Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Patronizing Jewish Stores
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Tefila

Post Mon, Dec 11 2006, 4:45 pm
Quote:
For the majority of people, bargain-hunting has become a way of life. Rather than patronize Jewish merchants and businesses, they run around to outlets and shops in search of bargains

Yep I'm guilty too Confused
and
Sarahd Thanks Smile

Debbie

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 9:06 am
I had the upsetting experience a short while ago of being publically humiliated by a shopkeeper,I decided against reporting the situation to a Rav but I don't want to go back in that shop again.
Fortunately there is another Jewish store where I can the same type of products.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 9:47 am
Motek wrote:
I read the following:

Quote:
For the majority of people, bargain-hunting has become a way of life. Rather than patronize Jewish merchants and businesses, they run around to outlets and shops in search of bargains. If and when they do end up shopping in a Jewish establishment, they will often haggle over prices. In other instances, they will try to bypass the retailer altogether and go to factories and wholesale places.

agree? disagree? what do you think about it?

I barely shop at Jewish stores. The mark-up they put on their prices is tanamount to stealing.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 10:08 am
Motek wrote:
I wonder how the department stores handle all the bum checks. I remember being in a Jewish-owned store once and they had bad checks hanging on the wall (I don't remember now, maybe it was to illustrate why they no longer accept personal checks!)

When I worked at Sears, we had a system called ScanTron, where you'd scan the check, and could see immediately if the check would bounce or not.

Before we had that system, we had to call Asset Protection EVERY SINGLE TIME a check's monetary value was over $200, if the information on the check didn't match the license given to us, or if it was a low check number and Asset Protection would contact the bank and see if the patron's check was good.

When I first started working at Sears, I forgot to follow procedure and a check bounced - I got yelled at by Asset Protection.

Large department stores have very strict procedures about accepting checks.

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 10:21 am
We had a shiur on it here in the yishuv. When it comes to building your home the cost difference can be quite significant.

The rav of our yishuv said this:

There are 2 types of nonJews. Stam [gentile] and non jews who are at war or want to destroy Am Israel.

Most of your (US) nonJews fall under the 1st category, most of ours under the second.

halachically one should try to buy from Jews always.

We can buy from stam non jews if they are 1/3 or more cheaper, otherwise one should buy from a Jew. He did not discuss return policy and such because the question for the yishuv was allowing people to use arabs to build or add on to their homes.

Under no circumstances may one patronize or aid those in the second category.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 10:28 am
You can't blame a Jewish store for their return policy, they're not Macy's you know!

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 11:04 am
Motek wrote:
I read the following:

Quote:
For the majority of people, bargain-hunting has become a way of life. Rather than patronize Jewish merchants and businesses, they run around to outlets and shops in search of bargains. If and when they do end up shopping in a Jewish establishment, they will often haggle over prices. In other instances, they will try to bypass the retailer altogether and go to factories and wholesale places.

agree? disagree? what do you think about it?

I never davka go to a jewish owned store. I go where the prices are cheaper. where I grew up there was a great kosher supermarket, but rarley did my parents ever shop there b/c it was crazy expensive.

brooklyn

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 11:28 am
lucky wrote:
BTW there are goishe stores that also offer only credit. (burlington)

Burlington actually gives you refunds now.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 11:28 am
You can find things in the Jewish stores that you sometimes cant find any where else. Those things I buy. For example when my dd needed a long sleeved shell. In women's clothing you are paying for the legwork. It's a convinience to go in & everything has sleeves,a front ,a back...But, when she looks for a suit or something, it may take longer but we usually find similar quality for a lower price, elsewhere.I also work hard & can't afford to pay more for the same product.

mumoo

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 8:52 pm
Yael wrote:
correct me if I'm wrong but I once heard that if you can buy something for cheaper somewhere else and you purposely buy it from the jew just in order to give him parnassa, you can take the extra you spent and count it as maaser.

according to dh, this is correct, provided that when you set up your maaser 'account' you have that in mind

withhumor

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 8:59 pm
I buy food at the Jewish store and I buy kipot and tzitzis in Israel once a year (via a shliach) because it’s a fraction of the price. Everything is bought by bargain hunting anywhere where I can go when I like and return when I like in whatever condition I like. It’s my money, I’d hate to be paying everyone’s mortgage with it, I need it for my own! (iy”H)

MrsLeo

Post Fri, Sep 07 2007, 6:21 pm
Is it better to support the Jewish store owners and buy your groceries there or save money and buy your groceries in a chain store like ShopRite and PathMark?
We go thru ices like water in my house and if we buy them in PathMark we save about $3 a box!! In the grocery a box of 12 is $5 and in PathMark it's $1 or $2 a box.

(threads merged)

creativemommyto3

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 2:45 pm
Maybe you could buy a little bit by the Jewish one, let's say for chicken, meat and fish. I don't think you have to support the jewish store owners if their prices are tremendously higher. I see that you live in Brooklyn, it's expensive enough to pay rent etc. You can't go broke just to support someone else. do what you can.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 5:00 pm
There are halachos on this - how much more you should pay to buy by someone frum. Once it passes the limit you can buy anywhere. Sorry, I don't remember the %. Ask your LOR.

creativemommyto3

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 5:46 pm
I used to live in Brooklyn and I always knew that in the Jewish supermarket the prices were a lot higher than in shoprite or pathmark. Some ppl said that the jewish stores would hike up their prices b/c they knew that many ppl were on foodstamps and wic so the ppl weren't actually paying, the govt was. I don't like that logic at all b/c the ppl like me who weren't on these things had to pay a lot of money for them overcharging the govt.

creativemommyto3

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 5:48 pm
I just noticed that you live in boro park. why don't you just shop in the kollel store ?? They have very good prices on mostly everything. It's stores like landaus and freidmans that are a bit steep. I don't remember about Goldbergs though. I think they were somewhat reasonably priced, but not for e/t.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 8:31 pm
Some things are better priced in the Jewish stores. Foil pans. Tissues. You have to check the prices.

MrsLeo

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 10:00 pm
arita430 wrote:
I just noticed that you live in boro park. why don't you just shop in the kollel store ?? They have very good prices on mostly everything. It's stores like landaus and freidmans that are a bit steep. I don't remember about Goldbergs though. I think they were somewhat reasonably priced, but not for e/t.

we dont have a car and the kollel store is way too far to walk with groceries.

malkie

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 10:06 pm
I am pretty sure the Kollel store has free delivery.

MrsLeo

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 10:40 pm
Is the Kollel store really that much cheaper than other groceries?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics