Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What do you want to receive?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Isramom8

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 2:39 pm
Send us candy and nosh of all kinds! We still have young kids at home and that's the fun of Purim for them. Party Ice cream cake

They also only like me to make nosh mishloach manot for our family to give out. It reflects on their coolness somehow. Thumbs Up

The year I gave out tzedaka cards was a miserable Purim for my kids; I can't do that to them again.

Shmerling

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 3:03 pm
A variety of everything! Which is what we get, so no complaints. I wouldn't want to get only nosh or only cut up fruit.

sky

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 3:18 pm
Real food. Especially if it can be eaten on Purim - salads, cut veggies with chummus or breaksticks.

I freeze any real food we get and we use it unless it looks unappetizing but most of the stuff we get is from people we know really well I'm thrilled to get stuff from them.

to those complaining about the maton l'evyonim - we get a lot of shaloch manos on purim at least 50+. I'd rather get a donation to tzedaka then a small box with a mini-liquor that we will never use and 3 small chocolates that with the packaging cost the sender $7+ dollars. I just don't appreciate it enough.

My DH used to be in a business where he hired lots of Jewish companies - they used to send great items on tanis esther (instead of during the typical holiday season). We used to get a cheese cake, sushi, a break fast package from a bagel place, etc. He isn't in that line of business anymore but when he was it was fun getting real food to break the fast on (not really shaloch manos)

mille

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 3:52 pm
I like the candy and cakes. LOL

I tend to give real (usually homemade) food, though. I also don't give a lot, just something small, like a snack before the seudah or to have with the seudah.

eschaya

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 8:10 pm
teawithlemon wrote:
Just curious, anyone here go for the matching costume and mishloach manos theme? For instance; family dresses up like monkeys and gives out bananas and banana cake... The food is usually gross, but people will do anything for a cute 'theme'

We do. But I disagree that my mm are automatically more gross than anyone elses. Let us see.... last year we gave out turkey sandwiches, pumpkin cranberry muffins, apple cider, and candy corn (can you guess how we were dressed? Three pilgrims, two native amwricans, and the most adorable baby turkey too). Or the year before, with dairy chocolate coins, glittering rock candy, black topped cupcakes, and wine all in a treasure chest (pirates and a token parrot). I can go on. I take offense at the automatic insults to those who like to indulge in their creativity once a year. I agree that mm that are only about the theme are easily led down the path of grossness, but when a family theme is well thought out and enjoyed by all parties, the mm can be even better than nonthemed (same good food plus the cute or fun or wow factor).
Anyway, with regard to the original post, we are good with anything except the real junky candy like taffy and gumballs. I dont bring soda into my house so I really dont appreciate that, but it is my personal hakpadah. A good mix of real food and sweets is best.

sky

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 8:17 pm
For my young kids if you give soda - I'd much rather it be caffeine free.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 8:36 pm
For those who do not like getting homemade items and find it gross (not those talking about kashrut or storage issues) do you never eat at other people's homes?

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 9:14 pm
sky wrote:
For my young kids if you give soda - I'd much rather it be caffeine free.

And I'll add- PLEASE don't give my kids soda! Even candies don't pack as much sugar as soda does.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 7:21 am
JAWSCIENCE wrote:
For those who do not like getting homemade items and find it gross (not those talking about kashrut or storage issues) do you never eat at other people's homes?

I'll be bluntly honest, I do BUT I chose carefully who especially if it's a real meal cook there as opposed to a "gouter (4/5 pm meal) and I've had surprises.
I'm NOT mega machmir but I've been served strawberries straight from the box no washing no cutting no checking in a chassidishe home, for example. "Even" my lite MO parents wash/rinse, cut something questionable...
I've had people thinking their way of keeping koshr/CY/glatt was the universal way or at least accepted by all... so I don't keep CY or glatt BUT don't tell me it's rather kasher because you separate the dishes but sometimes you used them for treif meat...

Now, when I see the "crowd" on Imamother, so very machmir, holding THEIR way or the highway, I don't understand the trust.

willow

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 11:31 am
eschaya wrote:
We do. But I disagree that my mm are automatically more gross than anyone elses. Let us see.... last year we gave out turkey sandwiches, pumpkin cranberry muffins, apple cider, and candy corn (can you guess how we were dressed? Three pilgrims, two native amwricans, and the most adorable baby turkey too). Or the year before, with dairy chocolate coins, glittering rock candy, black topped cupcakes, and wine all in a treasure chest (pirates and a token parrot). I can go on. I take offense at the automatic insults to those who like to indulge in their creativity once a year. I agree that mm that are only about the theme are easily led down the path of grossness, but when a family theme is well thought out and enjoyed by all parties, the mm can be even better than nonthemed (same good food plus the cute or fun or wow factor).
Anyway, with regard to the original post, we are good with anything except the real junky candy like taffy and gumballs. I dont bring soda into my house so I really dont appreciate that, but it is my personal hakpadah. A good mix of real food and sweets is best.

I agree. Even if I myself don't always go all out I LOVE seeing the creativity that others come up with. I find it super enjoyable to see themes and the talent that goes in.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 8:04 am
This year, nothing. Or tzedakah cards. We don't have kids, DH will be in Israel for work and I'm not sure if I'll be in Israel with him (probably not) so it'll be Purim by myself and I'm just not interested in receiving tons of mishloach manot and eating all that junk food by myself and having the pressure to reciprocate to so many people.

I'm not that into giving mishloach manot either. DH is the one who is really into Purim and spearheads our mishloach manot effort and he won't be here. I'll give mishloach manot to people who'll really appreciate it (our families, elderly neighbors, people who just moved in, select close friends) and tzedakah cards to my friends who I know, like me, would prefer them, but I'm just not going to go crazy with it. I just don't have the energy or interest this year. Purim day is on Sunday this year, but if it were a weekday, I would go to work.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics