Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
So upset with my son's school right now!-long-advice please!
Previous  1  2

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 9:09 am
they actually sent me a bill this summer for $1000 extra for the small class that he was in last year. I told them that I never signed anything specifically and never asked to be in the small class and if anything I didn't want him there, so they took that $1000 off of my money owed to them.

Chutzpah right?

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 12:09 pm
Passaic amother who got her son switched, what was the deciding factor for them to agree to switch your son?
Was Mrs.K fighting you as tough as she is me?

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 12:25 pm
I don't know if this is state or federal law.
Also, I don't know if this only applies to public school.
There is a concept of Least Restrictive Learning Environment & Inclusion
It's is a law that the child has to be educated in the Least Restrictive Environment (at least in the schools near me).
Usually it's used when parents WANT to get their children in the self contained classroom, but the school does not feel it's in the student's best interest. The school relies on LRE law. Again I do not know if it applies here or not.
It's worth a shot to tell the school that you want the LRE for him. Also get it in writing on the IEP. This is SUPER important
DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST, and see if this concept is law in your district, and for private schools.
Sometimes all it takes is the right lingo to let the school know what your son's rights are.
This needs to be done ASAP, before you find that the class is too full to allow another student to enter

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 12:55 pm
I wouldn't even know where to start. who can tell me that?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 4:19 pm
I took me 2 yrs to get him out. The 1st yr they told me that all the other teachers were new and none and they were afraid none of them could deal with him. That year was HORRIBLE. He had a new teacher who had never taught before and the class was in charge of her. I put my foot down the 2nd year and they gave him the only stable teacher in the grade.

Jr high is harder because there are 4 teachers and some of them are not so strong. This year they are all back from last year, but that is unusual.

If he isn't in the class in the morning that should give you ammunition to get him out in the afternoon. Can you speak to his Rebbe from last year? Maybe he can put in a good word for you.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 4:36 pm
I am soo annoyed. I spoke to the main junor high principal again today and he said he spoke to his Rebbe from last year and the teacher said my son was a weak student. I said if that is the case why did he get alephs the whole year? and why did he consistently tell me my son was doing well.he answered"this is what he said" so I answered that I am not lying and he can go check the report cards himself. I said there is a major lack of communication between the teachers/parents/ administration. I have a feeling the principal is manipulating whatever he hears in order to go with what he wants. I also spoke to the school psychologist- whom the principal made call me- he agreed that it makes no sense why they are coming down on us soo hard as I am not asking anything unreasonable. He wants to speak to the doctor from Columbia. I told him honestly at this point, I feel like the school is looking for ammunition against us and I don't know if I want them speaking to this outside help that I go for my son.

This is beyond not normal and If I could switch schools I would do it in a second. I am soo happy my girls got out of there.

Imale1

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 11:51 pm
It sounds like they only care about the money. I feel for you. May Hashem send the right Shaleach to advocate on your sons behalf. I would call the board of Ed and let them know what is going on. The board of Ed pays top dollar for a child to be in a special ed class. If he would be in a regular class they would make much less money. They cannot see beyond the dollar signs and do not have your sons best interest in mind/ at heart. I would also call Columbia University and see if someone there has any suggestions as to how you should proceed. I would get a lawyer involved if needed. Just seeing a letter from a lawyer will make them think twice about playing with your sons future. This service coordinator should not keep her job he should be replaced by someone who will do what is best for the children not her pocketbook. Good Luck!

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 12:31 am
No advice for you op but this thread is making me very nervous. There was lots of discussion about putting my son in the small class this year but in the end we didn't. I think at some point the school may want me to put my son in the class. Does the small class really have no expectations for the students every year? I also think there is probably some miscommunications between some of the principals/ coordinators. The small class is only financially viable if they have enough kids. Although if u don't sign the forms they can't get the boe funding...

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 1:37 am
Sometime last school year there was a thread from a mother in Passaic whose son was in a special class, but not actual special ed, and there were major issues. She was also talking about the director or the teacher who was completely unreasonable and that the school was no help. I remember thinking how strange it was that this lady didn't care at all about the parent's opinion and wasn't returning her phone calls.

I wonder if it was the same school with the same problem director. If it was, you ladies really need to get together and either get rid of her or convince the principal that she is the problem, not you. Good luck!

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 4:59 am
I can't see why you don't see that obviously this schools special Ed program is all about how much money they can make. They don't care about the kids its all about how much they can bill.

The director is just doing her job and the principal is letting her take the fall. Obviously the principal is ignoring you because he wants to pretend he's oblivious.

Op do yourself a favor and find out how much the board of Ed and your insurance is paying. Make a few phone calls. You might be surprised at the answer.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 6:30 am
I don't have enough time to fully respond right now. My experience with the school/director for my child with some issues was dreadful. I found the learning center director to be extremely patronizing. I couldn't deal with it. My boys are no longer there. On a side note, they do not get money from health insurance for anything.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 5:38 pm
I just want to update everyone now. I was upset on Friday and wrote a letter to the principal explaining how last years class and achievement tests, can't be used against my son because legally they didn't provide him with untimed testing like he was legally suppose to have according to the board of ed and that if he doesn't do what is right for my son I will take this further.I then called the special ed coordinator at home on Friday. She acted all fake and said "I don't know why you think I am the one causing this. It's not me but like I told the Principal and the other 4 parents trying to switch, all I need is a letter stating who yours son's tutor will be, their phone number, the name and phone number of the doctor in Columbia, and then he will be switched"

It seemed a little too easy after all the fighting that I have had to do. I got a call 10 minutes later from her saying she spoke again to the English principal (who probably just read my e-mail)and he said no way is my son switching and he is having a meeting with the head of the school to discuss my son.

The whole shabbos I was nervous that they will kick my son out of English- not because of my son- but because of the English principal's ego and I felt like I made matters worse.
So after Shabbos I wrote a letter to the head of the school detailing all the correspondence I have had with the coordinator and principals and saying that I only feel it is right he should know where we are coming from.

I don't know if he got the e-mail. But B"H today we had Hebrew orientation in school. My husband went and happened to see the head of the school there. He asked to speak to the head for a few minutes. The head really listened and was upset that no one was communicating with us normally. He gave my husband his personal cell phone and said that is he does't call us tomorrow, then my husband should call him.

I am hoping all with be resolved tomorrow.I am crossing my fingers.

For the AMOTHER who wants to know about the small class. Do everything in your power to avoid it, because once you get in there, they don't let you leave. Your son won't learn anything and they will charge you extra for that!
Most kids in my sons class were behavior issues and not academic reasons. Even though my son wasn't a behavior issue, the class was very distracting for him.

cbg

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 6:11 pm
They may make you sign something please be careful what you sign.
Also, just because he is in a mainstream class does not mean he loses out on services and accommodations.
Even if he is in mainstream, he is allowed untimed tests if that is what is stated on the IEP. Make sure you still get an iep that states that you the parent decided that for your son's best educational interest he should be in the mainstream class with the support needed (extra testing time, therapies, etc), because it will be his LRE (very important to state this), especially if you are trying to get him into another school next year. You need documentation that all you did was advocate for your son's educational rights
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics