Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why don't you vaccinate? (no bashing)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

anon for this

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 3:42 pm
Barbara wrote:
Time for another ... spurious correlation!

Of course, it is entirely possible that people actually drowned themselves rather than be subjected to another Nic Cage film. Not likely, though.

Actually, if you'd read the study carefully or just see my previous post, it's more like blaming impacted wisdom teeth on visiting the dentist. After all, people who visit the dentist are sometimes found to have impacted wisdom teeth, while people who don't visit the dentist rarely are diagnosed with impacted wisdom teeth.

That doesn't mean I'm ready to let Nic Cage off though.

Barbara

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 3:53 pm
anon for this wrote:
Actually, if you'd read the study carefully or just see my previous post, it's more like blaming impacted wisdom teeth on visiting the dentist. After all, people who visit the dentist are sometimes found to have impacted wisdom teeth, while people who don't visit the dentist rarely are diagnosed with impacted wisdom teeth.

That doesn't mean I'm ready to let Nic Cage off though.

Apologies. I was inappropriately mean and snarky.

Last edited by Barbara on Mon, Feb 02 2015, 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

anon for this

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 3:57 pm
Barbara, I'm sorry if I insulted you. Looking back I see that my post probably seemed condescending, and I didn't intend that.

I've never posted under any other screenname, except sometimes as amother.

Last edited by anon for this on Mon, Feb 02 2015, 4:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

Barbara

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 4:00 pm
For insight into the minds of anti-vaxers:

Quote:
A local cardiologist who doesn’t believe in childhoods vaccinations told CNN it’s not his problem if other kids get sick because his own children are not vaccinated, saying, “My child is pure.”

The cardiologist, Dr. Jack Wolfson, was responding to worries from an Arizona couple after their 10-month-old baby and 3-year-old daughter, who is suffering from leukemia, were exposed to measles at a health clinic.

Dr. Tim Jacks, an Arizona pediatrician, wrote a blog post chastising parents whose are not vaccinating their children after his two children were exposed to measles by a woman who reportedly picked up the disease while visiting Disneyland. Adding to Jacks’ concern is his 3-year-old daughter, Maggie, who suffers from leukemia and whose immune system is compromised due to chemotherapy, making her vulnerable to the disease which can lead to death.

Jacks wrote, “I assume you love your child just like I love mine. I assume that you are trying to make good choices regarding their care. Please realize that your child does not live in a bubble. When your child gets sick, other children are exposed. My children. Why would you knowingly expose anyone to your sick unvaccinated child after recently visiting Disneyland? That was a bone-headed move.’

He went on to say the family had to cancel a trip in order to monitor the children for measles as well as protect against any other infections, writing, “Thanks for making us cancel our trip to the snow this year. Maggie really wanted to see snow, but we will not risk exposing anyone else. On that note, thanks for exposing 195 children to an illness considered ‘eliminated’ from the U.S. Your poor choices don’t just affect your child. They affect my family and many more like us.”

Responding to Jacks’ post, Arizona cardiologist Wolfson said the familiy’s health issues are theirs, and he shouldn’t have to keep his unvaccinated children away from other kids.

Wolfson, who refuses to vaccinate his two young sons, said, “It’s not my responsibility to inject my child with chemicals in order for [a child like Maggie] to be supposedly healthy. As far as I’m concerned, it’s very likely that her leukemia is from vaccinations in the first place.”

“I’m not going to sacrifice the well-being of my child. My child is pure,” he added. “It’s not my responsibility to be protecting their child.”

Asked if he could live with the idea that his unvaccinated child could cause another child to become gravely ill, the cardiologist was dismissive.

“I could live with myself easily. It’s an unfortunate thing that people die, but people die. I’m not going to put my child at risk to save another child,” he said,before adding, “If a child is so vulnerable like that, they shouldn’t be going out into society.”

According to the Jacks, neither child has so far come down with the measles, but that they are still watching.

Emphasis added.

So yet another noble anti-vaxer who believes that even if his unvaccinatd kids have been exposed to measles, they shouldn't stay home. And if it kills an child whose immune system is compromised, well, "it's an unfortunate thing that people die, but people die."

Tell me again about those wonderful non-vaxers who keep their kids home.

Barbara

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 4:01 pm
anon for this wrote:
Barbara, I'm sorry if I insulted you. Looking back I see that my post probably seemed condescending, and I didn't intend that.

I've never posted under any other screenname.

I changed my comments to an apology. And I am sorry.

anon for this

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 4:04 pm
Barbara wrote:
I changed my comments to an apology. And I am sorry.

Thank you! Would you like me to edit too?

Barbara

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 4:05 pm
anon for this wrote:
Thank you! Would you like me to edit too?

Up to you. I'm the one who was wrong. I have no problem with your leaving your comments pointing that out.

mille

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 4:18 pm
Think1st wrote:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1448377/

Results. We found an association between vaccination and the development of allergic disease; however, this association was present only among children with the fewest physician visits and can be explained by this factor.

Conclusions. Our data suggest that currently recommended routine vaccinations are not a risk factor for asthma or eczema.

So we found an association, but not a risk factor Confused

You are certainly helping prove my point that plenty of 'research' done by anti-vaxers is simply reading abstracts (and not reading the full study) and misunderstanding what the study actually says.

Maya

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 4:26 pm
http://www.newyorker.com/carto.....atest

New Yorker's daily cartoon, very pertinent to all these vaccination discussions.

rachel91

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 5:31 pm
Just a question: if it is really as dangerous, to have unvaccinated people around, why doesn't the US government make a requirement on some vaccinations?
We have one vaccine in Belgium, that is required and most others are given routinely, I never even thought about not vaccinating.

moonbeam

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 6:16 pm
Maya wrote:
http://www.newyorker.com/cartoons/daily-cartoon/daily-cartoon-monday-february-2nd-measles-disneyland?intcid=mod-latest

New Yorker's daily cartoon, very pertinent to all these vaccination discussions.

So much for "no bashing".

southernbubby

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 6:19 pm
eemachana wrote:
So much for "no bashing".

I really laughed at Maya's cartoon. We need to lighten up a little. Laughter is good for you.

moonbeam

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 6:25 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I really laughed at Maya's cartoon. We need to lighten up a little. Laughter is good for you.

I'm sorry, but I don't find people being called idiots amusing.

If we're going to call that funny, let's be fair here and call provaxers idiots too. Who's laughing?

sequoia

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 6:27 pm
rachel91 wrote:
Just a question: if it is really as dangerous, to have unvaccinated people around, why doesn't the US government make a requirement on some vaccinations?
We have one vaccine in Belgium, that is required and most others are given routinely, I never even thought about not vaccinating.

Because the US, unlike Europe, is built on strong libertarian ideals.

Which becomes a problem when morons start making decisions that harm others.

moonbeam

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 6:29 pm
And for the record, no, I do not think that provaxers are idiots, and no, I don't think antivaxers are idiots.
And I don't appeciate the word "idiot" being used here on imamother to describe fellow Jews.

We don't need to lighten up, we need to be nice.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 6:38 pm
eemachana wrote:
I'm sorry, but I don't find people being called idiots amusing.

If we're going to call that funny, let's be fair here and call provaxers idiots too. Who's laughing?

I think that lots of people are laughing. I checked Facebook and it is on there. An anti-vaxer posted an article about how vaccinations caused the measles outbreak. This cartoon was in the New Yorker Magazine so most likely, it caused lots of laughter. The "funny" thing, and I am not sure how realistic it is, is that here are the parents who didn't vaccinate seeking the care of a mainstream doctor who does vaccinate his patients. From what I gather from those on this site who don't vaccinate, those doctors are not likely to be consulted unless there is a real emergency.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics