Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bnos Derech Yisroel Monsey
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 5:29 pm
amother wrote:
Bnos Derech Yisroel is trying to be like Bais Rochel in a Chassidishe version.

They want to build it with a solid education in Yiddish/Kodesh and English and solid love for Yiddishkeit.

This just made me laugh. It's been a while since I graduated Bais Rochel, so maybe things have changed, but the level of education was sorely lacking and so was the love of Yiddishkeit.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 5:56 pm
The real problem of trying to out-frum each other is the quality of the teacher's and the material they teach, my DD constantly complaints about the low level and the amount of tznies & chasiddis lessons. It's a costly & painful joke.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 7:38 pm
amother wrote:
Bais Sura fits right in with the Chassidishe schools in Monsey trying to outdo each others.
I'm not sure about Tomer Devorah.
Bnos Derech Yisroel definitely has potential to be a great fit for Chassidish parents who want a good solid Chinuch and education for their girls.

Bais Sarah does have some extreme tznius rules for the kids, but I never heard a word about rules for the parents. I don't think twice about walking into the school building with black tights. I happen to not drive, but they never asked, nor is it in the takanos list. They never asked if either of the parents have smartphones. I know quite a few Bais Sarah parents who own smartphones, most of whom I know for a fact do not require them for work (myself included. Lol.)They do ask if there's a computer at home, Internet, and if yes, with a heter from which rav.
Crowd-wise, Bais Sarah is similar to Tomer Devora.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 7:53 pm
Was talking about most chassidish schools in Monsey have no major rules for the moms. I know plenty of ppl that wear black stockings & send to chassidish schools.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 8:29 pm
amother wrote:
Someone Mrs. Berger from Boro Park is the principal

Are you referring to Mrs. Miriam Berger who used to be principal in several other schools, including Vien Williamsburg and a Lakewood school?

Maya

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 8:30 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Are you referring to Mrs. Miriam Berger who used to be principal in several other schools, including Vien Williamsburg and a Lakewood school?

Yes, she's the one.

sourstix

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 8:31 pm
maya can I safely assume you live in monsey?

Maya

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 8:38 pm
sourstix wrote:

I do live in Monsey.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 9:02 pm
amother wrote:
Was talking about most chassidish schools in Monsey have no major rules for the moms. I know plenty of ppl that wear black stockings & send to chassidish schools.

What? Which planet do you live on? Viznitz mothers may not go outside in long robes, and they must sign to oblige by this and many other rules. Pupa, Satmar, Viznitz, Belz, and Bobov don't accept mothers who drive. They will comment (without having official rules) on mothers' length of sheitel, makeup, length of earrings, perfume, length of skirts, color shoes, etc. But to be honest, Bais Rochel which is not chassidish is most notorious for this same thing.

courage2218

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 9:10 pm
Are daughters of baalei teshuva likely to be accepted in Bnos Derech Yisroel (admission and socially)?

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 10:31 pm
amother wrote:
What? Which planet do you live on? Viznitz mothers may not go outside in long robes, and they must sign to oblige by this and many other rules. Pupa, Satmar, Viznitz, Belz, and Bobov don't accept mothers who drive. They will comment (without having official rules) on mothers' length of sheitel, makeup, length of earrings, perfume, length of skirts, color shoes, etc. But to be honest, Bais Rochel which is not chassidish is most notorious for this same thing.

I'm a viznitz grad, the long robe rule is Puke

courage2218

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 10:34 pm
I think its not so appropriate to go outside in a long robe anyway. I have a shabbos robe that looks like a dress on me with a belt, like you literally cannot tell. It still is not ideal to go outside in such things.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 10:36 pm
courage2218 wrote:
I think its not so appropriate to go outside in a long robe anyway. I have a shabbos robe that looks like a dress on me with a belt, like you literally cannot tell. It still is not ideal to go outside in such things.

And why isn't it appropriate? shock

courage2218

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 10:41 pm
It just is not 100% presentable. It is important to look good when going outside. Most of the world would never get away with wearing these things outside or their equivalent. Shabbos robes often show the slightest curves in a woman's body. Muffin-tops, extra stomach from previous pregnancies. They are not flattering and are a lazy alternative for getting dressed in most cases. They are good for when you need to be lazy with that part such as when feeding a young infant a bottle, and they are wonderful if you truly have no time. But if you are going outside, you should look neat and presentable. Wearing a gown that is not flattering and expresses/emphasizes the wrong parts of your body is not tznius.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 10:53 pm
courage2218 wrote:
It just is not 100% presentable. It is important to look good when going outside. Most of the world would never get away with wearing these things outside or their equivalent. Shabbos robes often show the slightest curves in a woman's body. Muffin-tops, extra stomach from previous pregnancies. They are not flattering and are a lazy alternative for getting dressed in most cases. They are good for when you need to be lazy with that part such as when feeding a young infant a bottle, and they are wonderful if you truly have no time. But if you are going outside, you should look neat and presentable. Wearing a gown that is not flattering and expresses/emphasizes the wrong parts of your body is not tznius.

Their issue is not that they want you to get dressed on shabbos. They dont care if you wear a robe , its the fact that its 'long' that bothers them. They're ok with it as long as you hem it so its short.

And just as a btw, all my robes I ever owned were perfectly tznius. None of them clinged to my body (and im not a size 2 lol)

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 11:55 pm
courage2218 wrote:
Are daughters of baalei teshuva likely to be accepted in Bnos Derech Yisroel (admission and socially)?

I am a baalas teshuva and Mrs. Berger has been nothing but wonderful to me. I don't go around advertising my background, but the parent body is generally very warm and friendly.

As for the quality of the education, I have an advanced secular education and I would say the English curriculum is strong. I believe the Yiddish curriculum is as well, but not having grown up "in the system" I will leave it to someone more qualified to comment on that.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 12:02 am
amother wrote:
I am a baalas teshuva and Mrs. Berger has been nothing but wonderful to me. I don't go around advertising my background, but the parent body is generally very warm and friendly.

As for the quality of the education, I have an advanced secular education and I would say the English curriculum is strong. I believe the Yiddish curriculum is as well, but not having grown up "in the system" I will leave it to someone more qualified to comment on that.

Here is the 64k question. Maybe because its ONLY girls they get an adequate secular education
Do you send your boys to a chasidish school
What type of education are they receiving

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 12:28 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Here is the 64k question. Maybe because its ONLY girls they get an adequate secular education
Do you send your boys to a chasidish school
What type of education are they receiving

I think this is off the topic, but anyway... I send to Imrei Shufer and I am pleased with their education. Both the menahel and the administrator appreciate the importance of a solid secular education and are working hard to set a high standard. Now, if only we could get the chasidishe system to extend this past kiteh tes....

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 9:17 am
cnc wrote:
I think she was referencing the hashkafah, not the educational level.

Correct. I was commenting on the hashkafa.

Last edited by Scrabble123 on Wed, Jan 13 2016, 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Maya

Post Wed, Jan 13 2016, 9:20 am
sourstix wrote:

Why do you ask?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics