Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Knees
  Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next

imasoftov

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 4:46 am
southernbubby wrote:
In some neighborhoods, it's the lady in the short skirt that could need the police!

some people see things as they are and say that's just the way it is

imasoftov

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 4:48 am
southernbubby wrote:
If you look too provocative, they Jews in NY will ignore you but you might get cat calls from the non-Jews.

https://www.ihollaback.org

imasoftov

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 4:50 am
amother wrote:
Did any of you ever hear of the concept of "kol yisroel areivim zeh l'zeh"?

Anyone with a mortgage in Israel knows this ...

imasoftov

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 5:01 am
amother wrote:
... let me explain what it looks like when someone wears a skirt above their knees. In order to do that, you need to consciously buy or obtain clothes that are shorts.

I'm not so into fashion so perhaps that's why I don't know how to wear a pair of shorts as a skirt.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 5:13 am
amother wrote:
For all those that feel we should mind our own business-why is it that when u need our physical help and we dont reach out ur feeling like noone cares but when we care for your spirituality and reach out to u you start playing the between me and gd card. Stop assuming ppl are saying things to hurt u or put u down or to feel holy. Sometimes it just hurts to see the envirement which we will be raising our daughters in and feeling the pain of the decline. It has nothing to do w you or judging others...

"A pious Jew is not one who worries about his fellow man’s soul and his own stomach; a pious Jew worries about his own soul and his fellow man’s stomach." - http://www.aishdas.org/asp/anothers-gashmiyus

imasoftov

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 5:21 am
grace413 wrote:
According to some people, yes. Skirts that cover the ankles are called "rechovi" meaning street like and it's not a compliment.

In my high school the principal's favorite way to criticize something was to say, I must have repressed the exact phrase, but it included "the street", which I suppose was a meaningful thing for him, but for me, the street was how I got to and from school.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 7:00 am
Mommyg8 wrote:

It's just not right to come to a new community and start a trend that wasn't there before.

People do this all the time. That's how communities change.
In Israel charedim often do this on purpose, they decide to settle en masse in a cheap secular or dati leumi area and 'make it their own'. Dati leumi also do it, they start a 'garin torani' with the purpose of changing the community culture.

The world isnt static. If enough ladies in short skirts move to Lakewood, the norms will indeed change.

keym

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 7:54 am
My personal big complaint is on the store owners and clothing manufacturers. If the skirts arent available, then no wonder people struggle to buy the skirts.
I know people will the say that the stores are just a business who sell what people want to buy but yet maybe they should extend themselves a bit more.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 8:37 am
amother wrote:
What's your answer?

And no, not just arrest-warranted bending of the rules; any bit of dishonesty is so completely trounced here. Not that I think that's ok in any way, but if people are all for "don't judge the way I sin" than it has to apply across the board and not only where you see fit.

I agree with you. And I also tell those people to mind their own business. Hippocracy drives me crazy.

DrMom

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 8:56 am
amother wrote:

Mommyg8 wrote:

It's just not right to come to a new community and start a trend that wasn't there before.

People do this all the time. That's how communities change.
In Israel charedim often do this on purpose, they decide to settle en masse in a cheap secular or dati leumi area and 'make it their own'. Dati leumi also do it, they start a 'garin torani' with the purpose of changing the community culture.

The world isnt static. If enough ladies in short skirts move to Lakewood, the norms will indeed change.

This.

Orthodox Jews settled en masse in Lakewood over the past few decades, doubling the population and completely transforming the demographics of a small NJ town.

Look at Ramapo County. The huge influx of Orthodox Jews completely changed the demographics, with consequences for the school district and budgets and politics.

Jews moved into Brooklyn in the early 1900s. Now Hipsters are moving in.

Are these events okay, in your opinion? If so, then what's the problem? The US is a democratic country with freedom of movement from town to town, state to state.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 9:01 am
imasoftov wrote:
I'm not so into fashion so perhaps that's why I don't know how to wear a pair of shorts as a skirt.

I hope this joke is in good spirits.

Otherwise, it is rude to comment in a simple and obvious typo. Just an extra S.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 9:07 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Amother from p. 6, would you consider editing your post?

There is an important and necessary conversation that needs to be had. I don't know if it's going to happen here (still have 2 more pages). We are, as usual, going in circles.

I got hugged! I'm touched! (In the literal sense.)
Is this empathetic or patronizing? I'd love to know.
I don't know if it's worse kitrug to say that it's not just one or two places, it's everywhere, so please don't name places, or just let things rest.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 9:10 am
SixOfWands wrote:
She doesn't seem to care much about anyone's soul. She cares how strangers dress because it makes it hard to enforce HER rules with HER kids.

But here's the thing. If I ask for help, it means I want help. If I simply walk down the street, wearing whatever I'm wearing, I'm not asking for help.

(Back on p. 6)
She's not talking about you, were she to see you walk down the street. She's talking about people she knows personally. This is what makes it hard.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 9:12 am
imasoftov wrote:
some people see things as they are and say that's just the way it is

yeah maybe. My son lives in Ramat Beit Shemesh Bet and supposedly that neighborhood is supposed to be dangerous for any woman who isn't tznius but when I took my grandkids to the playground on a Shabbos there were several women and older girls who were not keeping the neighborhood standard of tznius and nobody bothered them. They may have gotten some dirty looks but they walked about safely. That is a large neighborhood, however, and it may have been that in the Toldos Aharon area it would more problematic to walk around in a short skirt.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 9:14 am
wrote:
To be honest, I don't think it was. It was started by someone whose screenname is lkwdgirl or something like that. I don't think that means she particularly meant Lakewood.

One of my sisters (who did not grow up in Lakewood) told me that a couple of years ago, she was at a Simcha, and overheard two women discussing the difficulty of finding a girl who adheres to their families' tznius standards for their son. They were saying (this is not my words, but what she overheard) that when they inquire about a girl's tznius, there's some hemming and hawing, and they are told the girl's standards are "xxxxxx tznius" which they interpreted as shorter skirts, along with some other less-stringent standards.

And keep in mind that a very high percentage of Lakewood residents are not born and bred Lakewooders; they move here from many other cities across the US and abroad.

So I don't think the OP was addressing only people residing in Lakewood.

Some of my favorite people live in xxxxxx.
Can I invite you to go back and edit? Wink

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 9:32 am
lkwdgirl wrote:
What is with the women around. Do they not know where their knees are? I’m not even saying the skirts are in the middle of the knee but totally above. What are these women thinking? Is there absolutely no yiras shamayim?

OK, here's the OP. Yes, she's a lkwdgirl, though it could be at heart. She's not necessarily talking just about Lakewood.
She's also talking about the trend to wear clearly above the knees, not even in the middle, which I suspect she has issues with.

We're still not having the discussion we should have, but I think it needs to be on a closed forum of women who have, for quite some time now, accepted a certain norm, and are baffled by the changes. No geography is necessary for this conversation. (So are we bashing Jewish women everywhere? Not happy about that either but somehow, there has to be honest conversation. Just not here.)

imasoftov

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 10:32 am
amother wrote:
I hope this joke is in good spirits.

Otherwise, it is rude to comment in a simple and obvious typo. Just an extra S.

It was in good spirits and they will go further if when you're not sure what I mean, you simply ask.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 10:35 am
amother wrote:
One is Bein Adam v’makom and one is Bein Adam vchavuro.

And all Americans are the chavuro.

Dressing in a manner that will be machsil men is a major Bein Adam l'chavuro.

simba

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 10:43 am
southernbubby wrote:
yeah maybe. My son lives in Ramat Beit Shemesh Bet and supposedly that neighborhood is supposed to be dangerous for any woman who isn't tznius but when I took my grandkids to the playground on a Shabbos there were several women and older girls who were not keeping the neighborhood standard of tznius and nobody bothered them. They may have gotten some dirty looks but they walked about safely. That is a large neighborhood, however, and it may have been that in the Toldos Aharon area it would more problematic to walk around in a short skirt.

I have relatives that are Toldos Aharon and live in that part of Meah Shearim. They are extremely accepting of others and have random guests on various levels coming through their home. No safety issue.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 10:44 am
amother wrote:
Dressing in a manner that will be machsil men is a major Bein Adam l'chavuro.

And here we go being machshil men. Do you know I realized we went 10 pages without waving the machshil men flag. This is where it starts getting ugly.
Page 10 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics