Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Tv on shabbes on timer
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 1:13 pm
EstiS wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
greenfire wrote:

but is it really shabbosdik ... NOPE ...

what I thought too. But are books really better? I wonder.

many people don't read secular books on shabbos.

I never heard of orthodox people leaving TV on a timer unless they were orthodox rebels.
(the only time I heard of it being acceptable was during the gulf war where people left TVs on and radios on, BUT they closed them off in cupboards or closed off rooms and only went to check them during news hour.)

I doubt its allowed and is not comparable with lights and air con.
whereas lights and air-cons/heaters are there to help us enjoy and honor shabbos properly, having a TV on takes away from the kovod of shabbos.
see the difference?

Personally I see.
But boredom, or even books, takes away from kovod too.

Frumom

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 1:18 pm
Reading books vs. watching tv on Shabbos are so different, give me a break... you can't fool G-D.

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 1:26 pm
amother wrote:
I never see peolple do ths . put tv on a timer but I have seen shaboos lights

just cause you haven't seen this doesn't mean it does not exist ... Rolling Eyes

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 1:28 pm
EstiS wrote:
greenfire I've thought about that many times, but the knowledge that I'll forget to turn it back on after shabbos stops me from turning it off.
What

yup but I don't care much ... sometimes I do not remember till sunday midday ... my week is hectic enough so I will not be overtaken by a phone ...

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 7:44 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Personally I see.

as I mentioned before, thats why many people refrain from secular books on shabbos. For some people its considered mamash asur.

but still a book is not comparable to TV

as far as boredom, there is always something to be found to do, keep yourself prepared with reading material, learning material, visit friends, take a stroll..etc

faigie

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 7:53 pm
shoshb, I remember learning that, but sorry I have no quotes........
Estie, I once visited a person on shabbos, and realized that I was stepping on their newly delivered mail, you see, they dont even pick it up off of the floor because it is a devar shel yom chol........ they dont read newspapers or anything that isnt spiritual at all.

Atali

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 8:18 pm
Quote:
Estie, I once visited a person on shabbos, and realized that I was stepping on their newly delivered mail,

I recall learning that newly delivered mail is muktzah since anything that wasn't prepared for shabbos use before shabbos is muktzah and since the mail hadn't yet been delivered, it obviously wasn't intended to be read on Shabbos.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 8:31 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Shabbos clocks are only allowed for heat/AC and light (as are Shabbos non jews).

You are also not allowed to have noise in your house from an assur activity - for example, you are not allowed to leave your dryer on on Shabbos even though you started it before Shabbos. I remember on the thread about a cleaner coming on YT, someone said her rav had said she wasn't allowed to vacuum - presumably for the same reason.

Those are the purely halachic reasons, apart, of course, from it not being a Shabbosdik activity (at the very least).

I have never heard of not being allowed to have a dryer that was started before shabbat kept going. You might be wrong on that.

I know many people who set an alarm clock so that they wake up on time for shul. while some rabbonim might not allow it, there are many who do.

A TV on a timer is plain not shabbosdik (for lack of a better word). It may not be assur, but it is definitely not within the spirit of the law.

We were told that if we had our cleaning lady come on shabbat/yom tov, she was able to do whatever she wanted to make her job easier, but, we should not tell her to do it, and preferably, she should do it when we were not in the house.

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 9:26 pm
hey slipping on the mail can be a sakkanah ... too dangerous to leave ...

chavamom

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 9:51 pm
Funny you bring this up. One of my dd's has a new girl in her class, moved here from a much more modern (and monied) community. This girl has stirred up a lot of conflict in class, telling the kids her OLD teachers said it was ok for her to wear pants, that she doesn't have to do x, y or z. DD came home from school OUTRAGED b/c the girl told them it was fine to watch TV on yom tov if it's on a timer. I honestly hadn't heard of anyone doing this in years. When I was younger it was more an "uneducated" thing to do - you might keep shabbos to the degree that you know how, but you have to have *something* to do with the kids while your husband is in shul. So people would set the timer and let them watch Sat. morning cartoons. That kind of attitude. Well, this kid is definitely *not* from a Jewishly uneducated family. I'm really sorry to hear that this "practice" is having a resurgence.

TammyTammy

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 10:01 pm
Don't have much to add here except that, even if technically allowed, it really does not fit the spirit of shabbos.

Tammy

Atali

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 10:10 pm
Quote:

hey slipping on the mail can be a sakkanah ... too dangerous to leave ...

One is allowed to move any muktzah item that is a sakana as long as there is more than one person (or even one small child) in the house, but my mail is not a sakana to anyone when it is sitting in my mailbox.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 10:32 pm
Atali is correct. Mail is muktza and cannot be handled.
but I agree with greenfire that it would be dangerous to leave it in a place where people could slip.
they should at least kick it to the side

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 12:02 pm
EstiS wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
Personally I see.

as I mentioned before, thats why many people refrain from secular books on shabbos. For some people its considered mamash asur.

but still a book is not comparable to TV

as far as boredom, there is always something to be found to do, keep yourself prepared with reading material, learning material, visit friends, take a stroll..etc

I know some don't read secular books, still have to meet them irl but I have heard of it definitely.

Boredom: what do you do when
- you have a baby and would rather not do like the other women in the community who push the carriage (except one actually, I discovered her recently because she can never go to shul!)
- most friends live far
- people in the community do not invite each other, and you're the only young mom/wife anyway
- there is nothing at shul after the prayers

You're stuck with books and sleeping. Younger people play board games, domino, but honestly.... yeah lol

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 12:04 pm
chavamom wrote:
Funny you bring this up. One of my dd's has a new girl in her class, moved here from a much more modern (and monied) community. This girl has stirred up a lot of conflict in class, telling the kids her OLD teachers said it was ok for her to wear pants, that she doesn't have to do x, y or z. DD came home from school OUTRAGED b/c the girl told them it was fine to watch TV on yom tov if it's on a timer. I honestly hadn't heard of anyone doing this in years. When I was younger it was more an "uneducated" thing to do - you might keep shabbos to the degree that you know how, but you have to have *something* to do with the kids while your husband is in shul. So people would set the timer and let them watch Sat. morning cartoons. That kind of attitude. Well, this kid is definitely *not* from a Jewishly uneducated family. I'm really sorry to hear that this "practice" is having a resurgence.

As far as I know it never went away here.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 12:10 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Shabbos clocks are only allowed for heat/AC and light (as are Shabbos non jews).

You are also not allowed to have noise in your house from an assur activity - for example, you are not allowed to leave your dryer on on Shabbos even though you started it before Shabbos. I remember on the thread about a cleaner coming on YT, someone said her rav had said she wasn't allowed to vacuum - presumably for the same reason.

Those are the purely halachic reasons, apart, of course, from it not being a Shabbosdik activity (at the very least).

I have never heard of not being allowed to have a dryer that was started before shabbat kept going. You might be wrong on that.

I definitely heard this as halacha. Of course, there may be other opinions - check with your LOR.

Quote:

I know many people who set an alarm clock so that they wake up on time for shul. while some rabbonim might not allow it, there are many who do.

No, it's definitely allowed. Maybe because it's not a melacha making the noise. I'm not sure.

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 3:42 pm
well don't forget a dryer has a light ... can't open the door or light will turn on ...

shalhevet

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 4:24 pm
greenfire wrote:
well don't forget a dryer has a light ... can't open the door or light will turn on ...

Not on my model...

shoy18

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 4:27 pm
I always thought if you started the dryer before shabbos and it was still going you can just leave it because on most models there is a light and you couldn't open it anyway until after shabbos, and if you leave the laundry wet in the dryer it will start to smell

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 4:46 pm
We learned that if the dryer has no light, you can oopen the dryer and take out what's dry, when you need it, but you can't shut the door because it's preparing for weekday.

There is no din your kaylim have to rest - for example, you don't have to unplug your fax machine or phone...on the other hand, to set noisy machines to run is a shaylah.....
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions