Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Would you do plastic surgery if u had $$?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

octopus

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 6:55 pm
I wouldn't put braces in the same realm of surgery. Because it isn't. Confused But I agree that I would do lasik if I could! because that's a practicality. I don't feel comfortable fixing the rest of my imperfections as those are purely aesthetic.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 7:02 pm
I'd like to do botox one day.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 7:05 pm
I'm the only one who wants a breast augmentation? embarrassed (nothing to do with DH, just so I wouldn't look pregnant whenever I gain 5 lb Exploding anger )

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 7:16 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the only one who wants a breast augmentation? embarrassed (nothing to do with DH, just so I wouldn't look pregnant whenever I gain 5 lb Exploding anger )

I would!!
Along with a nose job and liposuction on my thighs

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 7:29 pm
I know lots of yeshivish ppl who've had nose jobs and even one well known rebbetzin who had Botox. I wouldn't exactly call this "putting yourself under the knife"

SuperWify

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 7:33 pm
I wouldn’t I’m beautiful the way gd made me.
(Ok maybe a tummy tuck for the extra baby weight...)

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 9:09 pm
I got a nose job and I’m very happy I did.
Maybe because I had a good experience, I would do an alteration if there was something I hated e.g. I would like my bre@sts to be slightly lifted after four kids and I will probably do it one day. I don’t think I’m strong enough internally to feel confident and s-xy naked in a noticeably flawed body. While ‘going under the knife’ sounds terrifying, I wasn’t awake for it and I just had a bandage for a week before looking significantly better (IMO) forever.
I see both sides and I admire women who feel s-xy no matter how their bodies compare to conventional standards of beauty.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 9:43 pm
amother wrote:
I know lots of yeshivish ppl who've had nose jobs and even one well known rebbetzin who had Botox. I wouldn't exactly call this "putting yourself under the knife"

A nose job is putting yourself under the knife it’s a major surgery. Botox isn’t surgery but it is injecting poison into your face.

cnc

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 9:59 pm
tf wrote:
I wouldn't do it regardless of religious standing. I would simply not put myself under the knife for beauty purposes. Even for my weight. I am about 60 lbs overweight and consider myself the skinniest person around. Not weight-wise, but because my health is BH better than anyone my age. People my age already have different types of aches n pains, heart disease and /or diabetes. My only thing is that I'm overweight. I sing and dance every day to Hashem that I'm healthy BH. Put myself under the knife for beauty purposes? ! NEVER EVER!!!!!!!!

Love your attitude!

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 10:14 pm
I had a nose job that was medically necessary (to fix a broken nose) a few years ago. I'd always hated my nose and was glad to have the opportunity, but I'd never do it voluntarily (as a matter of fact, my parents offered me as a teen to get it done, but I didn't want it - I did it in my 20s, married for a few years).

I'm happy with the results, but I still wouldn't have done it if I didn't have to. It is surgery, it requires a lot of doctor's visits and recovery time - and you're not supposed to be in the sun for a year afterwards! And it hurts, and comes with all sorts of weird side effects that last a long time. (And I'm totally not a baby about medical stuff or pain at all - quite the opposite!) Sure, I'd love some lipo or even breast implants (I'm super flat) but not going to put myself through that.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 6:16 am
No. I'm fine as is, plus money doesn't prevent c'v complications.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 7:14 am
I would totally do a tummy tuck if it was quick and painless. Got my badge of honor belly hanging over and if I dont wear a good girdle you can see the shape thru my skirt

I've had plenty other surgeries and pain filled recovery times, I think I'll pass:
3 c-sections
Gallbladder removed
Foot surgery
And a few colonoscopies (which I know aren't surgeries but it's the going under anesthesia)

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 7:19 am
As far as I know, unnecessary surgery is assur.

That said, I've asked a shaila and reduction is on the table for me when I'm done having children and nursing.

Beingreal

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 8:02 am
No...I love myself!

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 10:03 am
amother wrote:
I had a nose job that was medically necessary (to fix a broken nose) a few years ago. I'd always hated my nose and was glad to have the opportunity, but I'd never do it voluntarily (as a matter of fact, my parents offered me as a teen to get it done, but I didn't want it - I did it in my 20s, married for a few years).

I'm happy with the results, but I still wouldn't have done it if I didn't have to. It is surgery, it requires a lot of doctor's visits and recovery time - and you're not supposed to be in the sun for a year afterwards! And it hurts, and comes with all sorts of weird side effects that last a long time. (And I'm totally not a baby about medical stuff or pain at all - quite the opposite!) Sure, I'd love some lipo or even breast implants (I'm super flat) but not going to put myself through that.

Is it possible that all your complications were due to the fact that your nose was broken? I got a nose job. One consultation, one 45 minute surgery, and then had to wear a bandage for a week. I did not use my pain meds, they weren’t necessary. Contact sports and sunbathing weren’t recommended for a year but I just made sure not to fall on my face as I often am, and sunbathing is always extremely unhealthy and to be avoided. I never even got a nosebleed afterward. 🤷🏻‍♀️

doctorima

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 10:07 am
finallyamommy wrote:
As far as I know, unnecessary surgery is assur.

Personal preference issues aside, I once read the following comprehensive write-up of the halachic issues involved in elective surgery:

Q: The Gemora in Bava Kamma (91b) derives from 9:5 that it is forbidden to injure one's body. Does having plastic surgery for cosmetic reasons violate this prohibition? (Shu”t Igros Moshe Choshen Mishpat 2:66, Shu”t Chelkas Yaakov Choshen Mishpat 31, Shu”t Minchas Yitzchok 6:105, Shu”t Minchas Shlomo 2:86, Shu”t Tzitz Eliezer 11:41, Shu”t Mishneh Halachos 4:246-7)

A: In the case of a woman who wanted to have plastic surgery to improve her appearance, Rav Moshe Feinstein rules that it is permissible. He quotes the Rambam (Hilchos Choveil U'Mazik 5:1), who specifies that the Torah prohibition against injuring a person (including oneself) only applies when it is done maliciously and degradingly, which is not the case in a surgical procedure. Even if one disagrees with this distinction, Rav Moshe permits the surgery due to the fact that it is being done willingly and for the well-being of the woman. This is also the opinion of the Chelkas Yaakov.

In the case of a woman who felt that her unattractive nose diminished her chances of marrying and wanted to have it surgically altered, Rav Menashe Klein cites Talmudic sources indicating that medical procedures were performed at that time to improve appearance, thereby proving their permissibility. He adds that it is forbidden for a man to undergo surgery solely to enhance his looks, as attempting to beautify himself in this manner violates the prohibition against adopting female garb and conduct (Devorim 22:5). However, if his appearance causes him such discomfort that he avoids interacting with others, surgery would then be permissible.

Dayan Yitzchok Yaakov Weiss agrees that cosmetic surgery does not violate the prohibition against injuring oneself, but he is hesitant to permit any elective surgery due to the inherent risk involved, and he concludes that the subject needs further study.

On the other hand, Rav Eliezer Waldenberg strongly prohibits all cosmetic surgery. He argues that it is forbidden both for the doctor, who is only given permission by the Torah to heal sick patients but not to perform unnecessary procedures on healthy people, and for the patient, who has no right to ask the doctor to wound him simply to enhance his appearance. Additionally, on a theological level, he maintains that plastic surgery is an insult to Hashem, implying that He created a person defectively and incorrectly.

Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach permits cosmetic surgery if it is being done to remove a blemish which causes a person psychological suffering and embarrassment, but forbids elective procedures which are done solely to enhance one's appearance. For practical questions, one should consult a competent Rabbinical authority.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 10:25 am
amother wrote:
I would and I'm someone that doesn't even do mani pedis or waxings or laser. But if I had money I'd do a tummy tuck and a boob lift. I would not advertise that I'm doing it and no one would know besides me and my DH.

Are we twins?
While I’m at it thin my thighs and upper arms
And take care of my dangling neck.
Liposculpture.
If I wasn’t scared I would do it

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 10:31 am
amother wrote:
Is it possible that all your complications were due to the fact that your nose was broken? I got a nose job. One consultation, one 45 minute surgery, and then had to wear a bandage for a week. I did not use my pain meds, they weren’t necessary. Contact sports and sunbathing weren’t recommended for a year but I just made sure not to fall on my face as I often am, and sunbathing is always extremely unhealthy and to be avoided. I never even got a nosebleed afterward. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I needed extensive work to straighten my septum, maybe that did it. The inside of my nose was swollen and dry for a very long time. I wouldn't call the aftereffects complications, they were all within the range of normal, but it was definitely uncomfortable. Plus, it reverted a bit and is not completely, perfectly straight, which is also normal - my doctor (one of the country's top-rated plastic surgeons) said that cartilage has "memory" and often goes back to its original shape somewhat.

Oh, and I also never used my pain meds. I think I actually still have them.

iammom

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:49 am
I would if I had the money. I would get a tummy tuck and small breast job just to make them look nice. I have a few kids - you can imagine what they look like.

If I had to choose between the 2, I'd do the tummy tuck. I hate my baby bulge.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 12:28 pm
Definitely a boob reduction. Like shrink them by at least 4 sizes...I would do it if I had money and no one will know except hubby
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics