Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Summer family road trip-- ideas and advice please!!!
Previous  1  2

saw50st8

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 4:45 pm
I've done lots of road trips (as a kid and now with my family). Wherever you decide to go, here's my recommendation:

1) Try to find a loop so you aren't tracing your steps as much
2) Drive for 1-2 hours first thing in the morning, stop for an activity, drive another 1-2 hours, do another activity and then drive another 1-2 or so. You can cover 5-6 hours easily and it doesn't feel like much
3) Vary the types of stuff you go to and try to find what's good about the local area. Don't just go hiking or just go to museums.
4) I really like planning on TripAdvisor because you can look at where activities are on a map and you can save them all to your trip folder. Once you do that, it will populate the map of activities for you and you can plan them day by day

vicki

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 5:17 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
I've done lots of road trips (as a kid and now with my family). Wherever you decide to go, here's my recommendation:

1) Try to find a loop so you aren't tracing your steps as much
2) Drive for 1-2 hours first thing in the morning, stop for an activity, drive another 1-2 hours, do another activity and then drive another 1-2 or so. You can cover 5-6 hours easily and it doesn't feel like much
3) Vary the types of stuff you go to and try to find what's good about the local area. Don't just go hiking or just go to museums.
4) I really like planning on TripAdvisor because you can look at where activities are on a map and you can save them all to your trip folder. Once you do that, it will populate the map of activities for you and you can plan them day by day

I agree with the loop idea so as to see more things. We've taken a 13 day trip out West. 80 West then 25 South and then 40 East. Eventually back NE to the NY/NJ area.
We stopped in: Cleveland, Chicago, Des Moines, Grand Island (Nebraska), Denver, Santa Fe, Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Memphis, Atlanta, Richmond and home.
We camped every night except for Shabbat and another here or there. We did one nice thing in each state we stayed: water park, white water rafting, Pikes Peak in Colorado, Georgia O'Keefe museum, Oklahoma City national memorial...
The kids watched DVDs most of the way and we had not one word of "Are we there yet".

You can turn South at Des Moines, Iowa and then head East at Little Rock if you have fewer days.
Go for it!

sky

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 5:35 pm
Like Rubber Ducky said if you have AAA you can order tons of books on their web sites. My kids enjoy trips so much more when they have maps, tour books, and other paraphanelia. It really keeps them busy in the back seat.

Ilovemaryland

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 6:13 pm
Florida is murderously hot in August and its very far

Go to NH . See NY CT Vermont Massachusetts Maine along the way
Its really really beautiful and scenic

amother
Violet

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:14 pm
Wow- thanks everyone!! Such great tips and advice- I'm going to have to reread the thread right before the trip so I can remember all the advice about traveling with kids..

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:18 am
mommish613 wrote:
If you do end up near lake George area check out Ausable Chasm- amazing amazing beautiful place for kids of all ages!

THIS!!

Ausable Chasam, High Falls Gorge, Lake Placid and Mt. Washinton are all relatively close to each other and a ton of fun!

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:32 am
NIAGARA FALLS, ON!
www.niagarakosherpizza.com
www.jewishniagara.com

1.5 hours from toronto
2 hours from Rochester

amother
Violet

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 9:06 am
Ausable Chasm looks incredible but has anyone done it with a baby? I saw that you can rent a baby carrier there because strollers are not allowed.. just wondering if anyone has done the tour and the boat ride with a baby!!

benny

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 9:44 am
We've done it with a 2 year old and worked. It was amazing!

mommish613

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 9:46 am
benny wrote:
We've done it with a 2 year old and worked. It was amazing!

Same here did with a 2 year old. Could def see someone doing it with a baby. Someone above posted that they did. I would call before for details.

sky

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 10:39 am
We rented a baby carrier when we went. They let my 18 month (I think that was the age) go on a raft as long as the life jacket stayed on - it did. Its a gorgeous hike. We've done it twice.
If you plan on doing lots of stops like that it may be worth it to buy a baby carrier. It gives you a lot more flexibility.
We went one time with only very young kids who are great walkers. I did get scared at some points were there are huge drops but we just held onto everyone very tightly (there are guard rails).
Bring suntan lotion and a hat for the baby in carrier - I remember the baby in teh carrier being very exposed to the sun.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics