Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
We're in very dire straits. Need help to figure things out.
Previous  1  2  3

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 9:18 am
amother wrote:
when I say bubkis I just mean that if I have to pay for babysitting when working, I would need to make more than just that amount. Does that make more sense?

yes it does. so then you need to find a reasonable way to have childcare. do you have vouchers? do you have family to help out? can you work part time and have a babysitting swap with a friend? I understand you need to find something to cover childcare expenses, but you are turning down a lot of things suggested here. you have to start somewhere.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 9:35 am
I meant, just re-type your CV as the present one isn't getting responses. Yes, as the poster said, fiddle and tinker with the formatting, type size, what you mention first. Keep all versions. Put a descriptive sentence at the top.

If you like being home with your kids, take on another kid, just one, so another lady can work. She will pay you to watch her kid. You know that trade very well, are already set up for it.

You will have to be very sweet and nice to her at all times, so she trusts you. You will need to insist on being paid every morning in cash when she drops the kid off, paid for that day. No credit. A daily rate and no fussing about the exact time of pick up and drop off. She has bought your day. She brings the food for the kid, wipes, toys, and a change of clothes.

When she comes to drop off the kid, your house should look ok and you should look ok. You should act very happy and upbeat.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 1:17 pm
amother wrote:
As I wrote above, I have applied to many jobs and have gotten not a one response at all.
So, what then do you say?

(interesting idea toll collector, but where I live, not america, there are no toll roads)

A)That you can't just apply, you need to follow up with phone calls and emails- be proactive
B) be more open-minded re: job opportunities.

spinkles

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 2:04 pm
OP, most jobs that are posted on job sites or appear in the classifieds get tons of applicants. You're more likely to get a job through networking with people you know and through calling businesses directly to ask if they have any openings: "Hi, my name is Ima Mother, and I have x number of years' experience working as a receptionist. I am currently looking for a position and I was wondering if there will be any job openings at Name of Company.”

Temping is also a good option; my sister moved to NYC knowing nobody, started out temping doing basic secretarial stuff, and ended up eventually at a company that loved her. They hired her as a permanent employee. Since she's intelligent and inquisitive, she asked people to show her how to do stuff, and she ended up learning how to build databases, so they promoted her, and she's now in charge of a bunch of other people. And, she now also has a thriving part time business working from home building databases for nonprofits. She makes close to 100K from her side business.

spinkles

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 2:10 pm
Something else: many small companies will pay you well if you can man their customer service line and do an excellent job handling upset customers. If you're good with people and good at troubleshooting, you'll be worth your weight in gold.

SplitPea

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 2:13 pm
Op I have been in your shoes. No degree so any job I get does not cover babysitting. Emotionally babysitting was not the best option for me (I could not be home with more kids)

Options I looked into:
Selling products (avon, cutco, mary kay, origami owl, etc)
Work from home telemarketing
Buying things at thrift shops and reselling on ebay
amazon selling using drop shiping
Working nights at a resturant (when Dh could babysit)
Starting Classes using skills I have to teach others

In the end none of them panned out for one reason or another. Sadly the fact of the matter is that people with littel-no job skills and small children at home babysit. it stinks. I don't enjoy it. but its what is possible.

Even the secretary jobs you are looking for (you say they never last does this tell us that you are not a stable employee... this might be why its hard for you to get hired) Do THEY pay enough to cover babysitting? Probably not unless you have some major skills. Nothing pays. Telemarketing, retail and babysitting are some of your only options. Think about what can be done either with your kids or when your dh is hope and just do it. Or go into thousands of dollard in CC debt/

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 2:18 pm
SplitPea wrote:
Op I have been in your shoes. No degree so any job I get does not cover babysitting. Emotionally babysitting was not the best option for me (I could not be home with more kids)

Options I looked into:
Selling products (avon, cutco, mary kay, origami owl, etc)
Work from home telemarketing
Buying things at thrift shops and reselling on ebay
amazon selling using drop shiping
Working nights at a resturant (when Dh could babysit)
Starting Classes using skills I have to teach others

In the end none of them panned out for one reason or another. Sadly the fact of the matter is that people with littel-no job skills and small children at home babysit. it stinks. I don't enjoy it. but its what is possible.

Even the secretary jobs you are looking for (you say they never last does this tell us that you are not a stable employee... this might be why its hard for you to get hired) Do THEY pay enough to cover babysitting? Probably not unless you have some major skills. Nothing pays. Telemarketing, retail and babysitting are some of your only options. Think about what can be done either with your kids or when your dh is hope and just do it. Or go into thousands of dollard in CC debt/
Im the OP. I just wanted to mention that in terms of non of the jobs lasting, I was never fired from a job. I had to leave one because of a terrible boss, one company went under, one ran out of money, there was always something. I am a very stable employee Sad

SplitPea

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 2:21 pm
amother wrote:
Im the OP. I just wanted to mention that in terms of non of the jobs lasting, I was never fired from a job. I had to leave one because of a terrible boss, one company went under, one ran out of money, there was always something. I am a very stable employee Sad

that all might be true but your resume will either show an unstable work history or huge gaps where you leave off short term jobs. that is a big minus for being hired and might make you need to look elsewhere/

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 2:22 pm
SplitPea wrote:
that all might be true but your resume will either show an unstable work history or huge gaps where you leave off short term jobs. that is a big minus for being hired and might make you need to look elsewhere/
What do you mean look elsewhere?

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 4:14 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe thats why some mikvaot charge to dip. The mikvah where I dip does not have enough traffic for this to be any kind of real payment for the ML. Lets say, at most, 6 women a night, and not always. And its about $8 for a dunk. Thats not much a month, if you think about it.
Nope, by us, the money is for the upkeep of the mikvah.

Our mikva gets even less traffic but the ml gets paid nevertheless by the shul for her time. I doubt your ML is volunteering.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics