Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
I wish I could of brought on my lift.....
Previous  1  2  3

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 5:24 am
Liba wrote:
smss wrote:
Liba wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
sara_s wrote:
amother wrote:
Sorry for being a grammar pain, but every time I see this thread posted on the recent topic section, I shout at my screen, "It's could have and would have, which could be shortened to could've or would've!"

Ahhh, that feels much better!

At wits end

It was driving me crazy too! Yeshivish grammar..

now now..thats not very nice? Is it now?

seriously whats the big deal.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

What is wrong with helping the op speak and write correctly? Better here than when she writes it somewhere where it counts and reflects poorly on her education and intellect! Just a friendly helpful piece of info!

There is nothing wrong with helping people speak or write correctly. There is a problem with calling ignorance and bad grammar Yeshivish. Most, if not all, Yeshivish people I know are perfectly aware of the difference between "of" and "have" and use them both appropriately.

amother wasn't the one who called it "yeshivish." sara_s was.

but the amother she was responding was complaining about the amother who called the poor grammar "yeshivish". Ignoring the offense and just dealing with the grammar was an implicit agreement that the issue was a Yeshivish one.

My Think & Do workbook in 4th grade used "would of" as an example of wrong grammar. It was published by MacMillan, not Torah Umesorah.

Butterfly1986

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 5:34 am
Baking Paper. Is it just me but every time I make a kugel/cake etc the paper sticks to the food. I've been bringing over quality baking paper from England for years now. If anyone knows of a quality brand here I'd be so grateful!

mandksima

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 6:00 am
Butterfly1986 wrote:
Baking Paper. Is it just me but every time I make a kugel/cake etc the paper sticks to the food. I've been bringing over quality baking paper from England for years now. If anyone knows of a quality brand here I'd be so grateful!

I use any brand here of the precut and folded baking papers and have been thrilled with all of them. I actually send some back to America when people visit. I use them A LOT, probably 20-30 a week if I do a lot of baking/roasting. Nothing ever sticks and for cookies, I even reuse them a few times. I am very particular about quality but I can't think of anything that is wrong with the ones here.

chaiz

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 6:03 am
Sanguine wrote:
Pyrex? those glass pans? Do you mean plain glass 9X12? Buy the cheaper brand (anchor I think) They're about 40 shekel. It's not like buying a cheap pot. it's exactly the same

Where can you get that?

southernima

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 6:05 am
chaiz wrote:
Sanguine wrote:
Pyrex? those glass pans? Do you mean plain glass 9X12? Buy the cheaper brand (anchor I think) They're about 40 shekel. It's not like buying a cheap pot. it's exactly the same

Where can you get that?

Yeah I second. I have bought anchor in the US but its almost as much as pyrex. I haven't seen it in israel for that price. The best I have seen on pyrex is buy one get on free.

Liba

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 6:09 am
sarahd wrote:

My Think & Do workbook in 4th grade used "would of" as an example of wrong grammar. It was published by MacMillan, not Torah Umesorah.

And do you have a Torah Umesorah or any other yeshivish grammar book that says "would of" is correct?

Last edited by Liba on Thu, Dec 26 2013, 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 7:42 am
I am the amother who initiated the post about the grammar. I never insinuated nor wrote that the mistake was a yeshivish one. I just was posting a universal mistake that many ppl make. No personal offense to any group in particular. Just a general observation.

(Actually I used to teach in a chassidish high school and this was very common, so it's a yeshivish, chassidish, jewish, ignorant mistake!)

Sanguine

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 7:56 am
chaiz wrote:
Sanguine wrote:

Where can you get that?

Our local "general store" - (I better run out and check before someone else who lives does) - but the cheap brand is cheap - I know cause I drop them and break them (pyrex and cheap break the same)

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 8:14 am
Liba wrote:
sarahd wrote:

And do you have a Torah Umesorah or any other yeshivish grammar book that says "would of" is correct? Rolling Eyes

Obviously not. (I hope it was clear that my point is that "would of" is not an exclusively "yeshivish" error.)

Liba

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 9:32 am
sarahd wrote:
Liba wrote:
sarahd wrote:

And do you have a Torah Umesorah or any other yeshivish grammar book that says "would of" is correct? Rolling Eyes

Obviously not. (I hope it was clear that my point is that "would of" is not an exclusively "yeshivish" error.)

Very Happy I didn't understand your point before. Sorry.

chevi1

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 10:00 am
amother wrote:
sara_s wrote:
amother wrote:
Sorry for being a grammar pain, but every time I see this thread posted on the recent topic section, I shout at my screen, "It's could have and would have, which could be shortened to could've or would've!"

At wits end

it was driving me crazy as well, and I'm yeshivish......

willow

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 1:04 pm
Over the door hanging bags fit my doors. I can not find sets of silverware that have two forks. It is standard in AMerica to have a smaller fish fork and bigger one. Here I have never seen it.

Liba

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 1:11 pm
willow wrote:
Over the door hanging bags fit my doors. I can not find sets of silverware that have two forks. It is standard in AMerica to have a smaller fish fork and bigger one. Here I have never seen it.

When I was buying for a kallah we tried and tried and couldn't find silverware with fish forks either! It was really odd and frustrating actually. They were frum stores! I would think fish forks would be more in vogue and needed here than in the US secular stores.

willow

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 1:26 pm
I know!! Liba thank you

freidasima

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 1:42 pm
If you want things made abroad bring them from abroad period.
That means, if you want an american washing machine or a big american gas dryer, buy them abroad. If you want a big american standing stove (30-36 inches wide) bring from abroad. A fridge you can buy here, and they have the shabbos locks and considerations, definitely better here than abroad. Small appliances I would buy here (toaster, toaster oven/broiler) hand mixer, microwave.

Furniture. Only bring something to which you really are attached.
Toys = bring from abroad
shoes, underwear, socks, stockings, nightclothes, robes, pants, suits, boots, clothing in general, bring from abroad.
Makeup, toiletries, sanitary products, medicine, vitamins, bring from abroad.

Kitchen - dishes, silverware, pots, pans, bring from abroad.
computer, office supplies, bring from abroad.

space in the lift - fill up with good toilet paper, tissues, good aluminum foil, ziplocs (more on that for Sanguine in a moment!), shoe polish, shoebags (the kind on hangers that you put in the closet), silver polish, cotton balls, etc.

Food - macormick spices and the like that are very expensive here, get from abroad. If you have a real discount store, get things like packages of cookies, ramen noodles etc. that come four for a dollar. If you use organic food like organic peanut butter or closed container stuff, bring some, very expensive here. Really good shampoo, washes, etc. bring with you.

Non aluminum based ladies spray deodorant (body spray) bring from there. It's practically impossible to get here. Special company stuff - things like Crabtree and Evelyn, etc. bring from abroad.

Linens - if you have good inexpensive permanent press sets, bring from abroad. Quilts - if you use Ikea, get from abroad, cheaper than here.

sara_s

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 5:27 pm
smss wrote:
Liba wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
sara_s wrote:
amother wrote:

At wits end

What is wrong with helping the op speak and write correctly? Better here than when she writes it somewhere where it counts and reflects poorly on her education and intellect! Just a friendly helpful piece of info!

There is nothing wrong with helping people speak or write correctly. There is a problem with calling ignorance and bad grammar Yeshivish. Most, if not all, Yeshivish people I know are perfectly aware of the difference between "of" and "have" and use them both appropriately.

amother wasn't the one who called it "yeshivish." sara_s was.

I called it Yeshivish because I saw this term used in ads in Mishpacha and in Bina. And I thought it's nicer to say this is a common mistake in certain circles, than to say it's simply poor grammar.

I'm sorry if I offended anybody! :-)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions