Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
What are great careers for girls graduating HS?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

gold21

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 9:18 pm
amother wrote:
I think that's a big problem in the entire therapy field. So many frum people going into just because its the thing to study. But they have no passion for it and come out of their programs as mediocre therapists who don't know what they're doing and dont really care. I'd say around 10% of therapists are actually passionate and good at what they do and really want to help their patients.

true!

I always wanted to do physical therapy, as a close relative of mine needed P.T. after being hit by a car (the person is fine now B"H) and it really interested me. But these frummed out programs just didn't interest me. I wanna get an education, not just speed thru a program to get a quick degree.

The problem is, now I have no degree...

Last edited by gold21 on Mon, Jan 20 2014, 10:20 am; edited 2 times in total

amother

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 9:22 pm
Simchas Purim wrote:
Why not? She might be really good at it.

Speaking of flooded...there are no jobs for new grads unless they are top of their class in a top 14 school. Or unless their daddy is partner in a big law firm.

Is she interested in medicine? Nursing and PA aren't too long and make decent money. They are both in big demand (though it's harder for new grad nurse to find a job than new grad PA).

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 9:39 pm
What kind of lifestyle does she want? Is she looking for a career in its true sense, or training for a job? Will she eventually want to work part time? All of these are important factors. Not every career works with every lifestyle. And she absolutely must enjoy the field, or else she will do poorly and be miserable to boot.

mommyto3RN

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 9:49 pm
Nursing is a great career, schooling isn't so bad someone can get their associates rn then work while finishing a bachelor's and soo many doff fields to working and for someone who wants flexible schedule there is homecare nursing, its always tough to find a job in the beginning bc a lot of employers want experience but there is always something to be found.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 9:51 pm
amother wrote:
Speaking of flooded...there are no jobs for new grads unless they are top of their class in a top 14 school. Or unless their daddy is partner in a big law firm.

Wow! Are there really that many frum girls/women who are lawyers? I wasnt aware of that. AFAIK, there is a need for frum female lawyers especially when it comes to family law.

piece

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 10:06 pm
she should go into fields that she believes she has a talent for
you don't need a lot of schooling in order to make good money
I know of a guy who gave boys/mens haircuts & is busy all day from it, & now bought himself a house off that money.
I see how a shaitel macher makes great money. also girl haircuts, cut shaitels, sells shaitels.
-CPA
- even graphics - if she's good, she can work for herself eventually.
- BCBA - behavioral training mostly for autistic children
-computer programming

optimist

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 10:23 pm
I always wanted to do physical therapy, as a close relative of mine needed P.T. after being hit by a car (she is fine now B"H) and it really interested me. But these frummed out programs just didn't interest me. I wanna get an education, not just speed thru a program to get a quick degree. ([/quote]

I attended a regular college and found that some of my friends who attended "frummed out" programs
had more book knowledge and practical knowledge than I did! I think if you are passionate about what you do and keep seeking to better yourself after you graduate, it doesn't really matter what kind of program you attend!

gold21

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 10:36 pm
optimist wrote:
I always wanted to do physical therapy, as a close relative of mine needed P.T. after being hit by a car (she is fine now B"H) and it really interested me. But these frummed out programs just didn't interest me. I wanna get an education, not just speed thru a program to get a quick degree. (

I attended a regular college and found that some of my friends who attended "frummed out" programs
had more book knowledge and practical knowledge than I did! I think if you are passionate about what you do and keep seeking to better yourself after you graduate, it doesn't really matter what kind of program you attend![/quote]

That's such an optimistic point of view, Optimist! :-)
I dunno, but I hear ya.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 10:38 pm
Where do her talents lie?
What subjects does she like in HS?
Does she like working with people?

She needs to understand where her strengths are and then find something that matches her aptitude and personality.

kiwi strawberry

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 11:49 pm
Court reporting. If she puts in the work she can finish in 2-2.5 years. You don't need a degree; you can start court reporting school straight out of high school. It has great earning potential and you can also do it part time.

June

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 7:01 am
kiwi strawberry wrote:
Court reporting. If she puts in the work she can finish in 2-2.5 years. You don't need a degree; you can start court reporting school straight out of high school. It has great earning potential and you can also do it part time.

kiwi strawberry, are you by any chance a working courter reporter?

court reporting is a really great career - if you finish. I strongly recommend that a girl becoming a court reporter should push off dating until she completes her schooling.

mommyshani

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 8:50 am
What is her short and long term goal? Does she plan on being able to cut her hours once she is married/has kids, or does she plan on being a full time career woman? Some careers (such as accounting, sheital macher, nursing, babysitting, which actually makes decent income), allow for more family friendly hours (a large portion of accountants are mothers who have kids, and although they may need good juggling skills, many firms are family friendly, and even self employed accountants, if they are good, can take on only as many clients as they want). Others (such as law, assuming she can land a job, or medicine - there is a major need for female general practioners) requires a commitment to years of schooling (including plenty of tuition) and a full time career.
Also, what does she enjoy? There is no point in going through years of schooling, only to decide on her first internship she finds the field as one can't stand.
Whatever she does, she should find someone who is in he field she want to go into, to help her navigate the pros and cons. Hatzlocha!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 12:15 pm
We absolutely cannot answer without knowing her tastes and strengths. Also does she want a carreer or a job? FT, part time?? long/short studies, more or less intense? does she want to see people, can she handle sickness, would rather sit or move? physical (dis)abilities?

Do NOT EVER go into a field because it's in. I keep seeing in some NY circles, "s/he works with disabled children", "s/he is a therapist"... and here in some circles it's "she's a pregan mora"... in the beginning I was like wow, now I think kinda "whatever, they all say it" (like using the words "hard working", "growth oriented" etc on American resumes). I doubt all have this calling.

mirror

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 12:26 pm
I have a friend who is a dental hygienist (I wish I was). They make about $70,000 a year. If she has trouble finding a job out of school, she can float, do per diem work, and STILL make $70,000 a year.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 12:32 pm
Btw I see now someone mentioned being a shadow.

My mother who is unemployed has been approached to do this by the unemployment bureau. The hours are crazy (even in part time, you may have 8-10 then 13-15 then 16-17 or whatever, and in a public school they may only need you for Friday afternoon), the pay is extremely low, and depending on the child it can be highly challenging too. The lady said few people handle it full time.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 12:36 pm
In the US, you can work as a shadow and get paid for the full school day (or part of the day if you want to work part time) and it pays very well for a job without a degree.

mirror

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 1:31 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
In the US, you can work as a shadow and get paid for the full school day (or part of the day if you want to work part time) and it pays very well for a job without a degree.

I have a friend who was a shadow. You have to find a family who is willing to hire you, and once the kid graduates you need to find a new family. Even if you hear of a family looking for a shadow, they may not hire you and hire a family friend to do her a favor.

You are much better off with a two-year degree which is in demand, such as dental hygienist (I wish I had done that) where you are making $70,000 a year even if you have to work per diem and go to different dental offices each day.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 1:35 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
I have a friend who was a shadow. You have to find a family who is willing to hire you, and once the kid graduates you need to find a new family. Even if you hear of a family looking for a shadow, they may not hire you and hire a family friend to do her a favor.

You are much better off with a two-year degree which is in demand, such as dental hygienist (I wish I had done that) where you are making $70,000 a year even if you have to work per diem and go to different dental offices each day.

Oh, I'm definitely not recommending it as a long term career. Just pointing out how it works here.

sky

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 2:51 pm
I agree with figuring out what her long term goals are.

Some of the jobs listed here require being in an office 40 + hours a week, or working 12 hours shifts.

Does she plan on working full time with kids, would she like to consider a flexible profession, have summers off, Is she okay putting in overtime during busy season, a job that could work from home. Will she be able to complete her degree if she has kids before finishing.

Pharmacists is a good profession or audiologist but both require a lot of school and a phd.

[in Lakewood there is an audiologist who works from home, the local drs really like her and she has a long wait for appointments]

21young

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 3:27 pm
Paralegal - if she likes writing and analytical thinking, schooling is short and it's well paying.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children