Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Lubavitch, what's so special about it?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Were you born lubavitch?
yes  
 49%  [ 30 ]
no  
 50%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 61

gryp

Post Thu, Jul 26 2007, 1:05 pm
Ilana, the written reply is the page you open to in the Sefer. When you put a letter in the Ohel, you wait for a different form of communication. Meaning, the Rebbe finds a way to show us the answer, however that may be.

rivkag

Post Thu, Jul 26 2007, 2:00 pm
Ilana, when people write to the igros, it's a book with all the letters that the rebbe has written to people over the years. So when they put the letter in and open it they read a letter/answer that is not written that moment it's from years before but it might have an answer in it what that person needs at that moment. the rebbe can't write it that moment because he is not in this world only spritially.
But not everyone always get an answer.
But just to tell you it's more complicated than it sounds, it's not a game. And not everyone in lubavitch write to the Igros, a lot of people just write to the ohel with their questions and problems, and hope to be inspired or feel after that more sure about what to do.

bashinda

Post Thu, Jul 26 2007, 2:06 pm
GR wrote:
Quote:
actually her chuppa was very interesting....

miriamnechama, what's so different about a Chabad chuppah? I've been to different ones and don't remember anything that different.

I've been to maybe 3 or 4 non Lubavitch chassunas (mainstream Orthodox I'd imagine) and it was very different:

1. no Alter Rebbe's niggun (in fact the tune they use when the chossen comes to bedek the kallah was very lively.)

2. the unterfiren were set up differently. chossen was walked to the chuppah with his parents and kallah with her parents (as opposed to the women going with the kallah and the men with the chossen)

3. the chuppah was inside

4. the chuppah was pre set up. and there were seats on one side for men and one side for women and everything was very neat and organized

5. various personages walked down the aisle

6. no mitzvah tantz. oh wait. We don't do that either. Smile

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Jul 26 2007, 2:07 pm
GR wrote:
Quote:

miriamnechama, what's so different about a Chabad chuppah? I've been to different ones and don't remember anything that different.

The not- Chabad chupas that I've been to were all about twice as long as the Lubavitch ones.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jul 26 2007, 2:08 pm
bashinda wrote:

Actually, every dance at the chasunah is a mitzva tantz. it's all lekovod the choson and kallah.

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Jul 26 2007, 2:09 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I want to try one day to see if it really works.

It works if you believe it will work!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 26 2007, 2:13 pm
mummy-bh wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
I want to try one day to see if it really works.

It works if you believe it will work!

But isn't this a bit easy... if it worked, it is because it is supposed to work, but if it doesn't work it is because you didn't believe...

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Jul 26 2007, 5:47 pm
Ruchel the idea is that not always the answer is what we want to hear and not always is the answer in black and white.
Often the Rebbe responds in a hidden way, thats not so obvious and not always in writing.
This was true, even before gimmel tamuz.

Btw this is also not an exclusively lubavitch custom and not a new one either.
Some former litvish (I think) neighbors of mine, when I told them about the igros, told me that they had a custom in their family similar to that one.
This sort of thing goes back a long time but I'm not clear on the details

Last edited by Lechatchila Ariber on Thu, Jul 26 2007, 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Jul 26 2007, 5:48 pm
also, I heard a story once of how a guy came to a lubavticher and said he wants to put a letter in the igros.
the lubavither helped him prepare (sprirtually) and guided him in the process. When he opened the igros the page was blank and the guy turned white.
what happened?
The guy was just a stirer and wanted to make fun and challenge the Lubavitcher...he had put a blank letter in!

Motek

Post Fri, Aug 03 2007, 5:53 pm
shalhevet wrote:
amother wrote:
Quote:
So because there is the most misnagdus against lub. that means that lub. is the most special?
There is much more misnagdus against satmar than viznitz, does that mean that satmar is more special than viznitz??

Have you seen the misnagdus on this site to Zionism? Must be PRETTY SPECIAL!!!!!!

This is exactly the point I was trying to make. Not trying to say anything against Lub here, just that the whole argument is ridiculous.

True, it's ridiculous, but not because of the reason you gave.

It's ridiculous because you have it backwards.

It's not that something is special BECAUSE it is opposed, as you thought:

Quote:
According to this, Xianity is more special than any branch of Judaism, since every single Gadol and rav says it is false.

It's the other way round.

BECAUSE it is special, THEREFORE it is opposed.

Hashem created the world zeh l'umas zeh - with balances. So the Gemara says, the greater the person, the greater his yetzer hara. So too on a larger scale, Jews are opposed (as tzena wrote, given the source about Sinai-Sina), Moshe was opposed, Dovid Ha'Melech was vilified, etc.

creativemommyto3

Post Sat, Aug 04 2007, 3:01 pm
I was reading a book called " A Chassidic Journey" and it said there that the first lubavitcher rebbe was a talmid of the maggid of mezritch. That is pretty chashuv.

It's a shame that a chassidus with such chashuv beginnings got such a bad name.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Aug 04 2007, 3:39 pm
Motek wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
amother wrote:
Quote:
So because there is the most misnagdus against lub. that means that lub. is the most special?
There is much more misnagdus against satmar than viznitz, does that mean that satmar is more special than viznitz??

Have you seen the misnagdus on this site to Zionism? Must be PRETTY SPECIAL!!!!!!

This is exactly the point I was trying to make. Not trying to say anything against Lub here, just that the whole argument is ridiculous.

True, it's ridiculous, but not because of the reason you gave.

It's ridiculous because you have it backwards.

It's not that something is special BECAUSE it is opposed, as you thought:

Quote:
According to this, Xianity is more special than any branch of Judaism, since every single Gadol and rav says it is false.

It's the other way round.

BECAUSE it is special, THEREFORE it is opposed.

Hashem created the world zeh l'umas zeh - with balances. So the Gemara says, the greater the person, the greater his yetzer hara. So too on a larger scale, Jews are opposed (as tzena wrote, given the source about Sinai-Sina), Moshe was opposed, Dovid Ha'Melech was vilified, etc.

What I was trying to say is that we know if a derech is special by asking Gedolei Torah, not by (il)logical arguments. (Which we basically seem to agree on.)

I still don't agree that opposing someone/a derech means anything at all. I can give you lots of examples of tzaddikim and gedolei olam who were opposed (eg Dovid Hamelech as you mentioned, Tamar, the Rambam..) and also plenty of examples of tzaddikim and gedolei olam who weren't opposed (Yehoshua, the Ramban, Rashi). Similarly vice versa. I don't think this argument has any source. (The greater a person, the greater his yetzer hara and also the greater a potential a person/place/thing has for kedusha the greater for tuma etc is a different issue.)

We know the correct derech by asking our rabbonim what is the correct one, not by all kinds of 'signs'.

gryp

Post Sat, Aug 04 2007, 9:54 pm
Quote:
We know the correct derech by asking our rabbonim what is the correct one

That's right. We do.

Quote:
I was reading a book called " A Chassidic Journey" and it said there that the first lubavitcher rebbe was a talmid of the maggid of mezritch. That is pretty chashuv.

Arita, it is an interesting story, the history of the Maggid's passing and the Alter Rebbe taking over the mantle of leadership.

Quote:
It's a shame that a chassidus with such chashuv beginnings got such a bad name.

Arita, I'm not sure if you're trying to ask something by hinting again and again at the rumors that surround Lubavitch. If you would like to ask any question on your mind, I'll be glad to answer via PM.

When good people get a bad name, it is because of Lashon Hara and ignorance combined.

ohbaby!

Post Sat, Aug 04 2007, 10:10 pm
weren't opposed (Yehoshua, the Ramban...

just wanted to add, that I heard a speech this past week all about the rambam and - YES_ he was opposed! they even burned in public a lot of his writings!

GAMZu

Post Sat, Aug 04 2007, 10:34 pm
bashinda wrote:
GR wrote:
Quote:

I've been to maybe 3 or 4 non Lubavitch chassunas (mainstream Orthodox I'd imagine) and it was very different:

1. no Alter Rebbe's niggun (in fact the tune they use when the chossen comes to bedek the kallah was very lively.)

2. the unterfiren were set up differently. chossen was walked to the chuppah with his parents and kallah with her parents (as opposed to the women going with the kallah and the men with the chossen)

3. the chuppah was inside

4. the chuppah was pre set up. and there were seats on one side for men and one side for women and everything was very neat and organized

5. various personages walked down the aisle

Actually, every chasidish chasuna is like the Lubavitch one you describe. Except with a mitzva tantz Smile. And the nigun is specific to each chasidus.

Actually, the non-chasidish chasunas I've gone to were similar to what you described, except some WERE outdoors, but the "audience'' was inside on chairs.

momof6

Post Sat, Aug 04 2007, 10:45 pm
Yup! Believe it or not Lubavitchers are Chassidim shock who follow chassidisher mihagim! LOL

GAMZu

Post Sat, Aug 04 2007, 11:18 pm
Meaning, that the difference is not Lubavitch vs. other chasunas. It's Chasidish vs. non-chasidish chasunas.

bashinda

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 12:30 am
GAMZu wrote:
Meaning, that the difference is not Lubavitch vs. other chasunas. It's Chasidish vs. non-chasidish chasunas.

That makes a lot of sense. I was just trying to be silly with the mitzvah tantz comment. Wink

So if you've been to a chassunah that was chassidish but not lubavitch then you wouldn't see so many differences I guess...

One thing I don't like is what I recently learned is that for many families men do not wear the kapoteh in Lubavitch unless their a close family member. Kind of sad since that's the Lubavitch levush. DH always wears his kapoteh to chassunahs and I always figured that's the norm but apparently not.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 4:12 am
bashinda wrote:

Just to nit-pick, we are shluchim, and my chuppa was all set up before, and very organised. It was in a hotel, the actual chuppah was outside, but the room had one wall that completely opened up, so insider were seats along both sides of the walkway, and it was very organised and even on time!
I think its more in Crown Heights, where people go to 770 for the chuppah, that they set it up as Chosson and Kallah are on the way, especially since its usually late, but thats not a trademark of Lubavitch Chuppahs.

BTW, another difference I noticed - by my chuppah, I walked around DH with his and my parents and grandparents, but a friend of mine, not Lubavitch, walked around her Chosson by herself! Anyone else do this?

shalhevet

Post Sun, Aug 05 2007, 5:05 am
ohbaby! wrote:
weren't opposed (Yehoshua, the Ramban...

just wanted to add, that I heard a speech this past week all about the rambam and - YES_ he was opposed! they even burned in public a lot of his writings!

I think you're getting the Rambam (Rabbi Moshe ben Maimon) (who I mentioned was opposed) and the Ramban (Rabbi Moshe ben Nachman) mixed up.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics