Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Nude definitions...
Previous  1  2  3

youngishbear

Post Sun, Feb 21 2016, 1:25 am
Maya wrote:
I knew a Chassidish woman who wouldn't let her very talented piano playing son get professional instruction, in case he gets so good at playing and the heimishe world becomes too small of an audience for him...

By professional you mean like the real thing (Julliard)? Or a local instructor? If the former, I hear her concerns. It's really not a simple dilemma. The latter is just a bit too much over protection.

(I am reminded of the novel The Gordian Knot. Wacky in many ways but depicts the pull of stardom on a young person.)

Adults with special talents do struggle with how to balance using their gift vs letting it control their lives.

And... this reminds me of a different thread. Who says developing a specific talent to its ultimate end is the true definition of living up to one's potential? Maybe being a well-rounded person is more important?

These are big questions.

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 21 2016, 2:32 am
youngishbear wrote:
By professional you mean like the real thing (Julliard)? Or a local instructor? If the former, I hear her concerns. It's really not a simple dilemma. The latter is just a bit too much over protection.

(I am reminded of the novel The Gordian Knot. Wacky in many ways but depicts the pull of stardom on a young person.)

Adults with special talents do struggle with how to balance using their gift vs letting it control their lives.

And... this reminds me of a different thread. Who says developing a specific talent to its ultimate end is the true definition of living up to one's potential? Maybe being a well-rounded person is more important?

These are big questions.

Being a well-rounded, functioning individual is definitely more important than becoming a savant who is unable to function properly (if we are to take things to extremes).

OTOH, those in the charedi world who would be most likely to discourage someone with a "secular" talent such as music from honing this talent on world-class level are not doing so for the sake of developing well-rounded people.

Heyaaa

Post Sun, Feb 21 2016, 3:41 am
DrMom wrote:
Being a well-rounded, functioning individual is definitely more important than becoming a savant who is unable to function properly (if we are to take things to extremes).

OTOH, those in the charedi world who would be most likely to discourage someone with a "secular" talent such as music from honing this talent on world-class level are not doing so for the sake of developing well-rounded people.

It depends if you believe that well rounded has to mean cultured. It does not mean exposure.

Well rounded can mean, disciplined, knowledgeable in all relevant areas of life that he may be exposed to in his life.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Feb 21 2016, 9:07 am
ויתערבו בגוים וילמדו מעשיהם
is still relevant, ie Matisyahu, unfortunately

sneakermom

Post Sun, Feb 21 2016, 9:27 am
I think developing a talent to it's fullest is important as long as it doesn't interfere with ones values or damage close relationships.

I think the boy in the Chaim potak novel could have pursued his artistic talent without giving himself up completely the way he did. He could have found his own method of painting that brings out his essence instead of using the secular method of letting it all go to get to the rawest and most primal emotions.

I am not a prodigy of any kind lol. But I've been to secular colleges and I learned so much! But I picked and choosed what to incorporate in my life and what to push aside and discard.

As far as nudity. I think the art form of the body isn't necessarily bad. Just as a doctor studies bodies artists might paint them. There's nothing wrong with paying some attention to the human form.

Not to hang in your dining room (or anywhere really) or to paint in a heightened sense of arousal.

It's all about discretion really.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Feb 21 2016, 1:13 pm
I specifically think that talents like art and music can be very therapeutic to children and adults, not to mention give them an outlet as well as confidence.

Not everything needs to be connected to stardom.

How many chassidishe rebbes played music and used it to connect to their Creator? I'm disappointed that some would be scared to 'risk' developing these talents lest the child he pulled to the secular world.

water_bear88

Post Sun, Feb 21 2016, 3:26 pm
So when B'ezrat Hashem the Beit Hamikdash is rebuilt this year, you're all saying that there won't be any Chassidim among the Leviyim who serve their Creator with music?

youngishbear

Post Sun, Feb 21 2016, 7:37 pm
water_bear88 wrote:
So when B'ezrat Hashem the Beit Hamikdash is rebuilt this year, you're all saying that there won't be any Chassidim among the Leviyim who serve their Creator with music?

LOL

Because one chassidish woman reportedly doesn't encourage the professional development of her kids' talent?

Shall I begin listing the talented musicians and singers in the chassidish world?

youngishbear

Post Sun, Feb 21 2016, 7:52 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I specifically think that talents like art and music can be very therapeutic to children and adults, not to mention give them an outlet as well as confidence.

Not everything needs to be connected to stardom.

How many chassidishe rebbes played music and used it to connect to their Creator? I'm disappointed that some would be scared to 'risk' developing these talents lest the child he pulled to the secular world.

It does sound like an odd extremist to me.

Most people I know do not object to developing talent, they just don't let it become the child's main focus.

Certainly using musical or artistic talent within the community is very common.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics