Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Monsey High Schools for Girls
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 1:16 pm
gold21 wrote:
The information I posted is accurate to the best of my knowledge. To the poster who knows staff in the schools, why do u assume I don't Wink
I also know current students in the schools.
You can nitpick what I wrote, no prob, but I think it's fairly accurate.

Ateres is not modern, I don't like using that term since it's so relative. You can just say it's to the left of a standard yeshivish bais yaakov. I don't consider than to be modern.

Bais yaakov of Monsey is known to be very intense academically. You can argue or disagree with me, but I still think it's harder than BYDRH.

I think it's best to disregard the negative comments about Ateres and BYM on this thread, since in my humble opinion it's not the whole truth.

Anyways.... bye.

I assumed it because you didn't know the name of the school. You admitted that you don't live in Monsey. I think a poster who lives in Monsey and has children in the system might be a better source. The best source might be OP's daughter's principal.

gold21

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 1:34 pm
amother wrote:
I assumed it because you didn't know the name of the school. You admitted that you don't live in Monsey. I think a poster who lives in Monsey and has children in the system might be a better source. The best source might be OP's daughter's principal.

No worries, I'm a good source. Promise. Wink

BYDRH, sorry for calling it Breuers, but anyways I guess some ppl with connections to the Breuers of Washington Hts call it that, I dunno. Whatever. It's not like I made the name up.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 2:34 pm
gold21 wrote:
No worries, I'm a good source. Promise. Wink

BYDRH, sorry for calling it Breuers, but anyways I guess some ppl with connections to the Breuers of Washington Hts call it that, I dunno. Whatever. It's not like I made the name up.

My DD is in the school, everyone I know calls it Breuers. The school says that they have nothing to do with Washington heights.

gold21

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 2:46 pm
amother wrote:
My DD is in the school, everyone I know calls it Breuers. The school says that they have nothing to do with Washington heights.

Well, technically they don't have any connection to Wash Hts.
When the school was started, it was hoped by some that it would become the Monsey branch of Breuers Wash Hts, but that didn't really happen. Its still called Breuers by some, but others are sticklers for the name BYDRH. Go figure that out. Either way, great school, good luck to your daughter Tongue Out

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 2:53 pm
Lita wrote:
To the poster who wrote about ateres girls thatthey yelled like maniacs in the hall now I know youre a troll because ateres has no hallways. Your post is untrue and pure lashon hara. My daughter got accepted to manhattan high and we CHOSE ateres. All her friends are just the sweetest and happiest girls. I love everything about this school.

Ateres is on a beautiful campus. Don't know if it still exists but Camp Regesh used to be there. I remember one year (now I'm totally dating myself to anyone else who was there) BYM went there for the first day of school - back in my day the first day of school would be a fun day, and we went there for swimming and recreation.

Last year I dropped my nieces off at school after a family Bris so saw the place again. It's almost camp-like - a cluster of buildings, like the camp mainhouses - a separate area for the high school and elementary school, and the setting is so pretty and cozy looking. It's like the classrooms are each in their own bunkhouse.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 5:58 pm
I went to BYR years ago and had a great experience.
Academics: I don't remember whether or not the Secular academics were challenging, but I did earn an advanced regents diploma and over 25 (or 30 don't remember) college credits. We also had the opportunity to take CLEPS and I think the AP history and math exams. My background in Limudei Kodesh exceeded that of my peers in seminary.

Social: Socially I had a great time at school and usually loved going. I keep up with a sizable portion of my high school class today. There was always something fun going on, between Rosh Chodesh, Shabbatons, random Kumzitses in the hallway etc... Although there was a focus on academics, girls who weren't academically inclined were still given opportunities to be recognized through extra curricular activities.

I have a relative who is there now, and from my understanding, the school has shifted somewhat to the right in recent years. There isn't the same mix of girls from different backgrounds as there was in the past and they seem to be more selective about who they accept. (I don't know this first hand, but just from what I have heard.) There is still the same warmth and closeness though.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 11:25 pm
OP here.

BYM and BYR are the two schools I am looking for information about. Anyone with personal experience with their daughter or themselves that can be insightful and/or productive please reply.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 4:07 am
I was one of ysv's "problem" girls. My parents switched me to ateres (out of choice not by force) and I was no longer viewed as a problem child for dumb things and I was able to grow and actually move more to the right. Many many girls and their parents choose ateres as a first choice don't make it out to be a school for rejects because it's not.

And for the poster who wrote about ateres campus, they are actually moving next year because regesh sold its land. They will be in a building next year iyH

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 6:32 am
amother wrote:
I was one of ysv's "problem" girls. My parents switched me to ateres (out of choice not by force) and I was no longer viewed as a problem child for dumb things and I was able to grow and actually move more to the right. Many many girls and their parents choose ateres as a first choice don't make it out to be a school for rejects because it's not.

And for the poster who wrote about ateres campus, they are actually moving next year because regesh sold its land. They will be in a building next year iyH

When a child is a discipline issue the doors to the right close. I have never heard of a girl who is a discipline issue at Ateres going to YSV however, I have heard of elementary school girl asked to leave YSV ending up at Atteres. I accurately reported on seven girls on one particular grade. I know of three problem girls in one grade lower. I still maintain the concentration of problem girls makes for difficult classroom discipline.

I think it is great that problem girls and girls to the left and all other girls that go there have a place that accepts them and gives them room to grow. I liked the superior education myself when I was picking an elementary school; however, the price tag and the different tznius standards were a bar to sending there.

anotherima

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 7:43 am
[quote="amother"]OP here.
BYM and BYR are the two schools I am looking for information about. Anyone with personal experience with their daughter or themselves that can be insightful and/or productive please reply.

Do you have specific questions about BYM and BYR? I have sent to both so maybe I can help you.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 8:22 am
amother wrote:
When a child is a discipline issue the doors to the right close. I have never heard of a girl who is a discipline issue at Ateres going to YSV however, I have heard of elementary school girl asked to leave YSV ending up at Atteres. I accurately reported on seven girls on one particular grade. I know of three problem girls in one grade lower. I still maintain the concentration of problem girls makes for difficult classroom discipline.

I think it is great that problem girls and girls to the left and all other girls that go there have a place that accepts them and gives them room to grow. I liked the superior education myself when I was picking an elementary school; however, the price tag and the different tznius standards were a bar to sending there.

for the record I was never asked to leave ysv my parents pulled me out because they were making problems out of nothing.

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 8:59 am
Ateres offers a good education and the resource room was equipped to handle LD problems that other schools couldn't. LD students who are mainstreamed often can't keep up with the class when their tutors aren't present. Unengaged students can be discipline problems

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 9:13 am
amother wrote:
OP here.

As you can see from posts here, they are both good schools with different merits. The question is more what your daughter needs. Where are her friends applying/going? What are her own aspirations for her high school years? What type is she, in terms of Hashkafa? Would she do better in an environment where the staff is very yeshivish (BYM) or more to the middle (BYR)? Does she enjoy that extra academic level (BYM) or is a solid education without pressure what she needs (BYR)?

These are the questions you might want to consider with your daughter as an individual.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Nov 20 2015, 2:21 pm
BYM vs. BYM

Both have very similar hashkafos. The English academics are pretty similar, hebrew academics stronger at BYM (they are known for that).
The best description of BYR I have heard recently was one my daughter heard from a teacher. She said BYR is like a big "Bear Hug". Some girls LOVE it and some feel smothered. It really depends on the personality of the girl. There is a lot of personal attention given to every single girl. Not all teenagers appreciate that kind of thing. Some just want to be "left alone" others thrive with that. At BYM you can have a personal connection with the staff and teachers if you seek it out. At BYR it is forced upon you.

Personally, I want that for my daughter (8th grader) and think she will do well with that. Though not necessarily will it be the right thing for all of my daughters. My 8th grader is a perfectionist, the type who puts a huge amount of pressure on herself to do well. (And she does... all the while stressing over the 95s and 98s she gets when she really wants 100, every time) I'm afraid the higher pressured environment of BYM will just cause her to put more and more pressure on herself to the detriment of her physical and mental health. I'm hoping that BYR will be the right atmosphere for her to grow. Even if she learns a few less Rambans in BYR I'm hoping she will develop into a healthy balanced adult.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 9:16 pm
What did I get a hug for? Is that instead of a "disagree"?
Don't worry... I can handle it... I've got teenagers LOL

little neshamala

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 9:38 pm
OP, BYM is a great school, I know plenty who loved it and did very well there. A big difference they have compared to BY ramapo, is their way of addressing things to do with hashkafic guidelines. They are much more into enforcing rules as opposed to giving a round-table talk about the matter (BY ramapo and BYDRH style)
For example, when yofee coffee opened and offered free filtered (kosher) wifi, BYM's approach was to enforce a rule prohibitting the girls from going there. At one point they had a rule against girls going to 7-11 for slurpees and the mall without a parent because girls had been behaving inappropriately there/concerns about it being a hangout over all. They had a rule against texting-not sure if they changed it by now, dont think they did.
The basic theme is that when there is an area of concern, BYM tends to make a rule against it, BYR and BYDRH tend to take the approach of talking to the girls "lets be careful that when we go to yoffee coffee/ 7-11/mall or text etc we do so appropriately etc etc"
Some girls in BYM are fine with the rules, some just ignore them-but know that that is really the big difference in the approach of the schools.

yksraya

Post Sat, Nov 21 2015, 9:48 pm
amother wrote:
What did I get a hug for? Is that instead of a "disagree"?
Don't worry... I can handle it... I've got teenagers LOL

lol, I think someone just wanted to give you a forced upon "bear hug".

nywife

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 7:17 am
little neshamala wrote:
OP, BYM is a great school, I know plenty who loved it and did very well there. A big difference they have compared to BY ramapo, is their way of addressing things to do with hashkafic guidelines. They are much more into enforcing rules as opposed to giving a round-table talk about the matter (BY ramapo and BYDRH style)
For example, when yofee coffee opened and offered free filtered (kosher) wifi, BYM's approach was to enforce a rule prohibitting the girls from going there. At one point they had a rule against girls going to 7-11 for slurpees and the mall without a parent because girls had been behaving inappropriately there/concerns about it being a hangout over all. They had a rule against texting-not sure if they changed it by now, dont think they did.
The basic theme is that when there is an area of concern, BYM tends to make a rule against it, BYR and BYDRH tend to take the approach of talking to the girls "lets be careful that when we go to yoffee coffee/ 7-11/mall or text etc we do so appropriately etc etc"
Some girls in BYM are fine with the rules, some just ignore them-but know that that is really the big difference in the approach of the schools.

This! Summed up perfectly.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Nov 23 2015, 11:33 pm
What about socially? Are the girls lost in BYM if they didn't come from YSV? What about in BYR? Also, how many girls in either school really come from homes with TVs. Do people lie about it in either place?

Yael

Post Wed, Nov 25 2015, 12:09 am
I have cleaned up this thread to remove needless lashon hara, and left intact the parts with info that can help someone. Please keep the thread on topic, and avoid posting generalizations based only on rumors that are not actual facts.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics