Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Regular blood test for 6 week old baby!!!!
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 4:51 pm
[quote="BrachaC"]My daughter was born without a thyroid- I don't live in Brooklyn so I don't have a specific lab or phlebotomist name, but we found that it was more about calling ahead and making sure they had two techs available and that they were prepared for an infant draw. It is horrendous in the beginning, but the day we got our diagnosis a doctor told us- "if you have to have something then this is the thing to have" and 11 years later I can totally understand why he said that.[/quote]

oh my gosh I am so happy to see someone has the same as dd. I feel so much better now. I really felt like crying today when I went to get blood from dd. she was probably screaming for 15-20minutes I didnt time it. it felt like hell. sorry for the language. I feel like crying now even. what do you mean by that comment. I dont get it. I hope your being positive. I have to be anon bec dh doesnt want me to tell anyone.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 4:53 pm
I actually went today and we were successful after so many tries 2 days ago. it wasnt easy today either. but I hope he will have a easier time next time in about 4 weeks. thanks for taking the time to answer.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 10:08 pm
anyone else? attention to all boro parkers please help me out here

notshanarishona

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 1:40 pm
Y can't they take from a finger? I have always had much better success with that.

momomany

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 6:32 pm
My newborn needed a blood draw (more than a fingerstick or heelstick). I had a great experience at quest lab near 48 street and 9th avene. I dont know if that location still exists, or if the technician who was so good is still there. You should first find out if a finger or heel stick is ok for the particular test ur dr ordered. Those are very simple and quick-anyone can do that. If more blood is needed, you should call all local lab locations and ask if they have someone experienced with newborns or hard sticks. Then go when that person is in. Quest lab lets you make apppointments in advance so there is not.much waiting. I know it is difficult now, but I will echo the poster who spoke about her childs thyroid issues. Thyroid hormone replaced has been around for years (my mom is in her 80s and has been taking it since her childhood in europe!). I have a beautiful, accomplished 11 year old niece who has been taking it since birth. This is a well understood and easily managed condition. You child will grow and develop just like everyone else. She will take a tiny pill everyday. You will take for periodic blood tests to make sure her hormone levels are where they need to be, otherwise it will be ok... really.

Rutabaga

Post Sat, Dec 05 2015, 7:38 pm
This thread is from a year and a half ago. Hopefully the OP has figured things out by now.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics