Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Video of a Rebbi Hitting a Child - Trigger Warning
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

tigerwife

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:18 pm
amother wrote:

p.s. no they don't hit in girl's schools but in elementary I was told in several instances that if hitting were allowed, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Emotional abuse is more common in girls' schools. By the general rule, boys are physical and girls are emotional. Emotional abuse is also harder to prove.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:26 pm
amother wrote:
To above amother....."IF hitting is appropriate"? When Is a teacher hitting a student EVER appropriate? Are you for real??!!!!

we have had many such threads, some groups consider it appropriate as do some poskim.
But this is not the topic here...

again, parents need to stop fearing schools. They pay the school! school is there to suit YOU!

octopus

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:31 pm
amother wrote:
let me start by saying that I am not pro corporal punishment in any way shape or form, but I don't yell "abuse!!" any time I hear about hitting a child.
this however is absolutely abuse. first of all, it's in front of the whole class while all the boys are watching, lending a component of emotional abuse. second of all, you could hear the anger in the teacher's voice. if hitting is ever an appropriate punishment, it should be meted out under circumstances where the adult has control over his/her emotions. This rebbi clearly didn't, as the harder he yelled, the harder he hit. I hope the camera boy wasn't the next victim. if he wasn't afraid of that, I'd imagine the video would last longer than 6 seconds.
p.s. no they don't hit in girl's schools but in elementary I was told in several instances that if hitting were allowed, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

when a parent does it, I wouldn't yell abuse too fast as long as it is a small potch. even though I don't agree with it. but a TEACHER....no potch EVER, big or small, is ever acceptable.

this rebbi boxed this child's ear. reminds me of the stories of mark twain and charles dickens. but ppl...this is not the late 1800s anymore, when will you realize that this is not acceptable behavior???

ElTam

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:35 pm
If you have first-hand knowledge of abuse and you do nothing about it, you are complicit in the abuse. Full stop and no excuses.

Likely, nothing will happen when you make a report, whomever you report to. But sometimes, something does happen, and when the second, third, fourth, etc. report comes in, it becomes harder and harder for those in charge or children's services or law enforcement to ignore.

And yes, I have called both the police in a domestic violence case and CPS in a separate situation involving a child's safety. It is scary. It is unnerving. It is also totally necessary.

Last edited by ElTam on Tue, Mar 18 2014, 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

marina

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:37 pm
amother wrote:
IIRC this rebbi is a melamed in a Monsey cheder now!

If you actually know who this person is, you should contact law enforcement. I'm not sure about the statute of limitations, but they should know about this and should get involved. I doubt this person just stopped. Even as we speak, if this person is still teaching, he is still doing this.

לֹא תַעֲמֹד עַל דַּם רֵעֶךָ

Last edited by marina on Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

gold21

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:38 pm
I don't want to watch the video, it sounds too horrible.
What kind of yeshiva allows children to be physically abused by their Rebbes?

This is a classic case of parents trying to fit in and being afraid to speak up and rock the boat.
I don't ascribe to that version if Judaism. If there's a problem, then speak up. Fitting in is overrated.

I get it, a bunch of rowdy little boys are a handful and hard to deal with- so they should have 2 assistants per class, and if a kid is really out of hand, he should be sent out of class.

Hitting is never OK.
Ugh. Exploding anger

sneakermom

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:43 pm
It's horrible. Such abuse.

I'm curios how it got on camera.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:50 pm
My husband showed this to me today and I cried.

Dolly1

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 2:54 pm
My heart aches for those innocent kids!

citimom

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 3:10 pm
I am soo angry right now!! Who took this video?? How could another adult have seen this an thought it is ok??? Parents are actually ok with this??? What is wrong with people??

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 3:22 pm
amother wrote:
BTW, it's no secret as to who took the video. Obviously, I wont post it, but just saying.
What??????? Who do you mean? Another rebbe????? I sincerely hope not.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 3:23 pm
Based on the angle, I'd assume it was a classmate.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 4:03 pm
That video made me cry.
It reminds me of this article: http://www.zaakah.com/2012/09/.....-out/ . I grew up in Monsey & when I read it I immediately called up my 2 older brothers who had gone to Bais Mikroh and asked them if anything had happened to them. One brother said no but boys (he said not only in his school) got hit all the time & no one made a big deal about it. The other brother (a big buff tough guy mind you) started tearing up and said that yes he had been hit too.
It is especially painful to me that my brothers went through this b/c we grew up in a very unstable home and it makes me so so sad that they had no safe place.
I've posted before about this- I went through the BY system and it was BAD, but there was never any physical abuse. (NOT that emotional abuse is any better- it just seems that girls schools take a different approach to "discipline").
And so to the people who ask me why my (2.5 yr old) son is in a non frum nursery/babysitters group, THIS, my friends, is why. Exploding anger Sad

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 4:10 pm
I'm the amother who just posted right above.
One more thing- I do not think this video should continue to be shared without the boys face being blurred. I cant imagine how embarrassing & traumatizing it must be for this boy to see this moment splashed across the internet.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 6:16 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the amother who just posted right above.
One more thing- I do not think this video should continue to be shared without the boys face being blurred. I cant imagine how embarrassing & traumatizing it must be for this boy to see this moment splashed across the internet.

I heard the boy is ok with it being shared. He even posted more pics of him & the boy who took the video. Theyre friends.

mfb

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 6:42 pm
Just curious why this came out suddenly now?

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 6:55 pm
amother wrote:
That video made me cry.
It reminds me of this article: http://www.zaakah.com/2012/09/.....-out/ . I grew up in Monsey & when I read it I immediately called up my 2 older brothers who had gone to Bais Mikroh and asked them if anything had happened to them. One brother said no but boys (he said not only in his school) got hit all the time & no one made a big deal about it. The other brother (a big buff tough guy mind you) started tearing up and said that yes he had been hit too.
It is especially painful to me that my brothers went through this b/c we grew up in a very unstable home and it makes me so so sad that they had no safe place.
I've posted before about this- I went through the BY system and it was BAD, but there was never any physical abuse. (NOT that emotional abuse is any better- it just seems that girls schools take a different approach to "discipline").
And so to the people who ask me why my (2.5 yr old) son is in a non frum nursery/babysitters group, THIS, my friends, is why. Exploding anger Sad

I'm so sorry for your experiences, and those of your brothers Sad
I just want to point out that there are many, many wonderful frum babysitters and preschools. Youre throwing out the baby with the bathwater, and it's a shame. If you think that this is nonexistent outside the frum world, youre not in touch with what is truly happening out these.

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 8:14 pm
Well, if this jerk is still teaching in Monsey.
Clearly parents in Monsey don't mind if a large man sacks their son around.

HOW can this JERK still be allowed to be within 10 feet of children?!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 8:17 pm
mfb wrote:
Just curious why this came out suddenly now?

He actually had it on fb for a while

amother

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 8:20 pm
malkacooks wrote:
Please let us know which one. The parents in that school have a right to know

I think in Pupa cheder, but I'm not 100% sure.
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics