Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How to help a child with b/d recognition
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 7:44 pm
OutATowner wrote:
I found that that works for some kids, but if the "bat" is first on the wrong side it doesn't help, meaning, she can think the bat is first even if it's on the right, what we consider "after." I used to sing (tto farmer in the dell)"a bat then the ball...thats how we make a b, a bat then the ball." But the kids wpuld make the bat and then make the ball on the wrong aide, resulting in a d.
Best two tricks: lowercase b "fits into" the uppercase B. Give her a page of uppercase B and gave her highlight the lowercase b inside. Most kids kniw which way the B goes.
Another way, make fists with thumbs up and fists facing eachother. Hold up the left hand, say b, right hand forms a d. If she practices this enough she will learn to use her hands as a reference. Worked with some of my students who had the most difficult time. If I am not explaining it clearly, please let me know.

One more, more for writing- "c then d." Make a lowercase c, adding the line makes it a d. Also Worked for my students.

Good ideas. Re the bolded, I was going to suggest making the b with the left and the d with the right, and imagine them with lines in between to from a bed. With that visual, you can make fists and then determine with is the b and which is the d.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics