Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Living with 1 sink in your kitchen
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 11:13 pm
crust wrote:
Nowadays, the water coming from the sinks are never hot enough to cause shalos.

THANK YOU! It's nice to have a voice of sanity!

crust

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 11:15 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks, I am asking because I recently moved from a house with 2 sinks to a house with 1 sink and I don't have the option to add another. And even though I have a rack in the sink and I of course keep my dishes separate, my mom decided that my house isn't kosher enough for her to eat from anymore. I am having a very hard time accepting her decision especially bec I am not doing anything wrong. It really hurts and it feels like a form of rejection toward me. I just wanted to confirm that others do the same as I do Sad

I'm really sorry for you. That must've been a slap in the face!
Has your mother never seen kosher kitchens with one sink? They are in for much longer than 2 sink kitchens....
Maybe you can talk to her rav? Sorry if this is unsolicited advice. Smile I hope you can smooth things out. It's definitely not easy to hear this from a mother.

L K

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 12:33 am
crust wrote:

When your drain trap gets clogged with debris (common thing, one piece of lettuce is enough to block the trap) and hot water running over dishes, and bottom of the pile is sitting in the water- nobody thinks it's not ok lechatchila to put yourself in a situation where you're gonna give dishes a hot bath in a treife sink?

Does everyone measure running water temperature? My cleaning lady would regularly wash dishes in such hot water that I told her to stop- hot water with food debris would splatter into the adjacent sink with dishes in, no fun at all.

Let's differentiate between bedieved and lechatchila here.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 3:30 am
The water used for washing dishes is not hot enough to cause a problem. Draining spaghetti is where you have to be careful. Put the strainer on a rack.
Splashing cold dirty water does not create a problem.
Learn the halachos ladies! And ask away! THIS is what the Rabbonim are trained in!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 4:24 am
Oh boy, don't even remind me of living with one sink... Not listening
I hated it. Two sinks are not a luxury, it's a neccessity.

DrMom

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 4:24 am
2 sinks in the kitchen is a relatively recent luxury.

For centuries, Jews kept kosher with one (or no) sink.

To suggest that one cannot keep a kosher kitchen without 2 sinks is absurd.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 5:11 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Oh boy, don't even remind me of living with one sink... Not listening
I hated it. Two sinks are not a luxury, it's a neccessity.
This is just not true.
Many homes have just one sink and people deal just fine.

OP, this has nothing to do with renting or owning. My parents owned a home for over 30 years. They had a one sink kitchen. Some homes just have one sink.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 5:37 am
Rav Ovadya Yosef had one sink. "Living with..."I thought this was going to be c'v something very bad.

eimhabonim

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 9:01 am
crust wrote:

That really depends on how people wash dishes. If they use very hot water to soak and then pour it out, that can cause a problem. Or if they just like washing in superhot water. You have to know the temperature, and that it can potentially be a problem so you can know to avoid it.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 9:11 am
The hot water in my apt gets super hot, like you can't stick your hand in - it's convenient when I want to soak something but as I have only one sink now 😔 I have to be super careful when I let the water get that hot - because then an oops is much more problematic halachicly
With only 1 sink oops can happen a lot - silverware dropping in to the sink, touching the actual faucet/sides of the sink...
2 sinks are not a neccesity but definitely a high priority luxury for us when we own a house

crust

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 10:54 am
eimhabonim wrote:
That really depends on how people wash dishes. If they use very hot water to soak and then pour it out, that can cause a problem. Or if they just like washing in superhot water. You have to know the temperature, and that it can potentially be a problem so you can know to avoid it.

Is the water hot enough to cause a burn c"v?
If it is then there is a safety issue with it. Especially if you have children.

Last edited by crust on Wed, Dec 20 2017, 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 11:06 am
My super-frum practically OCD about Kashrus grandmother never had two sinks. She came from a Rebishe household and was as makpid about Kashrus as you could get. We knew that in her home our dishes went in the bin (blue or red) and she did the dishes herself.

DH has thoroughly learned Hilchos Basor V'Chalav and has been tested on it...he always says that people make up Halachos. As others have posted, the dishwashing water would not be Yad Soledes - hot enough to make anything treif.

We just moved into a new (for us) home and one of the first things DH did was lower the water heater temperature from the BOIL setting to the HOT setting. He did this for practical purposes more than Kashrus because I do have two sinks in my kitchen. He says the setting should never be so hot that a child could accidentally open the hot water and get a burn. A practical side benefit is that Kashrus issues are much-reduced this way.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 11:15 am
Chayalle wrote:

DH has thoroughly learned Hilchos Basor V'Chalav and has been tested on it...he always says that people make up Halachos. As others have posted, the dishwashing water would not be Yad Soledes - hot enough to make anything treif.

To paraphrase my rabbi, its easy to say that something is forbidden. You have to actually understand the halacha to say its allowed.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 12:17 pm
Double sinks reflect affluence, not halacha. Maybe ask your mother what her mother did.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 4:27 pm
Chayalle wrote:
My super-frum practically OCD about Kashrus grandmother never had two sinks. She came from a Rebishe household and was as makpid about Kashrus as you could get. We knew that in her home our dishes went in the bin (blue or red) and she did the dishes herself.

We just moved into a new (for us) home and one of the first things DH did was lower the water heater temperature from the BOIL setting to the HOT setting. He did this for practical purposes more than Kashrus because I do have two sinks in my kitchen. He says the setting should never be so hot that a child could accidentally open the hot water and get a burn. A practical side benefit is that Kashrus issues are much-reduced this way.

Your DH seems to be a smart husband with a good head on his shoulders!

solo

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 6:25 pm
What’s the point of separate sink racks for meat or dairy?

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 9:59 pm
My mil in Boro Park follows more chumros than anyone I know, many in the realm if kashrus. She has one kitchen sink.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 10:02 pm
solo wrote:
What’s the point of separate sink racks for meat or dairy?

So the sink itself never gets treif.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 10:38 pm
amother wrote:
So the sink itself never gets treif.

I would think that the sink itself probably is treif already. You dont want the dishes touching the treife sink.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 10:44 pm
OP this situation is not really about kashrus it's about your relationship with your mother and hers with you.

Ask a shaila about THAT.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen