Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Nyc vacation
Previous  1  2

doctorima

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 12:07 am
Mint Chocolate wrote:
Am interested in hearing about those good spots to eat near museum of marital history?!TIA

Sorry to go off-topic, but this auto-complete had me laughing - Museum of Marital History - wonder what kind of exhibits they have there? Smile

Roses4me

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 4:47 pm
Thanks so much for all the replies!
What about getting to those areas from the airport? Whats the best way? Taxi?
Are taxis easy to get?

doctorima

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 10:52 am
Taxis from the airport are definitely easy to get - they're lined up outside in a designated place, just follow the signs. It will likely be cheaper though to use Uber.

Roses4me

Post Mon, Jun 13 2016, 7:00 pm
Is it worth hiring a car? Woodbury common sounds nice but looks far when I google it..

cbg

Post Mon, Jun 13 2016, 9:26 pm
amother wrote:
Avenue Plaza Hotel-located in BP by 13th ace &47 is centrally located to all shopping, food and shuls it's close to train station to get to Manhattan.
Please let me know what other info u need?

Also Park House hotel, and Lxure, both offer a beautiful kosher breakfast, not like in Israel hotels, but very nice for US

IMO, stay in Boro park, either hotel, and take the subway to Manhattan to which ever sightseeing destination.

As far as concern Shabbat, if you stay at the Lxure hotel, it's walking distance to Sephardic Syrian Synagogues, on Avenue J and Ocean Parkway, Avenue J Yad Yosef Torah Center (yeshivish), or Beth Torah (a bit more modern). Most people don't hold by the Eruv, but you should ask. It's about a 15 minute walk.

You can ask the hotel to lend you a hot plate and a Shabbat hot water urn, and buy takeout either in BoroPark or Flatbush. In Flatbush you can get Syrian Food, kibbe, Yerba, etc.

Lxure hotel- 718-501-3911 lxure.com/brooklyn.html
Ave J Yad Yosef Torah Center- 718-677-3707 yadyosef.org
Beth Torah 718- 252-9840 beth-torah.com/contact-us/

You can google search walking directions.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 8:25 pm
Wow
Thanks
Not OP
But great info

Roses4me

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 9:00 am
Hi all
Thanks for all the replies its been so helpful!
the Avenue Plaza hotel seems the nicest from reviews. Would that be right?
Also if we hire a car to go the outlet any other sightseeing we could use it for the next day? Outside the city I guess as it wouldnt be worth keeping it that day as we would take public transport into the city.

doctorima

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 11:06 am
You can keep a rental car as long as you want, but you pay for each day that you have it. Woodbury Commons is far, and having your own car will definitely be the easiest and most convenient way to get there. Mass transit is the best way to get to/from NYC.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 12:26 pm
Correct the Avenue Plaza is definitely a great choice. It's a more upscale hotel centrally located in Boro Park. They serve a continental breakfast in the morning and u can buy food for Shabbos from the meal mart takeout across the street. It's possible they have hot plates to accommodate guests. I believe there is a safari shul by 12th Ave & 44th street which is a five minute walk from hotel.
Good luck let me know if u need more info

Roses4me

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 5:23 pm
where would be nice restaurants?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 7:58 pm
Roses4me wrote:
where would be nice restaurants?

Orchidea is a beautiful dairy restaurant about 3 blocks from the Avenue Plaza Hotel. Nighttime is nicer as daytime they have a buffet style lunch so it's really busy with women and babies.

The Loft is an outstanding upscale steakhouse, Manhattan style, 7 blocks from the hotel, so also walking distance. Make sure to make reservations ahead of time as they are always full. Expect to pay a lot. Really nice experience.

And if you need a third option, Glatt a la Carte is a nice meat restaurant. They're on 18th Ave, so you can take the city bus if you'd like, to take you down the avenues. Price is not cheap but not as expensive as the other.

For a quick bite of delicous stuffed grilled chicken sandwiches and such, stop in at Shnitzie's, also walking distance, about 7 blocks away.

If you'd like to order in one night, Glatt Kosher Family is a good place to call for authentic inexpensive Chinese food and they'll deliver. Order from their specials which include a main dish, side of fried or steamed rice along with an egg roll or a soup for like $11 per meal. But they are a hole in the wall and I would not recommend eating there in their store.

There's a Sefardic shul in walking distance from the hotel on 12th Avenue and 45th Street. Upstairs there's a Yemenite minyan and in the basement is a Bukharian minyan. I don't know if there are other Sefardic eida minyanim in the area so not sure if you'd feel comfortable there.

I suggest you daven in Beth El on shabbos, which although not Sefardic, has a huge mix of people and the davening is nussach Sefard. It's walking distance, on 15th Ave and 48th Street. Beautiful shul.

Roses4me

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 3:26 am
Thanks thats so helpful.
What do people wear on shabbos in borough park-suits?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 9:58 am
ra_mom wrote:
Orchidea is a beautiful dairy restaurant about 3 blocks from the Avenue Plaza Hotel. Nighttime is nicer as daytime they have a buffet style lunch so it's really busy with women and babies.

The Loft is an outstanding upscale steakhouse, Manhattan style, 7 blocks from the hotel, so also walking distance. Make sure to make reservations ahead of time as they are always full. Expect to pay a lot. Really nice experience.

And if you need a third option, Glatt a la Carte is a nice meat restaurant. They're on 18th Ave, so you can take the city bus if you'd like, to take you down the avenues. Price is not cheap but not as expensive as the other.

For a quick bite of delicous stuffed grilled chicken sandwiches and such, stop in at Shnitzie's, also walking distance, about 7 blocks away.

If you'd like to order in one night, Glatt Kosher Family is a good place to call for authentic inexpensive Chinese food and they'll deliver. Order from their specials which include a main dish, side of fried or steamed rice along with an egg roll or a soup for like $11 per meal. But they are a hole in the wall and I would not recommend eating there in their store.

There's a Sefardic shul in walking distance from the hotel on 12th Avenue and 45th Street. Upstairs there's a Yemenite minyan and in the basement is a Bukharian minyan. I don't know if there are other Sefardic eida minyanim in the area so not sure if you'd feel comfortable there.

I suggest you daven in Beth El on shabbos, which although not Sefardic, has a huge mix of people and the davening is nussach Sefard. It's walking distance, on 15th Ave and 48th Street. Beautiful shul.

Just wanted to point out that nusach sefard is not the same thing as nusach sefardi. Also, just wanted to clarify that although the BP eruv is controversial, most ultra chassidish people use it.

Other restaurants I'd recommend are: dairy- Spoons, Bleu, and Bagels n Greens
Meat- Sizzle, Sub Express, and China Glatt. All are located on 13th.

People rarely wear suits these days. More casual, colorful, summery outfits are very popular.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics