Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
What are the chaseedishe ladies buying?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 1:55 am
Quote:
If you ever go to Woodbury you will see the chassidim shopping in all the expensive stores. They are in Ferragamo and Burberry and all of the others

So obviously if you see them there you're there as well. And If I'd go to Woodbury commons you bet I'd go into these stores, just for the fun of it. Who says they shop there anyway? If you see me going in there it's usually for window shopping.

It's so silly to generalize. There are many Chaseedish people who shop in expensive stores and there are many non-Chaseedish people who shop in expensive stores. There are many Chaseedish people who shop at cheapy stores and there are many non-Chaseedish people who shop at chapy stores.

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 12:44 pm
While it is a mitzvah to patronize frum stores, sometimes I feel that I am obligated to buy something. I also feel that what I can afford or am willing to pay now becomes someone else's business. On the one hand it is heimish to have the store owner know what is going on in your life, that maybe you have a simcha in the family and make suggestions on a personal level. On the other hand, what if you don't want someone else involved? When someone shops at department stores such as Macys, it is impersonal which is sometimes the reason that they go. These stores have no problem taking credit cards. The downside to non jewish stores is that very little is tznius.

chen

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 12:56 pm
southernbubby wrote:
When someone shops at department stores such as Macys, it is impersonal which is sometimes the reason that they go.

Quite so. Do I really want Mr. Glueckelheim of Hindy's Foundations (Hindy being Mrs. Glueckelheim) knowing my bra size? embarrassed For that matter, do I want Hindy knowing? And do I really need Mr. Gutgezogt of the shomer shabbos grocery telling dh "Are you having a party--your wife just bought three packages of Paskesz cookies and a pint of Klein's ice cream"?

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 1:04 pm
Chen you are so funny !

Blossom

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 2:36 pm
CHEN Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Quote:
MR. Gutgezogt of the shomer shabbos grocery telling dh "Are you having a party--your wife just bought three packages of Paskesz cookies and a pint of Klein's ice cream"?

There's no choice here though darling. Gotta buy Kosher y'know.

amother

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 2:40 pm
There is nothing wrong with shopping in Woodbury. I shop there too, that is why I see them and I am not embarrassed.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 2:51 pm
I'm not embarrasd to shop at Victoria's Secret either! With DD OR my mom!

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 7:18 pm
The answer to your questoin is simple. Unfortunately, children's clothing are a FORTUNE in our local stores. a fortune. I cant seem to find one single affordable (as in: Under $40!!!) summer outfit for my son. Department stores are very cheap.

As for the outfits that dont look tznius: My mothe rin law, for example, is an absolute WHIZ at altering untzniusdig garments into gorgeous outfits. She buys pants which she turns into skirts, she buys long tunics which she cuts up to add sleeves, etc etc. she pays pennies for stunning suits that look like theyre several hundred dollars.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 7:31 pm
mama, does she take customers?

bashinda

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 7:40 pm
amother wrote:
There is nothing wrong with shopping in Woodbury. I shop there too, that is why I see them and I am not embarrassed.

Okay sorry but you're not embarrassed but you're posting anonymously. I'm sure you've got a good reason but you must admit it's a bit amusing isn't it? Smile

Lilkingdom

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 11:14 am
I'm chasidish and I 'live' by these Manhattan dept. stores and so do all of my friends. There are so many normal stuff you can buy there and the prices are a lot cheapr than local stores. Besides...since when can't a chasidish woman dress according to the style if it follows halacha guidlines?

Does everyone really think all chasidish women wear pleaded skirts and a shpitzel only? 8)

Beauty and the Beast

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 1:14 pm
boy, this was an interesting thread!!
the questions ppl come up with, lol
I am chassidish, so let me enlighten you.

I do not look like a typical chassidish veibel, I am more trendy, and we arent a specific chassidus. But yes, I do see ladies in those expensive stores, because I am there too!

Many of the times, I go in for the fun of it, to see if there is even a hanger from Burberry or chanel that I can afford! It feels so good to go in to the stores and make believe u can have it all!!!

I shop in Victorias secret, because they have beautiful underwear and lingerie, and I love to feel good, even if it is something noone can see.
( besides the one that does see it, lol)

When I do go shopping, I love a good metzia, and shop in the department stores. I cannot afford the prices they have here in brooklyn, u can fuggetaboutit.

So please realize, chassidish women are normal women, and we are all the same underneath. ( cuz we are all wearing the same beautiful underwear!! ha ha)
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics