Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you feed them candy for breakfast?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

shayna82

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 8:27 pm
for during the week it is ONLY kix, cherrios, multi grain cherrios, corn chex or rice chex. those are the healthiest sugar wise and whole wheat wise.

shabbos, the kids look forward to a bowl of shabbos cereal... which is either peanut butter balls which is indeed loaded with sugar, or once in a while trix or fruity/cocoa pebbles. they dont bother me after shabbos about having it again, friday I remind them that tommlorow they can wake up to a nice bowl of shabbos cereal... the system works. im happy with it.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 8:35 pm
When ds is older and can appreciate it, I also want to do the shabbos cereal treat. My neighbors did it growing up and it was really nice. In my house, we didn't have anything but granola or cereal for healthfood store. Feh!

Tefila

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 8:43 pm
Quote:
When ds is older and can appreciate it, I also want to do the shabbos cereal treat.

Thats what we do for shabbos and yom tov only though Wink

justanothermother

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 8:55 pm
We have cut up fruits and yogurt, Cottage cheese in a cantalope, oats and nuts in milk, or sometime Rice Krispies or Cheerios. On Sundays we have whole wheat pancakes, Shabbos we have Shabbos cereal. We make sure they eat 1-2 servings of fruit with every meal.

(Cheerios came out with fruity Cheerios which I replaced the kids fruit loops with. Much less sugar, made with real fruit juice, and the kids didn't notice the switch. I wouldn't call it healty, but at least it is not toxic.)

sarahd

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 6:16 am
I offer cornflakes with raisins, Rice Krispies, regular Cheerios with a few honey-nut thrown in or farina (which I don't think is so great nutritionally speaking, since it's refined wheat, but it does get a whole cup of milk down my son's throat, plus butter.) Yogurt is an alternate, as well as French toast on Sundays. I never serve a whole bowl of junk cereal. Shabbos, ds has cholent for breakfast. shock

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 6:24 am
you think that's bad? we sometimes have cholent for melave malka...

HooRYou

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 6:25 am
sarahd wrote:
Shabbos, ds has cholent for breakfast. shock

Ahhh, a yeshiva bochur already! LOL

suomynona

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 6:33 am
does anyone know if multi-grain cheerios are more unhealthy than regular? They're definitely sweeter.

BinahYeteirah

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 6:34 am
We don't buy cereals with ANY added sugar. That includes Cheerios, etc. I actually think of cereal like that as pretty junky, although they may be better than other choices. The cereals we do eat include plain puffed grains (the only ingredient is "whole wheat kernels", "millet", or "corn"), different varieties of unsweetened muesli (granola, sometimes there is some sweetener on the fried fruit in it, depending on variety, but it is not the type of muesli that has all the oats, etc. covered in sweetener), and hot oatmeal. We also eat lots of fruit, fried or hardboiled eggs, whole-wheat pancakes, toast, and homemade muffins made with fruit as the only sweet ingredient.

suomynona

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 6:43 am
BinahY, can you post the recipes for whole wheat pancakes and muffins?

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 8:56 am
binah - it is hard to believe anything you say with those donuts looking at me!!!

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 9:00 am
Esther01 wrote:
anyone still give their kids bread, eggs, and veggies, or am I the only one ?

you are definately not the only one ... my kids get eggs & bread 5 days a week for sure ... on sundays I make french toast or pancakes as well ... and then may have eggs for lunch ... occassionally oatmeal ... but we are all much hungrier the whole day if we don't make the eggs ... it makes a real dif in everything ... cereal is a snack food ... we are trying to modify our coffee addiction though

gryp

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 9:05 am
Quote:
I offer cornflakes with raisins, Rice Krispies, regular Cheerios

that's my house too.

I'll admit right-off that I'm not as concerned about the sugar in these three cereals, because my kids don't get sugary treats very often at all.

Never ever would I buy the real sugar cereals, I don't understand people who do and consider it breakfast.

Maybe one day I'll be organized enough to make oatmeal, toast, and eggs.

Ima'la

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 9:40 am
Hate to be a party-pooper, but isn't our low-in-sugar Cheerios loaded with SALT? As my friend, the nutritionist, says, "Choose your poison."

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 9:45 am
sarahd wrote:
I offer cornflakes with raisins, Rice Krispies, regular Cheerios with a few honey-nut thrown in or farina (which I don't think is so great nutritionally speaking, since it's refined wheat, but it does get a whole cup of milk down my son's throat, plus butter.) Yogurt is an alternate, as well as French toast on Sundays. I never serve a whole bowl of junk cereal. Shabbos, ds has cholent for breakfast. shock
What can I say? I've gotten worse over the years. It was oatmeal with bananas when my oldest was a toddler, and like you sarahd, it was cholent for breakfast on Shabbos.

As the kids were heading out to school, and a nursing baby added more chaos to the morning rush, we downgraded to cold cereals, mostly toasty O's. Now, I'll shmear some cream cheese on a rice cake, which they can take along if they're running out, and running late, and it's a good stand in when we're out of milk.

JRKmommy

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 9:50 am
Here's a healthy pancake recipe, which is our Sunday breakfast

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp baking powder

Put all ingredients in a blender for 5 minutes. Fry up pancakes in a bit of canola oil. Makes 4 8-inch pancakes.

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 9:54 am
BinahYeteirah wrote:
We don't buy cereals with ANY added sugar. That includes Cheerios, etc. I actually think of cereal like that as pretty junky, although they may be better than other choices. The cereals we do eat include plain puffed grains (the only ingredient is "whole wheat kernels", "millet", or "corn"), different varieties of unsweetened muesli (granola, sometimes there is some sweetener on the fried fruit in it, depending on variety, but it is not the type of muesli that has all the oats, etc. covered in sweetener), and hot oatmeal. We also eat lots of fruit, fried or hardboiled eggs, whole-wheat pancakes, toast, and homemade muffins made with fruit as the only sweet ingredient.

Ditto on the unsweetened cereals. We get big bags of them and just add honey or maple syrup to sweeten as needed (hard to sell it to DD without some sort of sweetness....). Puffed kamut cereal is one of our favorites.

BY, how do you make muffins w/o added sugar? Do you use juice concentrate or anything like that?

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:08 am
This is a great pancake recipe I found of allrecipes.com, I posted it a while back in another thread.

Whole-grain Nut Pancakes

INGREDIENTS

* 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
* 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
* 1 cup milk
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 1 egg
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. Grind the oats in a blender or food processor until fine. In a large bowl, combine ground oats, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
2. In another bowl, combine buttermilk, milk, oil, egg, and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Mix wet ingredients into dry with a few swift strokes. Stir in nuts, if desired.
3. Lightly oil a skillet or griddle, and preheat it to medium heat. Ladle 1/3 cup of the batter onto the hot skillet; cook the pancakes for 2 to 4 minutes per side, or until brown.

You can substitute honey, maple syrup or molasses for the sugar.

Instead of buttermilk, which is hard to find cholov yisrael, I think you can add a drop of vinegar to a cup of milk and let it sit for a few minutes.

This is a great-tasting pancake!! It takes a little longer to prepare cuz you have to blend the oats, but it's worth it. To save time, once in a while I blend a large quantity of oatmeal and keep it in the freezer to make pancakes and muffins with. Exclamation

Helani

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:42 am
MommyLuv wrote:
This is a great pancake recipe I found of allrecipes.com, I posted it a while back in another thread.

Whole-grain Nut Pancakes

INGREDIENTS

* 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
* 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
* 1 cup milk
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 1 egg
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. Grind the oats in a blender or food processor until fine. In a large bowl, combine ground oats, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
2. In another bowl, combine buttermilk, milk, oil, egg, and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Mix wet ingredients into dry with a few swift strokes. Stir in nuts, if desired.
3. Lightly oil a skillet or griddle, and preheat it to medium heat. Ladle 1/3 cup of the batter onto the hot skillet; cook the pancakes for 2 to 4 minutes per side, or until brown.

You can substitute honey, maple syrup or molasses for the sugar.

Instead of buttermilk, which is hard to find cholov yisrael, I think you can add a drop of vinegar to a cup of milk and let it sit for a few minutes.

This is a great-tasting pancake!! It takes a little longer to prepare cuz you have to blend the oats, but it's worth it. To save time, once in a while I blend a large quantity of oatmeal and keep it in the freezer to make pancakes and muffins with. Exclamation

you ccan buy oat fflour to save time

cheerios

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 11:08 am
Quote:
Rainsin Bran is so high in sugar

partly due to the fact that they are coated in sugar. I make my own raisin bran by combining raisins with bran flakes. It's sweet enough that way.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics