Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you feed them candy for breakfast?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 11:09 am
Just because a cereal has a long list of vitamins that it is fortified with does not mean it is all absorbed by the body. In fact I would venture to say most of it isn't. Long vitamin lists are totally useless.

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 11:40 am
thanks for the tip Helani. Smile

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 11:47 am
Motek, straight out of Mishpachas Family First? Wink

Oy, that article made me feel really guilty. Yes, sometimes I also have to beg a child to at least drink a cup of orange juice before running out of the house! Theres no time to wash, and the only cereals they do like are the honey nut cheerios or honeycomb. I guess they (or a danish) are better than nothing. Or maybe not? Confused Sometimes they'll grab 2 rice cakes- is that better? it doesn't have the sugar, but also not vitamin fortified.
I do try to make their other meals very healthy.

Motek

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 3:12 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Motek, straight out of Mishpachas Family First?

definitely the inspiration though I read the line about cereal being candy if the first two ingredients are sugar, long ago (and that includes Rice Krispies and Corn Flakes, if I'm not mistaken)

sarahd

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 3:40 pm
So I ran downstairs now to check the labels on the cereal and you're right, Motek. The second ingredient on both corn flakes and Rice Krispies is sugar. The corn flakes manufacturer did feel the need to write that corn is 92% of the flake, so the sugar, salt, malt extract and other stuff are only 8% altogether...Does that make it better? Maybe a granola bar instead of a candy bar? LOL

Motek

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 4:23 pm
most granola bars are frauds too, making you think they're healthy but full of sugar, check the ingredients ...

shoy18

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 4:26 pm
Motek wrote:
most granola bars are frauds too, making you think they're healthy but full of sugar, check the ingredients ...

thats right I checked today and granola bars have high fructose corn syrup! so do bread sticks shockingly enough

sarahd

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 4:28 pm
Motek wrote:

I know, that's why I brought it as an example instead of, say, an apple or a rice cake.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 9:29 pm
Motek wrote:

true, and they don't even taste good.. lol

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 9:40 pm
I keep them in the house but don't delude myself. they're no better than cake and maybe even worse.

amother

Post Sat, Jun 09 2007, 11:04 pm
I grew up eating whatever kind of cereal I wanted, and nothing bad has happened yet! there is nothing wrong with being healthy, but you dont have to drive yourself crazy. A bowl of cocoa puffs with milk is MUCH bettter than a candy bar. Most cereals now are made with whole grains, milk is great for you, and who says the vitamins don't get absorbed? Is that medical information?

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jun 09 2007, 11:15 pm
^^^agree

amother

Post Sat, Jun 09 2007, 11:29 pm
We use Barbara's cereals, which have sweeteners like molasses. We eat them mostly as snacks, though. We like wholegrain pancakes and waffles, but we do use sweeteners with them such as maple syrup and/or honey.

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi.....81896

Trader Joes sells them for about 3.29.

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 3:18 pm
amother wrote:
there is nothing wrong with being healthy, but you dont have to drive yourself crazy.

Why do you call buying healthy cereals "driving yourself crazy"?

Quote:
A bowl of cocoa puffs with milk is MUCH bettter than a candy bar.

Okay, change that to "it's like having a candy bar and a cup of milk."

Quote:
Most cereals now are made with whole grains

No, they're not. Go read the boxes.

What do you have against feeding children healthy cereal? Why foist your bad habits on innocent kids?

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 3:23 pm
General MillsĀ® Cocoa Puffs Cereal(bowl)
F25-2509209-5100
General MillsĀ®

7/8 oz bowl Frosted corn puffs. With 8 essential vitamins and minerals.

Ingredients: sugar, corn meal, cocoa, canola and/or rice bran oil, corn syrup, corn starch, modified corn starch, cocoa processed with alkali, salt, calcium carbonate, fructose, beet powder and caramel color, trisodium phosphate, artificial flavor, zinc and iron (mineral nutrients), vitamin C (sodium ascorbate), a B vitamin (niacinamide), vitamin B6 ( pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamin mononitrate), a B vitamin (folic acid), vitamin B12, wheat starch. Freshness preserved by BHT.

no whole grains in this

lots of sugar, first ingredient (which means there's more sugar than anything else) and later on

artificial flavor and preservatives too

I bet some candy bars are much healthier than this!

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 3:28 pm
OK Motek, did you read this weeks Mishpacha family first? What do you say to the article titled 'Second Opinion'? I dont know if that article was supposed to be serious or not, but was 'Henny' really off the wall?

Quote:

cause if your kids wont eat them...

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 3:38 pm
Motek, you have a pet project. Very nice; I hope you enjoy it. But not everyone is interested in joining up with you.

MommyLuv

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 3:38 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
OK Motek, did you read this weeks Mishpacha family first? What do you say to the article titled 'Second Opinion'? I dont know if that article was supposed to be serious or not, but was 'Henny' really off the wall?

Quote:

cause if your kids wont eat them...

if you don't buy junk, they won't eat junk and will eventually be hungry enough to try something else.
There are plenty of sweet-tasting, healthier cereals that kids would love, minus all the stuff they don't need, like excess sugars and colorings.

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 4:16 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
OK Motek, did you read this weeks Mishpacha family first?

not yet

as for kids not eating them, Mommyluv has it right

choc - your post is not appreciated, it's not a project, it's not pet, no one has to join

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 6:27 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Motek, you have a pet project. Very nice; I hope you enjoy it. But not everyone is interested in joining up with you.

huh? Confused
whats with the attitude?
I think this thread is food for thought...regardless of whether I'm going to go sort through my cereal or not.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics