Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Monsey Cheder - Vien, Munkatch or Imrei Shefer
  Previous  1  2  3   9  10  11  Next

mandr

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 1:15 pm
I have nephews in Vien and both parents and children are very happy. Of course there are small issues with the place but everyone will face something when sending a child to school. It's becoming more Chassidish then it was. Older nephews wear peyos behind ears but younger nephews wear it curled in front. Times are changing. I know the people who run the school and I'd definitely send my son there iyh assuming it's not hugely different in 3 years!

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 2:58 pm
Maya...

Please pm me
Sorry for putting you on the spot in public..😔

blad

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 5:04 pm
My 2 boys are in imrei shufer, here is my experience;
My kids my DH and myself are very happy, the Melamdim are top notch Mechanchim, the Menahel is a well-known top rated mechanech, the English dep. Is very serious, some parents even feel the English level is too high.

There is a cap of 18 students per class, My sons Melamed told me that in most mosdos in Monsey it’s about 30 students per class. In the best case scenario it’s a good babysitting service there can’t be real education, the student cannot get the personal care from his teacher that he deserves.

No one to talk to? We have the total opposite experience, every comment , complaint is valued, appreciated, taken into consideration, I have never experienced anything like this that level of care from the Menahel, Rabbi Melber or from anybody in school, even the company I’m working for could learn from them in this area. I do not know the issues with the old Menahel, but he has since moved to Israel so I guess the old complaints are not relevant anymore.

Parent body; serious Balebatish. The Mossed is definitely for out of box thinking people, it’s not business as usual, for example; in the younger grades in the English dep. you have female teachers, in the older grades for the most part are teachers who don’t understand Yiddish. In the same time it is not a place for “shtik” not chassidishe shtik, like how many parts a Kappel should/ shouldn’t have, and not a place for anti-chasidish shtik its very much education driven.

To summarize: we are very happy and proud to be a part of imrei shefer

Last edited by blad on Thu, Oct 15 2015, 11:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 5:49 pm
Thanks for your detailed account. I appreciate it.

blad wrote:

Parent body; serious Balebatish.

What does serious balebatish mean? My husband works, but I wouldn't consider ourselves balebatish - I think of balebatish as well-off. I may be wrong. This just made me think that if most parents are businessmen, they'll expect top dollar from us

Quote:

In the same time it is not a place for “shtik” not chassidishe shtik, like how many parts a Kappel should/ shouldn’t have, and not a place for anti-chasidish shtik

I'm also not sure what you mean by all this. In simple words, are you saying that they are more lenient than all the mainstream chedarim? That they don't have all those fanatic rules?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 8:10 pm
I don't know you...but just by looking at the three options that you are considering, I am suggesting that you also look into Ateres Tzvi.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 8:38 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know you...but just by looking at the three options that you are considering, I am suggesting that you also look into Ateres Tzvi.

I've heard that Ateres Tzvi is bummy/ex-chassidish, or whatever you want to call it. I'm not that. I'm just sick of the hypocrisy I've seen in mainstream chassidish schools

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:42 pm
amother wrote:
I've heard that Ateres Tzvi is bummy/ex-chassidish, or whatever you want to call it. I'm not that. I'm just sick of the hypocrisy I've seen in mainstream chassidish schools

First, I don't think you should make a public statement like that. I'm sure that there are parents of this school on these threads, and you may very well offend them.
You seem to be between a rock and a hard place. You obviously don't like the system in the chassidish schools, but you seem to sort of want to stay there.
I think its worth noting that there are schools/yeshivas in Monsey that are moving more toward chassidish than they used to years ago. I believe that Bais Dovid is one of them. So ask about recent experiences. The same may hold true from a different angle. Certain schools that did not have the best reputation a few years ago, may very well have improved.
I wish you the best of success on this hard journey.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:47 pm
amother wrote:
First, I don't think you should make a public statement like that. I'm sure that there are parents of this school on these threads, and you may very well offend them.
You seem to be between a rock and a hard place. You obviously don't like the system in the chassidish schools, but you seem to sort of want to stay there.
I think its worth noting that there are schools/yeshivas in Monsey that are moving more toward chassidish than they used to years ago. I believe that Bais Dovid is one of them. So ask about recent experiences. The same may hold true from a different angle. Certain schools that did not have the best reputation a few years ago, may very well have improved.
I wish you the best of success on this hard journey.

Bais Dovid has always had chassidish children in the cheder. That cheder is nothing like the three listed here. It's a totally different vibe. It's really mixed: chassidish & not, but it's a way different style than vein or munkacz

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:50 pm
Maya wrote :

"They're moving towards the right, as is the case woth most other schools, too"

What do you mean by "most other schools"? It's pathetic munkatch is moving to the right, so is Vien, Now they hired a Menahel that was never a Melamed nor a Menahel in a Cheder, the Melamdim feel shaky, many parents feel, here comes a guy to learn how to be a Menahel on the expense of our kids. My friend told me that she is not sure what's going to end up with "Vien Cheder " that she is used to, its moving to the right of many families who send there

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 9:56 pm
amother wrote:
Bais Dovid has always had chassidish children in the cheder. That cheder is nothing like the three listed here. It's a totally different vibe. It's really mixed: chassidish & not, but it's a way different style than vein or munkacz

I don't know Vien or Munkacz. (Isnt Mukacz a very young cheder?) And I was not trying to compare them to anything. I just said that some schools/yeshivas change over time, and what you know about them from before, may not hold true now. I thought that maybe if OP had recent information about Bais Dovid, she would consider that as well. I am not even commenting whether it would be right for her or not, as I don't know her.
I'm just curious.... not to hijack this thread.....but does anyone feel that Bais Dovid has changed over the last 5....10....years?

Maya

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 10:07 pm
amother wrote:
Maya wrote :

"They're moving towards the right, as is the case woth most other schools, too"

What do you mean by "most other schools"? It's pathetic munkatch is moving to the right, so is Vien, they fired there old Menahel Rabbi Rottenberg because he didn't go Chanukah to viener Rebbi etc. Now they hired a Menahel with 0 experience with kids, was never a Melamed nor a Menahel in a Cheder, the Melamdim feel shaky, many parents feel, here comes a guy to learn how to be a Menahel on the expense of our kids. My friend told me that she is not sure what's going to end up with "Vien Cheder " that she is used to, its moving to the right of many families who send there

All the schools now are much "frummer" than they were in the past. Satmar now is not how it was when I was there fifteen years ago. There's a trend of everyone trying to "outfrum" each other in order to maintain or acquire a reputation as elite.

proudmother1

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 11:05 pm
Maya wrote:
All the schools now are much "frummer" than they were in the past. Satmar now is not how it was when I was there fifteen years ago. There's a trend of everyone trying to "outfrum" each other in order to maintain or acquire a reputation as elite.

Interesting, by what I am reading here, it brings about the opposite reaction.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 12:14 am
amother wrote:

I apologize in case I said it wrong. It's only what I've heard. And of course not everyone there is like that. But I don't want the attitude I was described it has.
Again, I'm sorry.

Quote:
You obviously don't like the system in the chassidish schools, but you seem to sort of want to stay there.

Honestly, I don't. I feel that the attitude and focus of today's chassidish schools are not what real Chassidus was meant to be. Do I want to stay here? Perhaps not. I have thought about sending to a non-chassidish place. But it doesn't necessarily help matters. We won't fit in with the school and we'll be "Chassidic runaways" to our family...

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 12:16 am
amother wrote:
I thought that maybe if OP had recent information about Bais Dovid, she would consider that as well. ....but does anyone feel that Bais Dovid has changed over the last 5....10....years?

I have seriously considered Bais Dovid until I heard that they also became "frummer than before"...

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 12:19 am
Maya wrote:
There's a trend of everyone trying to "outfrum" each other in order to maintain or acquire a reputation as elite.

THIS! This is what I mean.

(OP)

blad

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 12:43 am
What does serious balebatish mean?
Quote:

Imrei Shefer is for people who are serious about education, not for runaways. I don't want to offend anyone but for example in Munkatch a nice percent of fathers cut / trim their beards, not that there is anything wrong with it, but they are in Munkatch because Dovid, Vien and other mainstream schools would not accept them. In Imrei Shefer, I don't think they have a policy against cutting the beard, it's just for higher class balebatim, they are more stable business people. Just an observation, I hope nobody got offended. Rolling Eyes

I'm also not sure what you mean by all this. In simple words, are you saying that they are more lenient than all the mainstream chedarim? That they don't have all those fanatic rules?

That is correct. They will not have rules just to out-frum the other mosdos. It's very business-like, whether it makes sense or not, regardless of what other mosdos do. They don't have a booklet of rules, it's just common sense.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 12:48 am
blad wrote:

That is correct. They will not have rules just to out-frum the other mosdos. It's very business-like, whether it makes sense or not, regardless of what other mosdos do. They don't have a booklet of rules, it's just common sense.

Thanks for the clarification

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
Honestly, I don't. I feel that the attitude and focus of today's chassidish schools are not what real Chassidus was meant to be. Do I want to stay here? Perhaps not. I have thought about sending to a non-chassidish place. But it doesn't necessarily help matters. We won't fit in with the school and we'll be "Chassidic runaways" to our family...

I understand. It seems that you are frustrated with not only the school system, but a broader spectrum of things in general.
But you are trapped. Because you don't want to be viewed as "Chassidic runaways" (and you don't even want to place your kids in a school that has a reputation for that sort of parent body.) Yet you really do want to run away. I'm not blaming at all, just observing, and trying to give you some clarity.
In my humble opinion, this issue will not go away all by itself. And this juncture, of placing your kids properly is just one hiccup in your life's choices. Please find yourself before you decide where to place your children. I don't know how old they are, but if you want to make some life changes, it only gets harder when they are older.
I suggest that you find a Rav that you can trust, as hard as that may be, and together with your husband, figure out what you hate about the place that you are in, and where you want to be realistically. Just keep in mind that you will not find perfection anywhere.
When you know where you stand, the decision of where to place your kids will be easier.

mandr

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 10:44 am
Newsflash: Many, if not all, schools are moving more towards the right. In Monsey girls' schools alone, look at YSV, Ashar, Ateret, Bais Rochel - these are all becoming frummer than they used to be. That's how it is these days.

I agree with PP. You don't want to send your kids to a "bummy" school, yet you don't want the chassidish rules.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 10:50 am
amother wrote:
I have seriously considered Bais Dovid until I heard that they also became "frummer than before"...

In my opinion; Bais Dovid is another mainstream cheder with all the problems, no real curriculum and the English teaching is as in any other chasidishe cheder, what a shame so many parents are not sticking up for there kids education
Page 2 of 11   Previous  1  2  3   9  10  11  Next Recent Topics