Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Baby alone in house??
Previous  1  2  3  4

octopus

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 7:48 pm
amother wrote:
What about in the car? When I drive to pick up my toddler from playgroup, I always wonder... does everyone take the baby out of the carseat, go knock on the door, pick up the older child, and then load both of them in the carseat again? Or do you just leave the baby in the car, park in front so you can see the car the whole time, and quickly come back with the toddler (thereby not waking the baby, and reducing hassle of taking baby out and in again)

yes, this is what I do. It's a huge pain in the neck, but that's why I have a carseat that snaps in and out of the base.

Redbird

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 8:07 pm
I once accidentally locked myself out of my apartment, with my baby alone inside crawling around. I had to run outside and get my landlord to find the key, and meanwhile I was so nervous my baby would get hurt ch'v

I live in a basement, so I tend to take my baby down and then run back up to get the stroller, and I must have had the door set in lock position when I ran up, and it closed...

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 8:11 pm
When my little one was in playgroup, I would park my car in front of the house, take out the car key, walk him to the door and hand him over to the morah. I was able to see my car the whole time, there was no reason to shlep my big one out of the car..

kb

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 8:32 pm
Octopus, my baby is too old for that type of car seat.
And Mommy2b2c, did you do that in the winter too?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 8:42 pm
Yes I did. It takes at least ten minutes for a car to get cold. And the whole thing took one minute or less. My only concern was someone driving away with my car, which is why I took out the car key.

Just to be clear, I am an extremely overprotective mother. In the winter, my babies wear a snowsuit, in a bundle me with a thin blanket, and then a thick blanket on top. I still cover my five year old with a blanket sometimes if I go for a long walk in the winter. (Depending on how cold it is)

If I left him in the car for one minute' trust me, he was safe and warm.

Heyaaa

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 9:13 pm
A baby depends on you for everything and the baby trusts you! Going outside with a baby monitor while you are in constant range of the monitor is not leaving the baby alone. When a parent sacrifices the baby's safety in favor of a convenience, the parent violates that trust. Whether or not the baby knows the difference, if you leave your baby alone you know what you are doing and you are a bad parent. I'm sorry to be so harsh.

octopus

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 11:13 pm
well now my dc is too old for that, as well. but I always take my child out. I could see the logic in doing that if you were really able to pull over and not double park. double parked cars are hazardous to driving cars, and can get banged up even just being parked. don't want my kid in the car if ch'v something like that happens. I know there are some less than perfect situations. not being judgmental. just this is what I do rather.

imawest

Post Fri, Dec 20 2013, 12:34 am
I pretty much say the same thing. Don't leave the baby. If it's just me and baby at home, I take showers with his door cracked and the bathroom door cracked and I am constantly listening. Not the most relaxing shower, but...

It's scary how many things can go wrong...that one time...

imaima

Post Fri, Dec 20 2013, 4:26 am
bamamama wrote:
mandr wrote:
anuta wrote:

baby in one arm carriage in the other, folded, going down the stairs?
Or baby in the front carrier, carriage in both hands being taken down?
Or baby in the carseat on the top landing, you bring down the carriage, then bring down the baby? At least the baby is outside the apartment just a flight of steps up...

1. Carriage is too heavy.
2. I don't own a baby carrier.
3. Then how do I go back to put the carseat away? This is for a carriage that includes the bassinet, not the click-carseat-on like a snap-n-go.

The solution to your problem is to wear your baby whether you like that solution or not. Otherwise, you're stuck with what you've got. I recommend the Ergo. You can prob pick one up used for cheaper than new.

frankly speaking I think a child is much safer at home in a crib or a playpen alone for 3 minutes, then hanging in a carrier and being in danger of being bumped with the bulky stroller. Or a mother could just fall down the stairs trying to manipulate the baby and the stroller. I am sure many of you have left your baby for longer periods while cooking or chatting on the phone or being busy with other kids. I personally have done it before and will do again if I just need to bump the buggy down the stairs. Obviously you need to always have a key in case the door closes by itself. A mother and a child are still within one building.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Dec 20 2013, 5:04 am
octopus wrote:
amother wrote:
What about in the car? When I drive to pick up my toddler from playgroup, I always wonder... does everyone take the baby out of the carseat, go knock on the door, pick up the older child, and then load both of them in the carseat again? Or do you just leave the baby in the car, park in front so you can see the car the whole time, and quickly come back with the toddler (thereby not waking the baby, and reducing hassle of taking baby out and in again)

yes, this is what I do. It's a huge pain in the neck, but that's why I have a carseat that snaps in and out of the base.

I don't unbuckle all my kids. What I did is call in advance so the baby is ready (he's the last one I pick). I park in the driveway, honk, go to the door. Our babysitter brings the baby downstairs to the door.

I also think location is important. In Brooklyn, I don't think I would do that. In suburbia, I'm much more comfortable with it.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics