Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Food in NON kosher restaurants
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

What do you or would you take in non kosher restaurants
Nothing  
 39%  [ 36 ]
Only drinks  
 50%  [ 46 ]
Only bread  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Only desserts (because meat doesn't go in these dishes)  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Only cold stuff like sushi (no tolaim)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Everything cold including salad  
 3%  [ 3 ]
Everything but meat  
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 91

JRKmommy

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 3:09 pm
Thanks for the clarification. I know you've made aliyah, but wasn't sure where your rav was, and the Trans-Canada comment made me wonder.

I assume that this would be a fact-based analysis (and I do see the reasoning behind not using a restroom in a private establishment if you aren't a customer).

sarahd

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 3:16 pm
Motek wrote:
Quote:
a) we could ask for them to set aside a seperate set of good dishes for us

treife dishes?

I assume he meant new dishes. What else could he have meant by "good" dishes?

Quote:
Quote:
b) that bread was ok to eat, since they cooked it in a seperate kitchen away from all other food

pas akum?

Bread baked by a commercial enterprise is not pas akum; it's pas paltar and is not assur.

Quote:
Quote:
c) that salad was ok to eat.

insects? what knife was used to cut veg?

Presumably there were salads made of non-infested veggies. The knife is a good question, though.

HindaRochel

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 3:24 pm
Re the knife, I think this was mentioned somewhere else, but health codes require a separate knife be used on different products...but I could be wrong...

ChanaRochel

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 11:35 am
Real World

In Lakewood/NY of course we wouldnt even step foot in such a place. But when we went to Kansas on vacation one summer, dont have so many choices. Especially especially with a 3 yr old boy. Amazingly the non jews out there are far more respectful then the non jews (or non relig jews) in nj.They went out of their way to get yogurt and c cheese with an ou, for us.

Piper

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 11:23 pm
ChanaRochel wrote:
Real World

In Lakewood/NY of course we wouldnt even step foot in such a place. But when we went to Kansas on vacation one summer, dont have so many choices. Especially especially with a 3 yr old boy. Amazingly the non jews out there are far more respectful then the non jews (or non relig jews) in nj.They went out of their way to get yogurt and c cheese with an ou, for us.

Really? How nice Very Happy

As far as bugs in treif salad, veggies, etc. in restaurants, my non jewish friends never encountered that.

Motek

Post Tue, May 22 2007, 5:14 pm
Piper wrote:

As far as bugs in treif salad, veggies, etc. in restaurants, my non jewish friends never encountered that.

not surprising as they are tiny and if you're not looking for them and know what they look like, you won't notice them

choc wrote:
that said about the strawberries, have you ever seen a bug? The women I know who do the whole soaking thing say they've never seen a bug.....

there are letters/signs, signed by those in the know, about strawberries being infested

TorahMom48

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 2:41 pm
There is nothing room with going to a rest stop to use the restroom, buy a drink or even a regular coffee.

It is a rest stop and there is no problem of maris ayin because everyone understand that people need to stop sometimes when you drive. It is very very different to going to stam a restaurant. but yes people who never left brooklyn or Israel might not understand.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 5:00 pm
I don't know what's pshat infested, but no one I have ever known that checks strawberries has ever seen a bug

mumoo

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 1:13 am
I was told to wash the berries before Shabbos, or you risk killing bugs and also to slice the tops making sure there is no hole left for the bugs to run into the center. I am real careful but while I serve strawberries 2-3x a week, I have never seen one bug.

(and I've seen romaine bugs and I'm an experienced lice checker)

TorahMom48

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 11:08 am
my understanding is that in the states there are few reliable non glatt hechsherim, can you specify which ones crayon? a chabad one? It could be there are a few reliable ones, since I'm sure you would not eat an unreliable.

In E"Y where we can't just sell all the meat that comes out non glatt to the non jews, there are many acceptable orthodox hechsherim, such as many rabbanuts etc whos standard hechsher is not glatt. (as anywhere else you have to know what is reliable and what is not)

Piper

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 12:29 am
Crayon210 wrote:
He tells a story of a man who used to drink coffee out at a particular non-kosher place, but the man said it's just coffee and milk, no big deal...

Then one day he was talking to the owner and asked how do you get your coffee drinks to taste so good, he answered I flavor them with parts of a pig. shock

eeeeew, most non jews wouldn't drink that!!!!!

I have ibs and a bad bladder, so when we are on a long trip, if I need to go, we stop at any fast food place for the facilities.

myfriends715

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 11:31 am
one second all the people that are soo agianst waliking in to a nonkosher restaurant... let me ask you... where did you go on dates? its very common practice here to go to the bklyn marriot or marriot in the city and sitin the lounge (and they also serve food there) and have your date there... its done by yeshivish and non yeshivish alike.. but def. ppl. who are frum... another example is the river cafe.. it is a non kosher restaurant that is known as a date spot b/c of its beautiful view and lots of frum couples go there on a first or second date... they order sodas and no one has ever made a fuss about it.. (the river cafe charges a $25 minimum so the drinks come out pretty expensive lol)

gryp

Post Mon, Jul 09 2007, 11:13 am
The Aruch HaShulchan was Reb Chaim No'oh.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions