Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Lubavitch, what's so special about it?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Were you born lubavitch?
yes  
 49%  [ 30 ]
no  
 50%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 61

shalhevet

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 5:55 am
GAMZu wrote:
bashinda wrote:
GR wrote:
Quote:
actually her chuppa was very interesting....

miriamnechama, what's so different about a Chabad chuppah? I've been to different ones and don't remember anything that different.

I've been to maybe 3 or 4 non Lubavitch chassunas (mainstream Orthodox I'd imagine) and it was very different:

1. no Alter Rebbe's niggun (in fact the tune they use when the chossen comes to bedek the kallah was very lively.)

2. the unterfiren were set up differently. chossen was walked to the chuppah with his parents and kallah with her parents (as opposed to the women going with the kallah and the men with the chossen)

3. the chuppah was inside

4. the chuppah was pre set up. and there were seats on one side for men and one side for women and everything was very neat and organized

5. various personages walked down the aisle

6. no mitzvah tantz. oh wait. We don't do that either. Smile

Actually, every chasidish chasuna is like the Lubavitch one you describe. Except with a mitzva tantz Smile. And the nigun is specific to each chasidus.

Actually, the non-chasidish chasunas I've gone to were similar to what you described, except some WERE outdoors, but the "audience'' was inside on chairs.

Well at Litvish weddings in EY, 2,3,4, and 5 are not done either. So maybe it's nothing to do with Litvish/Chassidish/ Lubavitch anyway.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 6:00 am
Quote:
2. the unterfiren were set up differently. chossen was walked to the chuppah with his parents and kallah with her parents (as opposed to the women going with the kallah and the men with the chossen)
Actually, Lubavitch minhag doesn't exclude going with his parents for him and her parents for her. I think the chuppah of one of the Rebbeim was that way, maybe the Frierdiker Rebbe?.

gryp

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 8:48 am
Quote:
Actually, every chasidish chasuna is like the Lubavitch one you describe. Except with a mitzva tantz . And the nigun is specific to each chasidus.

That's interesting. I was going to ask which Niggunim the other types of Chassidim walk down to, but then I realized that I probably don't even know them, do I?

I've been to a few Litvishe chuppahs, and the only major difference was that it was inside, sometimes under and open skylight, sometimes not. Of course they don't walk down to the Alter Rebbe's Niggun but I didn't think that and other things were a major difference. That's why I was surprised to hear it was so different from miriamnechama's point of view.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 9:03 am
bashinda wrote:
One thing I recently learned is that men do not wear the kapoteh in Lubavitch unless their a close family member. Kind of sad since that's the Lubavitch levush. DH always wears his kapoteh to chassunahs and I always figured that's the norm but apparently not.

Right. He needs a wedding suit. Do you wear regular Shabblos clothes to a wedding, or do you have 1 or 2 fancier outfits put aside?

gryp

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 9:18 am
Bashinda, only the brothers/ bils? wear kapotehs to the wedding.

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 9:22 am
remember the good ol' days when everyone wore long dresses ...

hey we had a mix of minhagim - lebedik by kabolas ponim with own parents walking in before - the alter rebbes niggun to the chuppah - with dads walking down chosson and moms walking down kallah ...

the one thing I did not know is that we were gonna sit together and the lubavitchers separated the tables - go figure ... but the chossons friends dance for the chosson & kallah while they sit together in the men's section ... so another variance

GAMZu

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 4:29 pm
GR, I walked down to Koh Echsoyf (from Shabbos Zmiros)

gryp

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 4:46 pm
I don't think I know that one, Gamzu. But I just thought of another question. If this style chuppah is not exclusive to Lubavitch (besides the Alter Rebbe's Niggun) but is a typical Chassidish chuppah, MiriamNechama, didn't you say you were Breslov? Are Breslov chuppahs not typical Chassidish?

Motek

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 9:16 pm
shalhevet wrote:
What I was trying to say is that we know if a derech is special by asking Gedolei Torah

the ol' daas Torah myth ... maybe it works for you

it certainly isn't the way the vast majority of Jews picked a path in life

Quote:
and also plenty of examples of tzaddikim and gedolei olam who weren't opposed (Yehoshua, the Ramban, Rashi)

of course, because Yehoshua had no derech (sic) to oppose, nor did Ramban or Rashi since they weren't controversial

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 9:37 pm
hope this doesn't sound too dumb but what does this mean

(sic)
does it stand for something?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 9:42 pm
It means that the orig. quote had a mistake in it, which is not being corrected.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 9:44 pm
Sic is from Latin, "so". In this case, it means "[it was written] that way". It often shows the person who writes disagree or think the word is not correct.

Ah, memories from Latin classes LOL

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 10:02 pm
oh I see, thanks for explaining
but motek didn't quote anything. Confused

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 10:09 pm
You should ask her about that.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 10:11 pm
According to what I read:
Yehoshua had no derech (sic)

Motek either quoted the word derech and finds it incorrect, or the sentence "Yehoshua had no derech" and disagrees.

I feel teacherish lol

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 10:18 pm
I'm confused but nevermind, its not important.

chocy I did ask and you are all replying see. 8)
if I didn't ask then what is this conversation about? Mr. Green
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics