Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Pregnant Hasidic woman attacked by stranger- ABC news
Previous  1  2

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 8:27 am
hey believe it or not, women can be dangerous too - so just be careful either way ... these stories are always disheartening ... I myself give rides to people often enough - I like to think however that I have a good perception of people and am careful with whom and for why ...

amother

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 8:33 am
amother wrote:
letsbehonest wrote:

Supposedly, many Wiliamasburg women do this to get to BP.

Supposedly? Do you know this for 100%? I don't appreciate it when people just go assuming because this lady was from williamsburg.
Three possibilities, they're right or they're wrong or they're right sometimes :

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/st.....57141
Quote:
There are Hasidic communities in close proximity to each other, one is Williamsburg and another in Borough Park. People in the Hasidic communities travel back and forth on a daily basis. And to do that, they often catch rides with Hasidic strangers. It's a practice they've been using for nearly four decades without a problem. Until now.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 8:37 am
I don't know...I was always taught to not talk to strangers, how much more, not to get into their car?!??!?! What about with children? Do they hitchhike with children? I know in Israel we tremped a lot. In the beginning it was very scary and it soon became the norm. But, there have been bad situations re. tremping. My dh and I once got into an Arab's car....v. scary b/c he came to the Jewish place to tremp instead of the Arab part, needless to say, we got out quickly!

sarahd

Post Sun, Jul 08 2007, 11:02 am
People in Williamsburg definitely do hitch rides to BP. I have done it myself and have also given rides to people. However, I would never offer a ride to a man unless I had a man with me, nor would I take a ride alone with a man. The story does sound a bit funny - but the woman may have just been naive.

A friend of mine was waiting for the bus to get to her kallah classes and was offered a ride by a "frum" man. She accepted and the man tried to assault her. She was lucky and escaped the car at a red light. She was 18 and should have known better....but she was also naive.

CAYA

Post Wed, Jul 11 2007, 8:46 am
It must be she's naive and didn't realize she's doing something very wrong.
It's a common thing in williamsburg and b that when you see someone waiting for the bus you stop to ask if wanna hitch, she saw this real chaisdishe looking man and didnt dream.........

faigie

Post Wed, Jul 11 2007, 10:34 am
honestly, I dont get it.. I dont know of a single frum lady who would get into a car with a guy. something just isnt right here. I feel like im missing some info.

supermom

Post Wed, Jul 11 2007, 12:54 pm
Firstly the woman is married.

Here in Israel people take rides from men or woman.

sleepyhead

Post Wed, Jul 11 2007, 3:53 pm
I think what was meant by "single" was "any" (not 'a lady who is not married')

chen

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 8:44 am
Cinderella wrote:

Am, I the only one that is really disturbed by this woman hitchiking Question

Amother-There might be a little more to this story, because it seems rather odd that a Chasidishe woman got into a strange MAN'S car-Chasidish or not!

I'm with you on both counts. Something fishy here. I know Chassidim hitchhike--dh has been accosted any number of times by men wanting rides, and I myslef have been petitioned by Chassidish ladies--but a woman getting into a car with a man, stranger or not? Huh-uh. Doesn't make sense unless she was in labor and the car was a hatzolohmobile.

and doesn't anyone teach their kids "don't get into a car with a stranger" any more? News Flash: there is no expiration date on this advice. It is at true at 26 or 56 or 76 as it is at 6.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 20 2007, 12:03 pm
Rumor has it, that the person who did this was found, he's a father of 5. I guess that's why everything is hush hush, must be someone people know.
very sad.

CAYA

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 8:47 am
I saw this women yesterday, her hand is in a cast, I pity her like crazy

Mevater

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 11:54 am
amother wrote:
Rumor has it, that the person who did this was found, he's a father of 5. I guess that's why everything is hush hush, must be someone people know.
very sad.
It would have made headlines in the non jewish Press!

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jul 25 2007, 12:59 pm
Oy Caya you actually know her? wow.

CAYA

Post Thu, Jul 26 2007, 8:47 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Oy Caya you actually know her? wow.

yups!

ILOVELIFE

Post Thu, Aug 02 2007, 11:22 pm
They released a sketch of the guy so I guess he wasn't found and that the father of 5 business is of those 64,000 rumors

amother

Post Sat, Aug 04 2007, 7:37 pm
I know this young lady. I just don't comprehend why she took a ride with a man. Only thing I can think of is in the sheltered community she lives in, lots of families do not bring newspapers into their homes. They do not own a radio. Interenet is a no-no. So they are for the most part not aware of what 'life' is about, and the dangers out there. They are not exposed to any of it. I mean, think about it, how do we know about the dangers? we hear about them on the radio, tv, read about them in the newspapers, etc. She grew up in a very loving family, it is beyond her wildest imaginations that a man can do such a thing; she doesn't even ever suspect a man can do this! In fact, I have heard that when the guy came to the back of the car to rape her, she naively thought he wanted to kill her!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics