Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
I wish I could of brought on my lift.....
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Sanguine

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 11:20 am
I apologize for always making fun of ziploc bags. I made aliya before there were ziploc bags. Maybe they existed (I'm not that old) but they were expensive and people didn't use them. So I never used ziploc bags (still don't know what you use so many for) and I think it's funny that the first thing on people's list is ziploc bags. I guess life isn't so hard here - If only we had ziploc bags... life in Israel would be perfect.

Please don't tell me what you use them for, I might realize how much I need them.

I won't make anymore ziploc bag jokes and I'm sorry I hit one of you amothers on the head (I thought you were joking)

So are we friends again? Hug

southernima

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 12:03 pm
smss wrote:
amother wrote:
Im just curious about small appliances? She should sell her urn, sandwich maker, immersion blender, croc pot etc? Aren't they more expensive over there?? My croc pot here was 30 bucks and my immersion bender and mini chopper were both 10!!

no, they aren't so much more expensive here. crock pots are around 100 shekels and immersion blenders are 40-50 shekels. small appliances don't work so well with transformers, I hears.

Better to buy the appliances in israel.

DO BRING kitchenware though. That is the thing I find to be the most expensive. A $12 steamer in the US is 90nis here. A $16 meat mallet is also 90 nis. Knives, spatulas, good cookware is also expensive. You may also want to bring table clothes. I like those no spill ones and can't find them here. I wish I brought some with me.

On the other hand I find dishes to be very reasonable here.

southernima

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 12:06 pm
Sanguine wrote:
I apologize for always making fun of ziploc bags. I made aliya before there were ziploc bags. Maybe they existed (I'm not that old) but they were expensive and people didn't use them. So I never used ziploc bags (still don't know what you use so many for) and I think it's funny that the first thing on people's list is ziploc bags. I guess life isn't so hard here - If only we had ziploc bags... life in Israel would be perfect.

Please don't tell me what you use them for, I might realize how much I need them.

I won't make anymore ziploc bag jokes and I'm sorry I hit one of you amothers on the head (I thought you were joking)

So are we friends again? Hug

It was me said the bee. Yes we can be friends again...but no more bopping me on the head or I'LL TURN YOU INTO A GOON!!!!

Shame on you

P.S. Yes, life in Israel would be perfect, if only we had ziploc bags and spill proof table cloths...and cheaper dish racks.

Liba

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 12:18 pm
Smile spill proof tablecloths come on rolls here, all sorts of interesting prints, at every hardware store I have ever been to.

Big Deal has plenty of ziplock bags if you need them.

peacemom

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 12:27 pm
Guess what? Osher Ad sells ziploc bags by this Kirkland brand, American garbage bags etc.
I think these are sold at Costco. By the way, I can practically fit a WEEK's worth of garbage in those huge bags, and we "make" lot's of garbage!

Sanguine

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 12:32 pm
Liba wrote:
Big Deal has plenty of ziplock bags if you need them.

Liba - we're not allowed to say the "z" word anymore. They're banning it here like s@X and g@y

amother

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 12:35 pm
Forgive me for my ignorance...what counts as kitchenware?

Liba

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 12:50 pm
Pots, pans, baking sheets, rolling pins, silverware, strainers, pyrex, casserole dishes, dishes, kitchen utensils, serving platters, etc. Everything you use in your kitchen. Smile

Sanguine

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 12:59 pm
Pyrex? those glass pans? Do you mean plain glass 9X12? Buy the cheaper brand (anchor I think) They're about 40 shekel. It's not like buying a cheap pot. it's exactly the same

11 PM here at LII so good night if anyone is still here Sleep Yawn Sleep

Last edited by Sanguine on Wed, Dec 25 2013, 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shuly

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 1:00 pm
I found kitchenware to be inexpensive here - in places like Impiryat Hachessed and Hamachsan.

Good quality silverware is expensive here, so bring a few sets (fleishig, milchig, pesach)

southernima

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 2:37 pm
Shuly wrote:
I found kitchenware to be inexpensive here - in places like Impiryat Hachessed and Hamachsan.

Good quality silverware is expensive here, so bring a few sets (fleishig, milchig, pesach)

I find it really depends what. Dishes and glassware is reasonable. Good quality pans, steamers, meat mallets, peelers, knives, spatulas (the sillicon, non-melting kind) etc... is MUCH cheaper in the US.

Liba

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 3:04 pm
Corelle and Corningware are really expensive here.

My feeling is, if you are making a lift and already have a fully stocked kitchen with things that work for you it makes sense to bring what you have.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 5:38 pm
sara_s wrote:
amother wrote:
Sorry for being a grammar pain, but every time I see this thread posted on the recent topic section, I shout at my screen, "It's could have and would have, which could be shortened to could've or would've!"

Ahhh, that feels much better!

At wits end

It was driving me crazy too! Yeshivish grammar..

now now..thats not very nice? Is it now?

seriously whats the big deal.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

amother

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 5:43 pm
Liba wrote:
Pots, pans, baking sheets, rolling pins, silverware, strainers, pyrex, casserole dishes, dishes, kitchen utensils, serving platters, etc. Everything you use in your kitchen. Smile

Thank you, that was very helpful!! Does anyone know if you can hang shoe organizers etc over the door in Israel? Or in general over the door hooks etc?

Shes looking to optimize her space as much as possible.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 9:19 pm
amother wrote:
sara_s wrote:
amother wrote:
Sorry for being a grammar pain, but every time I see this thread posted on the recent topic section, I shout at my screen, "It's could have and would have, which could be shortened to could've or would've!"

At wits end

What is wrong with helping the op speak and write correctly? Better here than when she writes it somewhere where it counts and reflects poorly on her education and intellect! Just a friendly helpful piece of info!

Liba

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 1:11 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
sara_s wrote:
amother wrote:

At wits end

What is wrong with helping the op speak and write correctly? Better here than when she writes it somewhere where it counts and reflects poorly on her education and intellect! Just a friendly helpful piece of info!

There is nothing wrong with helping people speak or write correctly. There is a problem with calling ignorance and bad grammar Yeshivish. Most, if not all, Yeshivish people I know are perfectly aware of the difference between "of" and "have" and use them both appropriately.

sped

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 1:21 am
Liba, thanks. I am "yeshvish", was raised that way, and have the same reaction.

smss

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 1:22 am
Liba wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
sara_s wrote:
amother wrote:

At wits end

There is nothing wrong with helping people speak or write correctly. There is a problem with calling ignorance and bad grammar Yeshivish. Most, if not all, Yeshivish people I know are perfectly aware of the difference between "of" and "have" and use them both appropriately.

amother wasn't the one who called it "yeshivish." sara_s was.

Liba

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 1:32 am
smss wrote:
Liba wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
sara_s wrote:
amother wrote:

At wits end

amother wasn't the one who called it "yeshivish." sara_s was.

but the amother she was responding was complaining about the amother who called the poor grammar "yeshivish". Ignoring the offense and just dealing with the grammar was an implicit agreement that the issue was a Yeshivish one.

Meiraleah

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 1:42 am
amother wrote:

Thank you, that was very helpful!! Does anyone know if you can hang shoe organizers etc over the door in Israel? Or in general over the door hooks etc?

Shes looking to optimize her space as much as possible.

Some and some....our over the door shoe bags don't fit, but they will stay. Our towel rack on the back of the bathroom door falls some times. The tops of doors in the US are a solid even door, they are not like that here, kind of a step down, so they don't get a tight grip, just kind of hang (very not clear, maybe someone can explain better?). We bought one of those shelf/vanity things that go behind the toilet but it wouldn't fit because the piping for most toilets goes out the side instead out through the back like in the states...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions