Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What perfume do you wear?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Do you wear perfume?
Daily  
 29%  [ 39 ]
special occasions  
 47%  [ 62 ]
never  
 22%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 131

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 8:30 am
Tomer Devorah grad here... we definitely learned this Navi! (11th grade to be exact) What would possess you to generalize? In fact, I remember raising my hand and offering the example regarding the soft pockets of perfume hidden in their shoes and my teacher didn't want to get into it 😉 We learned the literal interpretations referring to taller girls walking in between shorter ones in order to accentuate their height.... the overinflated hairstyles and heavy clogs donned in order to add inches...

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 10:12 am
I went to another HS in Brooklyn and we learnt it too..

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 10:26 am
amother wrote:
You learned sefer yeshayahu? I didn't know they teach in BY! Good to know.
*A* BY. Not all schools are the same. Rolling Eyes

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 10:27 am
amother wrote:
Tomer Devorah grad here... we definitely learned this Navi! (11th grade to be exact) What would possess you to generalize? In fact, I remember raising my hand and offering the example regarding the soft pockets of perfume hidden in their shoes and my teacher didn't want to get into it 😉 We learned the literal interpretations referring to taller girls walking in between shorter ones in order to accentuate their height.... the overinflated hairstyles and heavy clogs donned in order to add inches...

Mrs. Falik?

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 10:27 am
amother wrote:
You learned sefer yeshayahu? I didn't know they teach in BY! Good to know.

I think all the high schools in monsey teach yeshayahu. (Not including chasidish - no clue)

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 10:31 am
If someone gets close enough to smell me, I may as well smell good! For everyday I love D&G light blue and Burberry sport. For at home, I love Coco Mademoiselle.
Nuxe multipurpose oil smells very good and is a moisturizer. I find it simultaneously warm and fresh.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 11:12 am
J'adore by dior is great for a sophisticated evening.
Otherwise, it's viva la juicy every day!
What's wrong with a bit of perfume? Just to make you smell fresh? The navi is referring to those women who you can literally smell for an entire city block...

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 11:32 am
I collect perfumes. It's all personal, one's taste and how long it lasts on your skin.

animeme

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 11:33 am
A reminder-request to all of the perfume-wearing women here to please not wear any to shul on Rosh Hashanah. People have assigned seats, shul is more full, and the person next to or in back or front of you may be sensitive or allergic to scents. Thank you, and enjoy otherwise!

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 11:43 am
Fox wrote:
I just started getting into fragrance this past year, so I'll participate belatedly.

I layer Tom Ford's Velvet Orchid and Tobacco Vanille. I buy the Tobacco Vanille from a decanter because it's hideously expensive. My DIL, who got me into fragrances, smelled the combination and said, "You realize that you don't actually have enough money to smell that rich?!" I thought that was cute!

I also like Narciso Rodriguez L'Absolu.

On my "to try" list:

The One by Dolce & Gabbana
Shalimar by Guerlain
Hypnotic Poison by Dior
Spice Bomb by Viktor & Rolf
Another Oud by Juliette Has A Gun

I love watching YouTube fragrance reviews, and I've learned a lot, including the fact that one of the reasons I never liked fragrances was because I always got or was given ones that had a strong powdery note. Once I learned the notes I like, I got a lot more enthusiastic.

I don't want to smell Tobacco Vanille, because I will almost certainly love it.

For summer, I switch off between DKNY Be Delicious and Dg Light Blue.

For winter, I have Flower Bomb, Prada Amber and ... darn, can't remember what else.

And Philosophy's Fresh Cream. Not very sophisticated, but I love it.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 11:47 am
animeme wrote:
A reminder-request to all of the perfume-wearing women here to please not wear any to shul on Rosh Hashanah. People have assigned seats, shul is more full, and the person next to or in back or front of you may be sensitive or allergic to scents. Thank you, and enjoy otherwise!

No. Just no. A reasonable amount is ok. I say that as a migrainer. You cannot bar people from wearing (normal) perfume, or bring allergens (no, our schools don't ban them). This is outside not your house.

EishesYo

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 12:00 pm
I wear perfume for my husband. If I wear to a wedding or on shabbos it is a mist placed on at least two hours before im expected somewhere. In seminary a smart teacher told us that if we would like to wear perfume on a date it should be put on a few hours before the aranged time, as halachically a man is not allowed to smell a woman's perfume other than his wife when she is taharo. There are shuls that request that women dont wear perfumes when they come to shul because the men can smell it and it becomes a problem!

animeme

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 12:06 pm
Ruchel wrote:
No. Just no. A reasonable amount is ok. I say that as a migrainer. You cannot bar people from wearing (normal) perfume, or bring allergens (no, our schools don't ban them). This is outside not your house.

I hear you, but it's two days a year, for a few hours. A dot on each of your wrists and I may not be able to sit there for more than 15 minutes. And I have nowhere else to sit.

I'm not barring- it's a request, with information as to why I'm making it. Many people don't know that this can and does stop people from davening in shul on Rosh Hashanah, and can be a real distraction or difficulty for others.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 12:10 pm
No Mrs. Trieger 😀

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 12:13 pm
amother wrote:
It says in ישעיהו פרק ג
About ותלכנה בנות ציון
Most schools don't learn Yeshaya except Bobov and Bais Brocho.

I wear different perfumes for different occasions.

I wear lotions from bed bath and beyond or a floral scent one for daily

Ecilat for shabbos /weddings

Versace bright crystal for shabbos

La coste touch of pink - husband's favorite smell

Here are other popular flavors but not necessarily my taste or do I own.

Chance chanel

Ralph Lauren Romance

Chanel no 5

Coco channel madamoisel

Valentino

Georgia armani-Acqua di Gioia

Vera wang princess

Marc Jacobs daisy 40+ yr olds

Davidoff cool water

Miss Dior

Issey miyake more for 45+ yr olds

Christin Dior -30-45 yr old

Viva la juicey

I actually smelled all of them and this what friends have recommended.

If anything Marc Jacobs daisy is the perfect starter perfume for a young girl because it's so light. Chanel no 5 is an older lady perfume though they've been trying to revamp its image, chance is their lighter scent.

Fox

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:18 pm
One of the new words I've learned this year is "sillage" (see-azh) -- the degree to which one's perfume lingers in the air when worn. Sometimes this is also referred to as "throw," as in, "Dior's Poison has a really big throw."

Some fragrances have a lot of sillage, and some have very little, but it's a mistake to put on tons of a fragrance with very light sillage in hope of extending its reach. That's usually the cause of the awful suspicion that the woman next to you at shul is a North Korean agent who is secretly launching afloral-scented gas attack.

The idea is that some fragrances are meant to have a very light throw and others, a heavier throw. You use different fragrances to achieve the effect rather than dousing yourself in the stuff.

FYI, The "old lady" quality that all of us recognize is usually referred to as a "powdery note." I'm not a fan personally, but some people like it.

I mentioned using a decanting company before, so let me explain this for anyone who isn't familiar with it. It was definitely news to me when I first learned about it, and I love it.

Basically, there are companies that buy quantities of fragrances and simply decant them into smaller containers. You can buy anywhere from literally one or two shpritzes to a few teaspons.

It's a great way to test out a fragrance over a few days as opposed to having to make a snap decision at the store counter. It's also a great way to buy fragrances that would be too expensive in their conventionally-sold sizes.

I personally use Surrender to Chance. I tried them because they had good reviews from fragrance gurus plus I liked all the educational stuff on their website; I've been very pleased.

Obviously, the cost varies, but a lot of the small sizes (30-50 sprays) are in the $4-$10 range. As a basis for comparison, the smallest bottle of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille runs $230. However, the 15-ml decant (approximately 250 sprays) is $36. Shelling out $230 at once is outside my price range, but I'm willing to contribute $36 a couple of times a year toward Tom's well-being*and smelling richer than I am.

Another company that I've used for gift-giving but never ordered for myself is
Scentbird. It's a subscription service for $14.95 per month. They send you a 30-day supply of the perfume of your choice every month, and you can buy larger bottles if you wish.

* And if you think our kids have issues because of tznius and/or dress codes, spare a moment of pity for 4-year-old Jack Ford, whose father famously banned his beloved dinosaur light-up shoes and has extended the ban to wearing anything "tacky." On the scariness scale of dress code enforcers, I think both nuns and Bais Yaakov principals would be eclipsed by Tom Ford any day.

etky

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 1:27 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
If anything Marc Jacobs daisy is the perfect starter perfume for a young girl because it's so light. Chanel no 5 is an older lady perfume though they've been trying to revamp its image, chance is their lighter scent.

ITA . Many of the Marc Jacob fragrances - certainly Daisy and most of its flankers, target younger audiences. Most are very light and fruity.
Chanel is attempting to win younger consumers for No 5 with the new No 5 L'Eau formulation of the classic scent.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 2:16 pm
EishesYo wrote:
halachically a man is not allowed to smell a woman's perfume other than his wife when she is taharo.

Urgh. Says who? My chassidishe KT disagreed.

That said, if YOU hold that way, don't wear it. 2 hours before either still has a smell, or doesn't and then why?

crust

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 3:47 pm
animeme wrote:

And not to eat/fry onions or garlic before coming to shuhl.

And get rid of your moth balls! At wits end

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Sep 06 2017, 4:06 pm
crust wrote:
And not to eat/fry onions or garlic before coming to shuhl.

And get rid of your moth balls! At wits end

Who cares about onions and garlic. Just don't eat beans.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics