Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Living in Israel
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

suomynona

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 1:40 am
I thought of a few more things.
Americans take taxies much more than Israelis.
There's vaad habayis. In my previous building, it was a fortune during the winter months, and the heat wasn't even good so we needed space heaters, which means higher electric bill. Most Americans have air conditioning. My old apartment also didn't have a dud shemesh so we used electricity for every shower.
We also paid a fortune in dentist bills this years.
You have to take all these extras into account. You can't just say that living expenses = food + rent.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 1:44 am
If you're renting an apartment, don't you still have to pay Arnona?

suomynona

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 1:54 am
Kmelion wrote:

yes, but if neither the husband and wife are working, like in OP's case, there's a very big discount (I believe 80%).

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 2:00 am
mimivan wrote:
Yes, I find it almost impossible to comprehend another's budgeting and standard of living either at the very high end or at the very low end. I was not exactly a spendthrift in the U.S. and lived very modestly, but I experienced shock when I first made aliyah and had to forego all of those things (like central heating, dryers, Tropicana) which I felt were necessities. In addition, I was getting 25 shekels an hour as a babysitter! I can imagine how people would feel who are used to a higher standard. Better tell them they need more money than they actually need than less!
but I think that it just depends on priorities also. I mean, I looove tropicana but I live without it, on the other hand, I do not live iwthout a drier. that to me, when we got married was a necesity.
just like to some ppl who come here the american products that you can find in some supermarkets, are necesities and they will pay for them even if they are very expensive.

Quote:
yes you do.

amother

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 8:05 am
Do you think that it is more expensive living in Israel for two years and husband learning or living in the states for two years and husband learning?

Also, do you know if Arzei Habirah is cheaper than Serotskin?

suomynona

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 8:26 am
amother wrote:
Do you think that it is more expensive living in Israel for two years and husband learning or living in the states for two years and husband learning?

It's probably not more expensive living in Israel, but the difference is that in America, most women get some sort of job, at least before they have children. So that means the parents have to give a lot less support

Quote:
Also, do you know if Arzei Habirah is cheaper than Serotskin?

I'm not sure. Maybe slightly, but not a significant difference. You probably can't get an apartment in Arzei for less than $1000. The 2 places have different type of crowds, though. Also, it's very hard to find apartments in both these neighborhoods.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 8:34 am
It depends how you are planning to live while being supported.

I know my BIL recently got married, and they were deciding whether to learn here or in Israel and the parents made a budget for both, and it came out around the same.

Unless you are planning to live like an Israeli in Israel, you will spend the same living like an American in Israel or an American in America.

lst

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 8:45 am
I live in israel, not being supported. I also work minimally and my husband is learning.
k ill admit, I dont pay rent, which is a HUGE factor in this, but we live in housing from the yeshiva. however, I have spoken to a lot of people, as well as done my own calculations and as some ppl have said-living in israel is not more expensive than living in america.
rent in most places in america are around 1000 a month, if that little, food costs roughly the same amout here and there. (and as someone said before, its a matter of priorities with certain things)
money takes u a little farther here than in america, I find also.
and taking buses over taxis definitely saves A LOT of money.
and just like in america, there are top of the line brands, really cheap, and everything in between. it is possible to live on a normaly budget here, its not any harder than in america (financially at least)

amother

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 11:02 am
We live between 150 - 200 k a year. In Israel. We live comfortably, but not over the top. On the other hand we bought a house, so we have a lot of payments.

Marion

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 11:09 am
Rent is $1000/month? Wow. I would have used that figure to include rent, arnona, va'ad bayit, water, electricity, and gas. And I thought I used to live in an expensive neighbourhood!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 1:54 am
Marion wrote:
Rent is $1000/month? Wow. I would have used that figure to include rent, arnona, va'ad bayit, water, electricity, and gas. And I thought I used to live in an expensive neighbourhood!

marion, me too, before I was married, I lived in rechavia which is known for being very expensive and I did not pay anywhere near 100 dollars in rent....thats a bit nuts....

Seraph

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 2:22 am
1000 dollars a month is more than I used to pay for my apt in brooklyn... And israel has cheaper apts than brooklyn.
I was told that a good price for a 2 bedroom apt in jerusalem is 600 dollars... I live outside jerusalem and pay half that amount for a 2 bedroom...

Last edited by Seraph on Mon, May 07 2007, 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total

smiley:)

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 2:29 am
600 shekel or dollars? You wont find anything almost anywhere for 600 shekel!

Seraph

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 2:30 am
smiley:) wrote:
600 shekel or dollars? You wont find anything almost anywhere for 600 shekel!
Oops. Edited.
You can find a caravan probably for 600 shekel...

suomynona

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 3:02 am
breslov wrote:

I was told that a good price for a 2 bedroom apt in jerusalem is 600 dollars...

Maybe if you are looking in Ramot or Neve Yaakov but I don't think you can find close to that price anywhere closer to the center.

Seraph

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 3:30 am
suomynona wrote:
breslov wrote:

I was told that a good price for a 2 bedroom apt in jerusalem is 600 dollars...

Maybe if you are looking in Ramot or Neve Yaakov but I don't think you can find close to that price anywhere closer to the center.

Katamon? My sil lived there and paid that much for her 2 bedroom...

amother

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 3:58 am
I lived in a furnished one-bedroom apt in rechavia for $750 a month.

Marion

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 4:19 am
amother wrote:
I lived in a furnished one-bedroom apt in rechavia for $750 a month.

Furnished is different than not furnished. We had a 3rd floor walk up in Katamon for $625, unfurnished. 2 bedrooms. When I was single I shared a 3 bedroom in Katamon (also 3rd floor) that was $850, furnished with beds, mattresses, and closets. Also depends what floor you're on, if you have a garden, whether utilities (electric/water/gas) are included for you. My DH's grandparents rent a 2 bedroom, ground floor (6 steps up) totally furnished (including utilities, internet & phone, and fully equipped kosher kitchen -- not sure about the arnona) also in Katamon for $1400. They do feel it's a bit expensive, but are also very pleased that they never have to deal with anything...the landlord pays all the bills and does all the maintenance, and it never takes more than a single phone call.

mimivan

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 4:23 am
There's Katamon and katamonim. Katamon is getting more and more expensive. You may find a smallish 2 bedroom for $600, but it is getting harder...Katamonim, however, is very cheap, but it is kind of run down. We rented the same size for $350..but not everyone would feel comfortable living there.

Marion

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 6:22 am
mimivan wrote:
There's Katamon and katamonim. Katamon is getting more and more expensive. You may find a smallish 2 bedroom for $600, but it is getting harder...Katamonim, however, is very cheap, but it is kind of run down. We rented the same size for $350..but not everyone would feel comfortable living there.

I know the difference...my SIL & BIL are in Katamonim because that's what they could afford (barely). I have no clue what they pay in rent, but the rooms are smaller than what we had. My SIL makes a gorgeous home, regardless, and they needed the 2nd room for my neice (their first place had NOWHERE for a baby).
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics