Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Censorship of non-Jewish Books
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Do you/would you take your children to the public library? (or let them go themselves)
No, I bring books home for them from the public library.  
 7%  [ 3 ]
Yes, no restrictions.  
 10%  [ 4 ]
Yes, and I check to see what they're reading.  
 65%  [ 25 ]
No, I don't want them reading secular books.  
 15%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 38

realeez

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 11:28 am
Hisorerus, sounds like it's straight out of a parenting book! Smile sounds great! (although I don't really have a problem with Jewish books but hey you are the mother!)

Sarag, you wrote that Jewish books are a problem b/c they are poorly written. The OP (original poster) is allowing Lubavitch ones. Are those written better? Do you have names of good ones?

Last edited by realeez on Tue, Mar 07 2006, 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

stem

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 11:39 am
hisorerus wrote:
ISome of Libby Lazewnik's books are simply kosherized romance novels.

What is wrong with kosher romance?

1stimer

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 11:40 am
Quote:

I didn't post to debate heterim, really, although I see your point that it can be defined differently, but to see if I can adequately give over the message that I'd rather NOT have X or Y in my house, I don't think it's TREIF, and if you need it, I can compromise.

well, do that without distorting the very important concept of what a heter is.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 11:41 am
I feel sorry for your kids. I can't imagine having so few books available for me to read. I can't believe that you're also censoring so many Jewish books!

Just keep in mind that there are many excellent secular authors that write novels that aren't trashy or full of romance and negative messages.

1stimer

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 11:53 am
I think it is important to give a solid reason WHY u don't want her to read the books, which u haven't.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 11:55 am
I'm sorry, I don't know what OP is.

realeez

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 11:57 am
SaraG wrote:
I'm sorry, I don't know what OP is.

original poster

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 12:02 pm
Oh...........really?

Some people only read books written by Lub?

Really?

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 12:05 pm
hisorerus, your "conversation" is right on the mark. As it is, my older daughter has read all the latest Yair Weinstock, Chaim Eliav etc. novels. at a younger age, the BY times, bakers dozen etc.

My younger daughter is now at the age to start, but hasn't yet really taken off, because of her basically Al Taharas haKodesh education (excluding math, which some will try to fudge about, but it IS chol, and they do learn that.)

Those books have some redeeming qualities, but I don't really see of any assistance in "Avodas Hashem", like an impact in helping someone be a chossid, or yirei shomayim. It's more like kosher entertainment, in the category of taavos. It's a Yetzer Hara. We do not buy any, but dd borrows them from friends. When she brings one home, I'm also hooked, and it means that her homework (and my housework) will not get done that day, week etc., and Chitas, well....I'm glad that the boys don't read it, because there are other issues with boys.

And I didn't know if there was a way I could keep my younger daughter from getting started, but now, hisorerus, I'll try your technique!

shalhevet

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 12:05 pm
deleted

Last edited by shalhevet on Mon, Feb 20 2017, 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total

hisorerus

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 12:09 pm
I have a problem with the value systems, the subliminal messages in a secular book. And after I read a (kosher) romance novel, I feel a little gross. They totally miss the point. All the romance occurs before the chasuna. I do not want my daughters IY"H to have fantasy ideas about dating, how would I be able to make limits with boy/girl interactions?

I don't think a child need feel deprived because things are limited. Kosher food is limited, is that a Chinuch problem? Do you have kids running off to McDonalds Chas Veshalom because they say "you never let me eat anything"?

It's all in how it's portrayed, IMHO.

I know I didn't fully answer imaginary DD's question in this interaction, but did the point come across clearly? I obviously would not leave it at that, but explain why I don't want her reading X Y or Z.

gryp

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 12:22 pm
hisorerus, I think its very good, and you have the right attitude.
but I dont know if I "get" the age of your (imaginary) daughter. and probably this will come up again and again as a girl gets older, with different answers each time.
otherwise, I like it. a job well done.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 12:32 pm
Sara, hisorerus doesnt want her daughter to read because of content, not how it's written.

His, I agree with you that many of today's thrillers are really not meant for a Jewish home. but there are plenty of teen novels that are perfectly kosher and even educational. I think there should be SOME leeway. Children who are too restricted eventually may explode and go 'off'.

What about the weeklies like the mishpacha and yated? or the spotlight, highlights (jewish version), those are good for kids to read and kosher?

nehama

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 1:29 pm
Hisorerus, so what would you let your kids read? There aren't really many Lubavitch books that I've found. When I was younger, even only Jewish books was too limited for me!
But that's a great ideal, and a great way of getting it across without it turning into a fight.

didan

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 1:31 pm
B"H

Actually, when I was "younger" I used to read a lot of Jewish history books. Not to say I didn't read all the Jewish novels and some other garbage occassionally, but there are many very interesting Historia books out there.

FullTimeMom

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 2:00 pm
Quote:
I wrote up the following dialogue to show how I might explain my refusal to allow even Jewish novels in the house. What do you think? (Obviously, I haven't reached the stage in life yet where this is necessary.)

Sounds great, but try doing that with a teenager and watch if goes as easily. With a 9 year old, maybe.

Also, when you restrict kids too much, there's a strong possiblity that they'll go to things that are really wrong for them.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 2:03 pm
My mother is Libby Lazewnik. In her defense, let me tell you that her adult novels are exactly that - ADULT novels. They do have themes that portray adults in all kinds of real life situations ie: dating, divorce, widow, and more. She herself does not reccommend them for young teens or even older ones. She is shocked when she hears that kids as young as 12 or less have read her adult books. These book are specifically written with the adult market in mind. Her children's novels and stories which appear in the Yated every week are innocent and full of real life lessons for children to learn while reading an enjoyable story. OTOH, she's gotten some "fan" mail from people rebuking her for using saying that the kid's mother had a big stomach (implying that she was pregnant) in one of her stories.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 2:10 pm
hisorerus, you're entitled to your opinion but I think it's going too far to restrict kids so much. How old are your kids? Do you have to deal with this problem already? Because fanciful imaginary conversations with your daughter might be very different than what wil happen in real life.

goldrose

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 2:25 pm
amother, yes, fanciful imaginary, but hey, at least she's learning, preparing and practicing. how many people can say they do/did that?!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 2:26 pm
amother wrote:
My mother is Libby Lazewnik...

Her adult novels are great, tell her to keep them coming.

Quote:
Some of Libby Lazewnik's books are simply kosherized romance novels.

so what if theres romance in there, as long as its from a jewish perspective - it might help keep teens away from the non jewish romance novels (well maybe not always) but its still good to have an answer to those kids who want good novels but dont want the trash out there)

Quote:
Mindy, Jewish novels are poorly written.

That wouldn't make a different to a kid who's never read the non jewish ones

Im posting as amother cuz hisorerus, we've already had this debate in person.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics