sat, Nov 23 2013, 6:31 pm
Music Music I found a cute one on you tube

chanukkah with the chipmunks

it is a cartoon

amother

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 7:53 pm
the man at the head of the table is a chazzon he and his wife are lovely people who are russian.

cs1

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 8:38 pm
penguin wrote:
For a really cute chanukah video[url=http://www.chabad.org/holidays/chanukah/article_cdo/aid/449769/jewish/Chanukah-Play.htm ]see this[/url]

Now this video is the only one worth watching!
The narrator is adorable!!
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics