Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Taking Babies and Children to hear the Ten Commandments
Previous  1  2  3  4

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 7:03 am
Henya wrote:
the Rebbe said to bring children to shul, even babies, for Asseres Hadibros. Let's not confuse this with the entire davening!!!!! Asseres Hadibros is all of 10 minutes max. You can come just before AH & leave right after. How hard is it to prepare your children to keep quiet for 10 minutes? Bring books, bribes..whatever it takes. No, they don't have to stay in shul for the entire davening. I think that it's too much to expect a small child to keep quiet for that long & like lots of posters mentioned a disturbance to the other mispalilim.

There you go! [Of course we're not confusing it with the entire davening, if what you are referring to is my last post. That was just BTW, as an illustration of an alternative plan that could work, if that's what someone sincerely was looking for, and not a way out. My own children are actually not at the age to create a disturbance anymore, anyway. The youngest is reading from the Siddur nicely. But of course, it wasn't always that way. ]

So you are quite right!

gryp

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 9:04 am
Quote:
I don't think there is any Chossid who feels proud of or even good about his accomplishments...In fact probably most feel guilty about them! Not what we did but what we didn't yet do. we all know there is so much more expected of us.

SaraYehudis- I just wanted to let you know that im glad you wrote this.

and of course, aseres hadibros is not even ten minutes long. and since you dont have to hear every word like the megillah, it doesnt have to be perfectly silent. I dont see why its not manageable, but shavous is over until next year...
so lets get ready for the next upcoming yomtov....

miriam

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 9:05 am
RG wrote:
so lets get ready for the next upcoming yomtov....

Good idea. I think it's time to move on ladies.

stem

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 9:12 am
SaraYehudis wrote:
stem, (just theoretical, not personal) but doesn't the husband also have a mitzvah to be mechanech the children? My husband has been helping me with the children - for shul -since they were tiny (no, not diapering Sad ) They b"h always listen to him. ( I don't have that kind of success Smile, so let him handle them since he's so good at it!) ) On Shabbos I always ship them out with him, and they sit by his side for the whole davening.( the girls are my department).

Yes, the father has an obligation to train his sons in Davening. My kids are 3 and 1 so this does not apply to them. We decided that we would not insist on the kids davening in Shul until they really wanted to go, and were ready to behave and Daven. Forcing a little boy to daven by his fathers side when he would rather be running around will just become a power-struggle unless the boy sees this as a big privelage and a reward for maturity. This is my opinion.

About Shavuos, we don't have the minhag to bring the kids to hear Aseres Hadibros, but if we did and it was accepted to bring children into Shul, I would probably bring them in for the duration of the AH and then leave.

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 11:44 am
SaraYehudis wrote:
Doesn't everyone bring their babies for Birchas Kohanim?

everyone? never heard of such a thing in or out of Lubavitch

roza wrote:
also I want to know- if ppl for some reason could not go to shul does that mean that they did not recieve the Torah on that day?

rhetorical question I assume Wink

gryp

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 11:56 am
it seems to be a new phenomenon that I see everyone bringing their babies and children for birchas kohanim. im not sure how it started or where it came from.
does anybody do this/not do this?
where does it come from?

I dont davka run to do it but I think its a nice idea.

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 12:32 pm
sure it's a nice idea and it's done bec. as someone posted, you can carry, use a carriage

you can get all dressed up go shmooze with the other mommies (not IN shul of course) and wait for your husband and stroll off together

Tefila

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 3:04 pm
LOL Motek cute emoticon.
And yes I try to always take the kids to Birchas Kohanim infact when I can't on a rare occassion, it bothers me no end Confused

miriam

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 6:36 pm
Same with me Freilich. Who holds the babies of the Kohanim? The mothers?

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 6:37 pm
miriam wrote:
Who holds the babies of the Kohanim? The mothers?

why would the babies be in shul with the husbands?

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 6:44 pm
Motek, I think miriam is asking , who holds the koahnims babies , during birkas kohanim.

the older children of kohanim stand with their fathers and can bless along with them

I was once at a shul where there was only one kohain and his 5 year old son, and you heard the son singing along. it was really preciuos to hear that little voice singing along. I am sure those brochos went straight to Hashem's ears.

miriam

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 6:51 pm
Yup, Rochel Leah, that's what I meant, thanks.

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 7:09 pm
I understood the question and still don't get it. If the kohanim's babies are in shul, aren't they with their mother? Confused

gryp

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 7:26 pm
usually the babies and children go under their fathers' talis. so I guess the kohanim's babies would have to stay with their mothers. I never thought about it before but its interesting.

stem

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 8:21 pm
the Kohen father cannot hold his baby while he's doing Bircas Kohanim!! His hands are raised and holding up his Tallis. My father is a Kohen, and when I was little, he let me and my brother go under the Tallis with him. There is no way he would have been able to do Bircas Kohanim while holding a baby.

miriam

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 9:03 pm
Got it. Thanks.

Motek

Post Thu, May 25 2006, 6:36 pm
one year later ...

Tefila

Post Thu, May 25 2006, 7:46 pm
Quote:
one year later ...

Yep can u believe how time flys 8)

Motek