Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
1 car in the 5 towns- possible?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 10:32 am
LOL OP - my parents live in the 5T and the pair of them have 2 cars - my father uses a car even to drive to minyan.
But when we were growing up we only had one car bc my father took the LIRR.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 10:34 am
Op here, I use zipcar now, but I don't really need it that often. Would it still be cheaper than a second car if I need to use is several times a week?

SplitPea

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 10:44 am
I have never seen a zip car around the five towns. You would probably need to take a cab to the car!

It is possible most likely to pay into a carpool but I think you need to take what we are all saying to heart. To live happily in the five towns you need a car available.

I have a friend who does not have a car. When a kid is sick at school she is calling everyone trying to find them a ride home.

When her child's carpool falls through she is taking a cap to and from her child's school. When she needs toget her kid to a sick dr appointment it's again begging for rides or a cab. To get to the gym and back, again begging for rides. To get to Costco, clothing shoping, Walmart, the mall, a dr appointment for her, dry cleaners, to pick up 1-2 items she forgot at the store etc.....

There is not public transportation here like the city and things are NOT close.

Have people made it work... Yeah. But every single one of those I know don't have a second car because they live month to month and can't physically afford one and dream of the day they do.

mommyhood

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 10:52 am
amother wrote:
Wow, I really am a city person, had no idea that's how it works embarrassed In any event, dh would prob be able to do morning runs, but not afternoon. Is there such a things as paying to be in a carpool? I can't be the only person in existence who can't drive a carpool.

It may be possible to pay someone but it's probably not that much cheaper than leasing a car especially if you have to pay for more than one kid.

nyer1

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:42 am
mommyhood wrote:
It may be possible to pay someone but it's probably not that much cheaper than leasing a car especially if you have to pay for more than one kid.

um, really? I dont think so. I dont think that anyone would want to take more than 5 or 10 dollars a day.. even that seems high to me. it really doesn't cost much for the driving family to drive a few blocks out of their way to pick up another kid. even if the OP gave $5 per ride.. thats $50 a week... still less than a lease, gas and car insurance combined.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 12:24 pm
Just wondering which of the five towns are you moving to?

chanar

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 2:22 pm
I can't imagine it being easy to find someone who will take the extra carpool for money. A lot of mothers also work, so they're fitting it into their schedule and it's tight. I had an issue one year cuz preschool started at 9 and I had to be in school for 8:30. Bh it worked out cuz a teacher would take my child for pay. Maybe you could send to the JCC for preschool that might be an idea cuz then your husband could drop off before he leaves to work.. They have early drop off and late pick up..

bookworm10

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 12:29 am
Carpools require you to drive.

Maybe it is possible to find a carpool where you can pay, but I imagine it is harder. After all, how much do people charge? And personally I would rather one less turn than money.

Like I said, I did it for a year and it was HARD. My kids were both under 3 and at home so thats the only way.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics